No Controls on iOS lock screen

• Contributor I
  • 4 replies

Hi Guys,

I have the latest sonos app version (15.1.1) and the latest iOS firmware (16.3.1) and i can’t see the controls sonos app on my lock screen.

The few same issues related on the forum are outdated.

Can you help me please to resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance,

Regards.

I have 3 Play:1 and 1 Roam at home.

Moderator note: We updated this article in October 2023 with new information below.

We’ve removed the ability to control the Sonos app for iOS using lock screen controls and device hardware buttons. The way these features were architected do not meet Apple’s experience guidelines for developers and no longer offer a reliable control experience.

The alternatives to controlling volume, mute, tracks that I’m aware of are:

• Voice control (acknowledging OP rejects this option)
  • Opening up app on phone (again, acknowledging rejection)
  • ‘hard buttons’ on the speakers themselves.
  • For home theatre room, TV remote controls will control volume and mute
  • Various third party smart home remotes
  • Using a different device (tablet, iPad, Mac, PC) that does not lock to control Sonos.

Here’s the release notes about the change.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/release-notes-for-sonos-s2

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

22 replies

Badge +1

It’s not just you, this is unfortunately a really common issue and I’ve yet to see a solid solution. 

It hasn’t worked reliably for me for years. Lock Screen controls are wildly inconsistent for me, often not working at all. They’ll randomly work for a day and then I won’t see them for weeks. It’s incredibly frustrating. 

I’d love to hear any tips people have of how to get them to work consistently, but so far nothing has worked for me. 

(also @only_sleeping, great taste. Love four tet and skee mask)

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Lockscreen controls disappeared again yesterday evening. I tried a reset of the router this morning to see if I could replicate the settings and event that brought them back yesterday - I could not. 

I also tried the “Reset app” function from within the Sonos app, which brought the controls back, I suspect temporarily though. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Interesting. Last time the lock screen worked just after setting up a new router (my broadband had been upgraded).

This afternoon, my router has had...some kind of episode (and some of the devices ip addresses have been reset - maybe an error and then a restart?) - now the lockscreen controls are back. I’m unsure what’s happening here, but maybe something on the network is changing and blocking the lockscreen.

@only_sleeping,

You may want to also research the bonjour ‘discovery’ service too - perhaps start with this link:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/deployment/depf138dd79c/web

Some devices/routers can ‘apparantly’ have intermittent discovery issues and I suspect that may introduce some ‘intermittent’ issues with iOS lock-screen controls too… but it’s not something I’ve personally researched in any depth, as I rarely use the controls, as stated, but maybe it’s related to why you have some intermittent issues with the controls.

I would definitely reboot the network if you change settings and maybe switch off features like ‘WiFi Calling’ and ‘Private Address’ (MAC address spoofing in the properties of the network connection) on your mobile iOS devices, just to see if those things may assist too. 

I don’t think so. 

I’ve read through them and none are applicable in this case, but I do appreciate you you taking the time to check.

The only grey area is my Lyngdorf amplifier which has an Airplay function. I have tried to disable the Airplay input, but it still shows up as an option from the Apple Music app. However, it’s currently showing up and my lockscreen art and controls are functioning, so I’m assuming that’s not the issue.
Are you an iOS user for whom the lockscreen controls work perfectly 100% of the time?

I am an iOS user, but I don’t use the Sonos lock-screen controls, because I have Apple TV’s upstairs and downstairs, so the controls (obviously) would not work for my setup here, because of those operating on the subnet. In the distant past, whenever I’ve just ‘tested’ the feature by switching those ATV’s off, enabled the lock-screen controls in the Sonos App and rebooted the network, the controls  have appeared on my iPad/iPhone and worked okay, but I prefer to have the Apple TV’s, rather than the Sonos lock-screen controls. So can’t really assist to answer your question.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

It’s been gone since my last post above, but is inexplicably back now. 

Is it only a minority of users suffering from this? I wonder what we all have in common. I’d love a solution!  

Do you not think it’s perhaps one, or more, of the lock-screen ‘limitations’ mentioned in the Sonos support articles linked in my earlier post above.

I don’t think so. 

I’ve read through them and none are applicable in this case, but I do appreciate you you taking the time to check.

The only grey area is my Lyngdorf amplifier which has an Airplay function. I have tried to disable the Airplay input, but it still shows up as an option from the Apple Music app. However, it’s currently showing up and my lockscreen art and controls are functioning, so I’m assuming that’s not the issue.
Are you an iOS user for whom the lockscreen controls work perfectly 100% of the time?

Is it only a minority of users suffering from this? I wonder what we all have in common. I’d love a solution!  

Do you not think it’s perhaps one, or more, of the lock-screen ‘limitations’ mentioned in the Sonos support articles linked in my earlier post above?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I was changing the wifi network I use with my amplifier today (Lyngdorf TDAI 1120) and following the setup process to add the device as an airplay speaker.

I ended up getting artwork on the lockscreen when playing through the Sonos Port (not via airplay).

It looked like this: 

I loved it. No idea how I did it, can’t get it back, despite trying for an hour, disabling all other airplay devices, etc. Ridiculous really.

Hi everyone 

I have the same issue. I have tried all options mentioned above and tested it  my iPhone7, iPX, iP14 and iPad. No BT, no ATV, control enabled on app…  There is no controller shown… iPadOS16.4.1, iOS 15.7.3 and iOS16.41. And it worked few weeks ago for me as well.. 

Very frustrating...

Any Airplay beacons on your network, Apple TV perhaps?

Hi everyone 

I have the same issue. I have tried all options mentioned above and tested it  my iPhone7, iPX, iP14 and iPad. No BT, no ATV, control enabled on app…  There is no controller shown… iPadOS16.4.1, iOS 15.7.3 and iOS16.41. And it worked few weeks ago for me as well.. 

Very frustrating...

Same issue. 
Tried all the above. 
Spotify, Music, BBC Sounds all show controller in Lock Screen. 
Quit all apps, launch and play Sonos. 
Still no controller. 
worked a few weeks ago. Not sure what update might have caused this (iPhone or Sonos)

Maybe see/check the limitations/details mentioned in these Sonos Support documents:

IOS Controller
https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/control-sonos-from-the-ios-lock-screen

Android Controller

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/control-sonos-from-the-android-lock-screen

Same issue. 
Tried all the above. 
Spotify, Music, BBC Sounds all show controller in Lock Screen. 
Quit all apps, launch and play Sonos. 
Still no controller. 
worked a few weeks ago. Not sure what update might have caused this (iPhone or Sonos)

I agree with @Smix .

I have the latest Sonos update successfully installed and am running iOS 16.4.1. I confirm that after rebooting/restarting every related device and checking everything mentioned in this thread the Sonos lock screen widget is gone from my iPhone.

1st world problem but annoying nevertheless.

Regards,

Peds

@Ken_Griffiths

Now i understand the issue’s origin, as i have airplay beacons running on a macmini acting as an airplay server.

I will deal with that and thank you so much for your help.

Ragerds,

Malik

Hi @Ken_Griffiths 

No way and nothing new happened rebooting my router.

BTW, is this any special setting on router when running a device like Mikrotik Brand?

Not that I’m aware of @Smix  - I actually don’t use any lock-screen controls that often and normally have them disabled in the Sonos app, so all I did was enable them in “Settings/App Preferences” moments before I posted the screenshot in my last post, but I know if you have ‘other’ Airplay beacons running on the LAN subnet, then the lock-screen controls don’t work (as stated in the FAQ) … The only other Airplay beacon I have, is an Apple TV4 and so I just ensured that was powered off, the Sonos controls then work for me, I also ensured the S2 App had ‘focus’ before I locked the iPhone XR.

Hi @Ken_Griffiths 

No way and nothing new happened rebooting my router.

BTW, is this any special setting on router when running a device like Mikrotik Brand?

@Smix,

Maybe try a reboot of the controller device and/or router - the iOS lock screen controls for Sonos are definitely working okay here for my S2 setup. See screenshot attached, taken a few minutes ago.

Hello again @Corry P 

I'm sorry to contradict this text which seems official, but in my case, like that of many friends, Lock Screen Controls does not appear in the control center of iOS.

Please find attached the screenshots of my iPhone with all the settings supposed to enable sono on the lock screen (with those you mentioned above). 

Unfortunately, it still doesn't work for me. So did I miss something?

Regards,

Screenshots:

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Smix 

We are not currently tracking any such issues.

The reports you have read (and the issue you experience) may be related to the following:

Lock Screen Controls do not appear:

• If the Lock Screen is paused, after 7 minutes it will be relegated to the Control Centre only
  • If Airplay/Bluetooth is being used
  • If Airplay is enabled on any third-party endpoints
  • If another app is playing audio and takes the Lock Screen over (Spotify/Apple Music)

On your iOS device, please also navigate to Settings > Face ID (Touch ID) & Passcode. Ensure that Control Centre is enabled.

That was the short version of the information I found. Here is the longer version:

Please be aware of the following rules built-in to iOS regarding the lock-screen and how apps interact with it: 

1. A paused audio app should not enable the lock screen or Control Centre until played. If played it will enable lock screen/Control Centre even if paused after (see below on pausing when device is unlocked)
  2. The last man wins, the last playing music app/video app takes control of the lock screen and control centre and interrupts the audio from the previous application
    • Last man wins does not apply to Sonos. Sonos is a second-class citizen and will give way to any audio playing on the device regardless of playing state of the room
  3. Pausing on the lock screen will keep the lock screen active for 7 minutes, then the app is relegated to Control Centre only
    • Sonos will not relegate to Control Centre. Instead, it will be removed from Control Centre to preserve battery life.
  4. Pausing on the lock screen, unlocking the devices and locking will again relegate the app immediately to Control Centre only.
  5. Unlocking devices and pausing in app, then locking the device will again relegate the app immediately to Control Centre only.

And the following additional rules that apply to Sonos:

1. The last room selected in the Sonos app will be displayed on the lock screen. 
    • To control a different zone on the Lock Screen, another room in the Sonos app needs to be selected and playing audio. 
  2. Sonos will give up lock screen to any app playing music or a video as primary audio app (some apps mix and do interrupt - i.e. Instagram)
  3. Home Theatre rooms will not support play/pause or prev/next track skipping.
  4. Plugging headphones into the iOS device will surrender volume control to iOS and the system.
  5. Connecting other audio routes like AirPlay/BT will disable the lock screen and Control Centre for Sonos.
  6. When disconnected from Sonos for 5 minutes, the Lock Screen and Control Centre will be disabled.
  7. For iOS 9 spilt screen apps, when Sonos is on screen and another application is playing audio, Sonos will give up all volume control and lock screen to the other application.
  8. Disabling "Hardware Volume Controls" in the iOS settings app for Sonos will also disable volume control from the lock screen. 

I hope this helps.

Hi @Corry P and thank you for your quick reply.

I searched the internet (Google, Reddit, SONOS forums...), but apparently, it's a bug that comes from SONOS since one of the last updates of the S2 app. Anyway, that's what I thought I believed.
P.S. the Lock Screen Controls tab is checked in the app preferences. I even unchecked it, restarted iOS and checked again. Nothing to do.
Thank you, I will be patient while waiting for the problem to be definitively resolved by the Software team.

Regards,

Malik

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Smix 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

First, please ensure the setting to do so is enabled:

1. Open the Sonos app for iOS.
  2. From the Settings tab, tap App Preferences.
  3. Tap Lock Screen Controls to enable.

There’s more info on our Control Sonos from the iOS lock screen help page.

I hope this helps.