Setup, Install, and Getting the most from Sonos Amp

• 18 March 2019
  • 62 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

62 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks for the answer Ryan.

So I can't even use them as a stereo pair for the TV-sound?

I've got the same question. I'd like to use the Amp connected to an Apple TV which is also connected to a projector. Would the audio coming out of the AMP necessarily only be the front L/R channel? Could you have mono go to all speakers?
Thank you for updating us about Setup, Installation procedure and Getting the most from Sonos Amp.
Richard
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The Play:5s have a line-in that you could connect assuming your TV has an analog RCA output, but it's not intended for TV audio, so you could notice some lip sync issues.
Thanks for the answer Ryan.

So I can't even use them as a stereo pair for the TV-sound?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Short answer is no. There isn't currently a way to have your Amp receive the audio signal and pipe the front channels to the Play:5s while acting as the rear speakers.

The Sonos device that's operating as the front channels is treated as the master device, and is the only one in the room setup that has the TV input active. So if you have an Amp set up as the home theater main speaker, its connected speakers would be the front channels, and the Play:5s would be your surrounds. The Play:5 isn't a home theater capable player to be able to run as the front channels as it doesn't have a TV input, only the analog line-in.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Can I use the HDMI ARC on the amp together with two Play:5 as fronts or do the fronts actually have to be the wired speakers.
The L/R fronts have to be the wired speakers.
Currently I have two Play:5 in stereo setup hooked up through the line in on one of the Play:5s. Being able to use HDMI ARC would be much better for being able to control TV sound though.

Can I use the HDMI ARC on the amp together with two Play:5 as fronts or do the fronts actually have to be the wired speakers. So I want todo the following setup

TV ---HDMI ARC---> SONOS AMP ----> 2 Play:5 in a stereo pair
No. Sonos doesn't have any provision for a center only speaker.
Can you use the Amp for the front left and right in a 5.1 setup and a Play 1/3/5 as the centre channel rather than a 'virtual' channel?

Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
jgatie is correct. The line-in connection is disabled on all speakers being used as surrounds. When the Play:5 gen2 is bonded as a surround speaker, the line-in is disabled there as well.
Can Amp be used as surrounds for an existing Playbar set up as well as maintaining the Line-in functionality for a turn table? I'm having trouble accomplishing this with my Amp :(

Unfortunately, the Line-In is disabled when the Amp is used to power surrounds.
Can Amp be used as surrounds for an existing Playbar set up as well as maintaining the Line-in functionality for a turn table? I'm having trouble accomplishing this with my Amp 😞