Answered

Why does the sonos app gray out ans prevent playback of music that is an hour or longer in length?

• 11 November 2022
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Wether it is a track on my local phone, or a Spotify playlist - if the track is over an hour in length (like a DJ set mix), the Sonos app grays these out and will not play them. However, if I open Spotify or Apple Music and stream it to the Sonos speakers, it works fine.

My first thought is some sort of DRM protection or something else that’s blocking based on length, but not sure. Anyone else encounter this issue?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 11 November 2022, 19:38

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Certainly with DRM protected tracks, Sonos Support documents mentions this…

Some music may be protected by Digital Rights Management (DRM). This prevents these files from being shared via third-party apps like the Sonos app. This issue most commonly affects music purchased from iTunes before they switched to DRM-free music.

​​​​​​….

So if this is DRM protected music, then it seems the only way to play the track, in this instance, will be via the Spotify App, albeit to any Airplay capable speaker, but just not via the Sonos App.

The best thing might be to check this with Spotify, ‘perhaps’ some tracks are not playable via 3rd-party Apps due to some kind of licensing agreement etc; but that’s really just a guess on my part.