Answered

Sonos update just broke my system

Userlevel 3

What in the hell did Sonos put out. Totally unprofessional, the new iOS app, while not a horrible redesign after playing with it has no more alarm service and is not intuitive and is buggy, buggy, buggy. Also, the old alarm settings seem to be embedded somewhere as they are still working, but no way to change them, which needs to be done as they were done ad hoc. 

The new mac laptops app doesn’t work at all. It all doesn’t play well together. 

I mean really? I am into Sonos deeply, full surround system, multiple Moves and multiple Roams, a sub, two play 5’s various Sonos Ones. I’m a loyal and longtime supporter, but this update is very unprofessional and not well thought out. 

Why in the world release something I and so many others say broke there system?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 15 May 2024, 19:15

View original

30 replies

Userlevel 1

I’m in the same boat. My entire system is offline and unable to reset or find speakers through the app. Continues to ask me to allow Local Network but not seeing my thing. Standing by for some direction. I got $3000 worth of boat anchors mounted to the walls and outside. Unacceptable…

Userlevel 3

@Mataimauga - Have you gotten through to Sonos? Their tech support line seems to never picks up and I’ve been on hold for over an hour, then have to go. I’ve tried 3 times. 

What in the hell did Sonos put out. Totally unprofessional, the new iOS app, while not a horrible redesign after playing with it has no more alarm service and is not intuitive and is buggy, buggy, buggy. Also, the old alarm settings seem to be embedded somewhere as they are still working, but no way to change them, which needs to be done as they were done ad hoc. 

The alarm issue has been fixed earlier today by the way…

1. Update your app to:
    1. iOS: 80.00.08 - available now in the App Store
    2. Android: 80.00.05 - available now in the Play Store
  2. Update your firmware to 79.0-52294 - available now via the Sonos App:
    1. Tap the settings gear in the top right
    2. Select “Manage” next to your system name
    3. Select System Updates
    4. Select Check for Updates
  3. Launch the Sonos app twice in order to guarantee we fetch the latest feature flags:
    1. Start the Sonos app
    2. Force quit the app
    3. Start the Sonos app again
Userlevel 3

@Ken_Griffiths - updated the firmware via iOS app, no update available in App Store so must have been the latest. 

Opened my Mac os app and it looked promising for a moment as it said there was and update. Did it and forced quite twice. Didn’t work (I did see a glimpse of my system for a moment but quickly disappeared). I then trashed the app and re-downloaded from Sonos site (after looking for Preferences to trash but found none). No update needed but still not working.

Still have this @Ken_Griffiths AND where again to find the Alarms setting on my most recent iOS app? Not super intuitive…..

@JetJag,
Maybe open your device App Store and see if there is actually any update available. I’ve listed the current versions above for iOS and Android. Once installed then check for updates via the App.. that will perform any hardware/firmware update (if still required). Open and close App a couple of times as mentioned.

To see the Alarms… goto the App ‘System Settings’ (cog icon top right of App). On the page select ‘Manage’ above the list of Sonos ‘rooms’ and you should see the Alarms entry in the list… see attached screenshot.

Hope that assists.

Userlevel 3

Again, only “Open” in iOS App Store, just like last response to you. 

Under Manage nothing about Alarms. 
Please help

What happens when you click on ‘System updates’? 

@JetJag,

Yes, as Bruce mentions above, you might need to get your devices on the correct firmware first, by checking in the App for any device updates too.

Userlevel 1

Posted on another thread –

I’ll join the party here. The new app isn’t just woeful in terms of how you navigate it and the UX, but I’m actually only able to play music in one room. Attempting to change the room does nothing. That’s a critical flaw that renders several of my speakers completely redundant.

So I’m sat in my office today listening to music through my MacBook Pro, pondering the alternatives.

Not good Sonos.

I’ll join the party here. The new app isn’t just woeful in terms of how you navigate it and the UX, but I’m actually only able to play music in one room. Attempting to change the room does nothing. That’s a critical flaw that renders several of my speakers completely redundant.

So I’m sat in my office today listening to music through my MacBook Pro, pondering the alternatives.

Not good Sonos.

I suspect some users just need to discover & use the ‘group room’ screen in the Sonos App to play to a group of speakers. Obviously, familiarity with a new App is sometimes part of the issue too.

Userlevel 1

Not good Sonos.

I suspect some users just need to discover & use the ‘group room’ screen in the Sonos App to play to a group of speakers. Obviously, familiarity with a new App is sometimes part of the issue too.

Nope, that screen is the source of my problem. So for example, at the moment my “Kitchen” is selected, and music plays to that room fine. If I try to change that to “Office” for example, and press Apply, nothing happens. It just reverts back to “Kitchen”.

Nothing to do with being unfamiliar with new app.

Not good Sonos.

Nope, that screen is the source of my problem. So for example, at the moment my “Kitchen” is selected, and music plays to that room fine. If I try to change that to “Office” for example, and press Apply, nothing happens. It just reverts back to “Kitchen”.

Nothing to do with being unfamiliar with new app.

Maybe try a reboot of the local network and devices (if not tried already). The grouping is working fine here for my setup so I’m thinking it’s not the App but maybe something local to you. If the issue persists after the network refresh, then it maybe best to first reproduce the grouping issue again,  immediately submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App Help Center, note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support via this LINK to discuss the matter in detail and see what the Staff can perhaps then suggest to resolve the matter.

@Andrew Parker,

As another thought, I’d also perhaps sign out/in on the controller App - that might be helpful too, perhaps? There’s also an option to reset the App (Account Settings/App Preferences) and link it back to your system on the local network.

Userlevel 1

@Ken_Griffiths Thanks for your suggestions – I’ll give them a shot!

I’m guessing that you are hitting the ‘Apply’ button at the bottom of the screen after grouping the rooms too? (Sorry I just thought I better ask that obvious thing, just in case?)

Userlevel 1

I’m guessing that you are hitting the ‘Apply’ button at the bottom of the screen after grouping the rooms too? (Sorry I just thought I better ask that obvious thing, just in case?)

Hi, yes, I change the room and press apply and the pane disappears. It momentarily looks like the room has changed, before it then just reverts to “Kitchen”. Opening the pane again, and “Kitchen” is selected. On a few occasions music has been playing in rooms that aren’t even ticked!

Userlevel 3

@Airgetlam and @Ken_Griffiths 

If you look back at my first post I did the firmware update on the iOS device. First thing I did based on Ken’s suggestion. No way to do anything on the Mac version. 

Additionally, there still is no alarm under “Manage” on iOS app (which again is the only way I have access to Sonos). 

Also as I said, when that happened. The closest to life on the Mac OS app, was some“blinks” of seeing glimpses of the system, then back to black screen. 

ALL of this began when I installed the update via the App Store and it needed to update my system. Back on May 7th.

@Ken_Griffiths - do you work for Sonos officially,  or just troubleshooting in this community?

Hi, yes, I change the room and press apply and the pane disappears. It momentarily looks like the room has changed, before it then just reverts to “Kitchen”. Opening the pane again, and “Kitchen” is selected. On a few occasions music has been playing in rooms that aren’t even ticked!

That’s really odd then? I’m certainly not seeing that here.

I’d perhaps just try a different controller too, if you have one available. I will add there’s no security software on my controller, VPN, firewall etc. in case something like that is affecting the local controller App/Speaker communication. Perhaps see if grouping via the Web App will work for you aswell?

And @Ken_Griffiths is not a Sonos employee, he is just an extremely helpful community member….

Nope, I’m not employed by Sonos, or anyone in fact. I’m retired …and just a Sonos user trying to perhaps assist others here in the community, particularly at this difficult time. 

On the Alarm front… I see alarms on all my iOS devices. Image attached taken moments ago UK time.

I see Alarms available on an Android tablet here too. So it should be working, but if no joy, then submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support via this LINK to discuss the matter in detail and see what the Staff can perhaps suggest to resolve the matter.

Userlevel 3

Thanks @Ken_Griffiths.

Already have. Again, this build is replete with too many bugs to have been tested well. I do this for a living and I know when something was let out early. This is one of them. They are always buggy and guessing software isn’t Sonos’ main focus, but come on Sonos. Been with them from close to the beginning, but not digging this one, especially with computer app not working whatsovever. 

Do you have Sonos on your computer and is it working?

And thanks for trying to help. 

Thanks @Ken_Griffiths.

Already have. Again, this build is replete with too many bugs to have been tested well. I do this for a living and I know when something was let out early. This is one of them. They are always buggy and guessing software isn’t Sonos’ main focus, but come on Sonos. Been with them from close to the beginning, but not digging this one, especially with computer app not working whatsovever. 

Do you have Sonos on your computer and is it working?

And thanks for trying to help. 

I’ve noticed one user, having similar difficulties to yourself with Alarms not displaying, who went onto uninstall their Sonos App and re-downloaded it from the App Store. On opening the App, they accepted the usual agreement and selected to give their authority for LAN, Bluetooth access etc. and connected the App back to the existing Sonos system. 

The alarms were then showing in the App. So maybe give that a try. 

Let me know please if that works, as it’s useful to know and I can maybe let some others know too, like @Bumper.👍  

Userlevel 3

I did that with the Mac App, but not the iOS app. Worth a try. 

Userlevel 3

@Ken_Griffiths - Good suggestion, don’t know why I don’t think of that. It worked and ironically it brought my Mac app back to life too. Fascinating. 

You did it Ken, you are still the unofficial fixer of this forum!

Appreciate buddy!

Who gets fired for releasing a bug infested strip down piece of junk??  They should hire someone that knows how to do software updates!