Sonos is forcing people to buy new hardware as they've broken the Connect:Amp and they refuse to fix it

Show first post

246 replies

Userlevel 1

1. You should try reverting to S1. I’m now over six weeks into my S1 rolllback and my connect amps and apps have been completely stable.

We were curious if a rollback would solve the issue here. This is good to hear. We presumed that it would, but have not found a candidate client willing to experiment with this yet. Unfortunately the majority of our clients with older connect:amps that we upgraded to S2 was to utilize newer SONOS products along side their existing equipment. So still this is not a comprehensive solution.

I would suggest that SONOS put out a middle ground controller app. Something that would be for the specific use case of operating older connect equipment and the newer equipment. A dummied down version of the current S2 controller basically. Then just drop connect product support for the latest version of S2.

I would suggest that SONOS put out a middle ground controller app. Something that would be for the specific use case of operating older connect equipment and the newer equipment. A dummied down version of the current S2 controller basically. Then just drop connect product support for the latest version of S2.

I had suggested this as well - S1, 2 and 3. Because this may be a bigger problem than just Connect Amps and may also soon affect other old kit that Sonos permitted to move to S2, such as play 1/Sub/Play 3, the collective user base of which may be much larger than just Connect Amps Gen 2.

I am considering the rollback to S1; I am still concerned it will mess up my one amp though. If I do it I will definitely let you know the results.

Thanks.

Just signed up and discovered this thread.  I have these same issues, and all of my equipment is on S1.  Multiple calls to Sonos support have only yielded very short term improvement.  

My large Sonos system used to be highly reliable, but not for the last many months.  Intermittent and very frustrating.  Not sure what to do.  

If you are on S1, it should not be the same issue. Folks have eliminated the issue via a rollback to S1, per some posts here.

One thing to do is to open a new thread, submit some diagnostics when there is a problem, refer the diagnostic numbers in the first post in the thread, and give a shout to Sonos staff that is present here by doing this: @Corry P 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Well I spoke too soon (which is why I asked if any of my optimism was backed up by release notes).

My CA is as bad as ever. 

Ho hum. Whatever the solution is it won’t be a Sonos product. I will buy a cheap Bluetooth amp and simply connect to that from my phone when I need to. Not as seamless as the CA but, as my phone will be about 1 metre from the amp, I am fairly sure I won’t get drop outs. 

And had been tempted by Sonos’s double discount on their upgrade program but I simply refuse to spend any more with them whatever the deal ☹️

Just be sure to not purchase any ‘smart’ technology, that relies on memory modules to operate, as they go bad. Stick with old fashioned tech. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

But don’t burn your fingers…

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Just be sure to not purchase any ‘smart’ technology, that relies on memory modules to operate, as they go bad. Stick with old fashioned tech. 

Yup this is a good reminder that Sonos 5 year old devices might not be able to survive or cope with new firmware due to memory issues. Especially when there are bugs that specifically cause the issue 🤦‍♀️

In general, seeing how smart devices keep getting smarter, it makes sense to have these as separate and therefore cheaply replaced front ends of a audio system. Wired to amplification electronics/speakers that are built to last, a feature that is worth paying a premium for if one knows these will not need changing till their natural death at end of designed service life.

@abr2021 : you will be surprised at how seamless an Echo Dot will be if wired to the line in jacks of the same Connect Amps that are giving you trouble. You just need the Sonos control app to work with them for the time needed to configure their line in jacks for autoplay. I suggest this approach instead off the BT speaker you refer to; other than the memory modules, the Sonos component may be in perfectly adequate working order to continue to deliver the same sound quality via a change in the smart front end.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Well I spoke too soon (which is why I asked if any of my optimism was backed up by release notes).

My CA is as bad as ever. 

Ho hum. Whatever the solution is it won’t be a Sonos product. I will buy a cheap Bluetooth amp and simply connect to that from my phone when I need to. Not as seamless as the CA but, as my phone will be about 1 metre from the amp, I am fairly sure I won’t get drop outs. 

And had been tempted by Sonos’s double discount on their upgrade program but I simply refuse to spend any more with them whatever the deal ☹️

Same here.  Even with a nightly shut down my CAs start ok but break up & stop working later in the day.  Ready irritating.

Userlevel 1

Some of my coworkers are reporting that SONOS is now advising people to adjust the channel that SONOS net operates on. They seemed to have shown success in the short term with the audio drop outs. Has anyone still had this issue after adjusting away from the default channel 6? Please if you have a system still experiencing this issue give this a shot and report back.

Thanks.

WiFi interference will be location dependent. Channel 6 might be the magic bullet in one location and not so good in another. And conditions can change. For example, a neighbor cold reconfigure their system and start interfering with your WiFi.

Start keeping a log. You may notice that certain times of day or week are better than others. This might allow you to start a discussion with a neighbor. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Also just because a channel is good today doesn’t mean it will be good tomorrow.

We have had issues with neighbor’s routers that auto select channels picking our Sonos channel. Right now we are seeing most neighbors dropping Cox Cable and their router for Quantum Fiber and their three pod mesh, so much fun for us trying to find the best channel.

Unless you have a channel monitor (not a simple WiFi scanner) you can’t get a great answer on which channel is best, still worth trying the scanner though as it points you correctly in most situations.

Is not this present issue with Connect Amp memory cards there even where the Connect Amps are hardwired back to the core network? Why are channels relevant if that is the case?

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

A quick update eight weeks into the S1 rollback. 

Everything remains tickety-boo. 

Has the last S2 update resolved the issue for those of you on S2? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Using my Connect (Gen 2) yesterday to play the new Walter Trout CD to my system I noticed too that the sound stops every few minutes. Since my other speakers are not affected I suspect my Connect also suffers from this. I hope that Sonos is able to restore the Connect to it’s former stable performance.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Using my Connect (Gen 2) yesterday to play the new Walter Trout CD to my system I noticed too that the sound stops every few minutes. Since my other speakers are not affected I suspect my Connect also suffers from this. I hope that Sonos is able to restore the Connect to it’s former stable performance.

Are you running the latest S2 update?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I’m running 16.0.

Userlevel 1

Is not this present issue with Connect Amp memory cards there even where the Connect Amps are hardwired back to the core network? Why are channels relevant if that is the case?

If I am not mistaken even while hardwired SONOS devices still broadcast the SONOSnet backbone Wi-Fi.

If I am not mistaken even while hardwired SONOS devices still broadcast the SONOSnet backbone Wi-Fi.

They do if their radio is not turned off as it can be via the app. But comms between wired units are always by wire regardless of state of the radio.

Joining the thread heard -- spent all this time F’ with the network but seems it is just the S2 and C:A issue...Tracking as well

Add my name to the list of Connect:Amps that drop out. Started a couple of months ago. Worked fine until then. 

Badge

Adding myself to this list of users with issues on the new firmware.  I use Roon to send music to Sonos players throughout my house and am having issues similar to everyone here.  Roon loses connection with each of the Sonos players after 29 seconds.

Using Wireshark I was able to confirm the issue with my Play 3. From the Sonos Play 3 to Windows, I am getting [TCP ZeroWindow] and [TCP Window Update] and from the Sever to the Device I am getting [TCP Window Full], to which the device then drops off the connection.  It seems when Roon sends the song data it is too much for the allocated buffer of the device.

This firmware bug is impacting Play1, 3, 5, Connect and Connect Amps that were originally on S1 and upgraded to S2.

Using Plex, Sonos library I can get more playtime out of it, but it will eventually cutout.  Similar to some of the old Play 1’s will work if I reduce quality to 16 bit on Roon, I can get them to play a bit longer.  But the Play 3, even a 96kbps AAC file through Roon it will cut out at 29 seconds saying that the allocated data through TCP is full and the device closes the connection and stops playback.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Interesting, hopefully that information will be forwarded to the development team to aid them in finding a solution.