Sonos Port digital output 'not valid' after update

• 30 March 2023
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I am using the coax digital output from a Port to drive an Arcam SA30 Amp.  Everything worked with the amp detecting a 44.1khz input.   After the firmware update today, the amp says the input is ‘Not Valid’ and nothing plays.   The analogue output from the Port still works OK.   Is this a botched upgrade?

Corry P 11 months ago

Hi @Gliderman et al

We now consider this issue fully resolved. If anyone is still experiencing problems, I recommend they get in touch with our technical support team. 

Thank you for your patience.

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Yes. I have started a thread about this issue here: 

It’s infuriating and mind-blowing to me that Sonos is releasing updates that cripple the products that their customers own. Why aren’t these things rigorously tested before release? I can understand the odd slight bug creeping through, but not this.

I suspect the best course of action is to let Sonos know via support and wait for a fix.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you only_sleeping.   I can see from your thread it’s not just me then………………...

Thx. Me as well. I replied to the other thread as well. There is no ticket system, i.e. a representative for opening a case will be available only during business hours, correct?

Thx. Me as well. I replied to the other thread as well. There is no ticket system, i.e. a representative for opening a case will be available only during business hours, correct?

That’s correct -- for business hours in your region.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Gliderman

This was mentioned in this thread, but I will also copy my reply here for anyone else who finds this over the other.

Our engineers are aware of this issue and are currently investigating as a priority while working towards a fix, however we do not have an estimate on when this will be resolved to share at this time.

In this case, the analog output will still work and we would recommend using this if possible.

If the analog output isn’t working, then you may be experiencing a different issue and I would recommend reaching out to our support team.

I hope this information helps!

Userlevel 5

Hi all,

Thank you for your patience. We've (literally) just deployed a software update that should resolve this issue. Please check for updates in the Sonos App, and once your Port has been updated, the issue should no longer occur (your port will have build 72.2-39316 (Port)). 
If the issue still occurs, please contact our support team, and we will of course look into it.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Well, build 72239316 did not work for me.  The display on the amp is now a little different - on switching to the digital input from the port the display shows, in quick sequence, 44.1khz / Not Valid / 44.1khz.  But nothing plays.   Previously the display stayed showing ‘Not Valid’.  So something has changed, but not yet fixed?  The analogue output from the Port still works.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Just spoken to ‘support’ and they seem to be suggesting that Build 72239316 only solves the issue for some Ports and are still investigating.

Userlevel 5

Hi again,

As I've also written in the other topics, if you could please share a diagnostic here in the topic, or in a DM to me, I'll make sure that it gets to the engineering team for further investigation. Thank you.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi 

I have posted a diaganostic number and some further info in the other thread to avoid duplication.  Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Gliderman et al

We now consider this issue fully resolved. If anyone is still experiencing problems, I recommend they get in touch with our technical support team. 

Thank you for your patience.

I'm still having issues with my digital output when streaming using the Port. It seemed to be fixed following the latest firmware update but the problem has reappeared.

The stream just stops within 30 secs or if I adjust the volume.

Streaming works fine if using the analog output though.

I can also use the digital output with the line-in as my source. So both my cd player/receiver and my turntable play correctly.

What did the technical support team say, when you contacted them?

I haven't contacted support yet because they're only available during business hours.

I was just posting in case anyone had similar experiences or had any ideas of what is happening.