Answered

Sonos Roam SL impossible to use Bluetooth without WiFi

Hello,

I've got a Sonos Roam SL and I have no WiFi. I want to use it via Bluetooth. However it seems impossible as it forces me to register Roam SL and that requires a network to connect to.

How is that possible that I need to have a WiFi in order to start using it!?

Is there a workaround?

icon

Best answer by James Truelove 20 June 2024, 13:23

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

The setup instructions are very clear. Have you not bothered to read them?

You need to connect on wifi first, to set up the speaker and ensure it’s at current firmware revision. After that you can use it off wifi as a Bluetooth speaker. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Can you create abhot spot with your phone and use that to register

The setup instructions are very clear. Have you not bothered to read them?

You need to connect on wifi first, to set up the speaker and ensure it’s at current firmware revision. After that you can use it off wifi as a Bluetooth speaker. 

Thanks for replying.

Sonos should write really clear on the box that in order to use the speaker WiFi is required (at least initially). I would have not bought it, had I known it.

To me Sonos choice is absurd: requiring any kind of setup in order satisfy the basic use-case of being able to connect to the speaker via Bluetooth.

Can you create abhot spot with your phone and use that to register

Thank for replying.

I’ll try that 🙂

Thanks for replying.

Sonos should write really clear on the box that in order to use the speaker WiFi is required (at least initially). I would have not bought it, had I known it.

To me it’s absurd Sonos choice of requiring any kind of setup in order satisfy the basic use-case of being able to connect to the speaker via Bluetooth.

Roam (Gen 1) has been discontinued, and this doesn’t apply to Roam 2, which allows Bluetooth right out of the box.

Badge

I had the same issues described above annoying around have the night. I saw that the Roam SL was connected to my WLAN but it dit not appear in the app because the firmware update failed. Finally - as last try - I connected the Roam SL with the USB cable to my Mac. After this the speaker is visible as a drive containing the desktop app to set it up and complete the firmware update. Sonos should describe this alternative way in its setup instructions.