Answered

Using Sonos Connect digital output in a DAC amp

• 15 March 2023
  • 8 replies

Using Sonos Connect as a streamer (digital output) in a DAC amp, why can't I play 96 khz files ?

My DAC can easily convert this file format but Sonos Controller tells me it’s not possible ….

icon

Best answer by jgatie 16 March 2023, 14:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

I would imagine because you could group on the fly with another device which cannot play those files, and dynamic grouping is a core function of the system. 

No other device in my system, just the Sonos Connect in my DAC amp… So I’m wondering if the digital signal, nevertheless, is treated by “Connect” ?

Badge +20

Sonos only supports maximum of 24 bits to 48 kHz

https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/article/supported-audio-formats-for-sonos-music-library

I know that ; you are talking about using analog outputs.

But my Connect serves as a streamer, digital outputs: it should not convert the signal, but let the DAC amp do it and therefore, not be limited for 96 khz

Badge +20

Nope, 

I know that ; you are talking about using analog outputs.

But my Connect serves as a streamer, digital outputs: it should not convert the signal, but let the DAC amp do it and therefore, not be limited for 96 khz

nope Sonos does not support anything higher than 24/48 period.

Edit .. a Bluesound NODE would do what you want.

No other device in my system, just the Sonos Connect in my DAC amp… So I’m wondering if the digital signal, nevertheless, is treated by “Connect” ?

Regardless of how many devices you personally have, Sonos’ core function is as a multi-room streamer and as such it does not support files which cannot be played by all units.

Try a Wiim Pro. £150 off Amazon. Doesn’t strangle like Sonos . Queuing facility not quite as good but they’re working on it .

They sound better than the connect with an outboard DAC . I couple mine with the Ifi Zen One Signature.

Sonos really need to up their game on this one and fast. 
(forget the Wiim for multi room though as it’s a pita)