New app - alarm function seems to be back

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I updated the crAPP earlier this morning (Android).  No meaningful release notes in the Play Store. 

Turns out it did restore the alarms section but also required an update of my whole system (goodness knows why).

After restarting the crAPP once or twice I eventually had my alarm functionality back.  I could not see any other changes.

This is positive, although I have lost all and total faith in the SONOS developers and management and fully expect this new update to have broken something else.

I don’t know if the iOS crAPP has been updated the same?

15 replies

Yes, both Android and iOS Sonos Apps should now be working/showing Sonos Alarms. Here are the instructions, which were taken from the Sonos AMA earlier today…

1. Update your app to:
    1. iOS: 80.00.08 - available now in the App Store
    2. Android: 80.00.05 - available now in the Play Store
  2. Update your firmware to 79.0-52294 - available now via the Sonos App:
    1. Tap the settings gear in the top right
    2. Select “Manage” next to your system name
    3. Select System Updates
    4. Select Check for Updates
  3. Launch the Sonos app twice in order to guarantee we fetch the latest feature flags:
    1. Start the Sonos app
    2. Force quit the app
    3. Start the Sonos app again

Yes, both Android and iOS Sonos Apps should now be working/showing Sonos Alarms. Here are the instructions, which were taken from the Sonos AMA earlier today…

1. Update your app to:
    1. iOS: 80.00.08 - available now in the App Store
    2. Android: 80.00.05 - available now in the Play Store
  2. Update your firmware to 79.0-52294 - available now via the Sonos App:
    1. Tap the settings gear in the top right
    2. Select “Manage” next to your system name
    3. Select System Updates
    4. Select Check for Updates
  3. Launch the Sonos app twice in order to guarantee we fetch the latest feature flags:
    1. Start the Sonos app
    2. Force quit the app
    3. Start the Sonos app again

Thanks for posting this Ken. But this isn’t a fix. I’ve done all this including launching and force quite the crAPP a dozen times and nothing changes. Multiple posts on Reddit about this. 

Thanks for posting this Ken. But this isn’t a fix. I’ve done all this including launching and force quite the crAPP a dozen times and nothing changes. Multiple posts on Reddit about this. 

I dunno then @Bumper, it worked okay for me on all my controllers. I’ve seen some others say it worked for them too.

My Steps (in case it may help you…)

I just went to the App Store on each device and selected to install the Sonos App update. I then went to the newly installed App, launched it and did the check for update option to install the firmware (my firmware was updated as I have auto-updates set to a schedule).

I then closed/opened the App twice (I don't think that step was really needed, but did it anyway). Checked the ‘Manage’ area in the App and Alarms were in the list.

Lucky you Ken, glad things are working great for you. 

With 80.00.08 app, I can set Alarms again but they are not triggered at the said time :(

Has anyone of you got the same issue ?

With 80.00.08 app, I can set Alarms again but they are not triggered at the said time :(

Not checked that here yet, but my first thoughts are to perhaps check your country settings in your online Sonos profile here.

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/myaccount/user/profile

Not checked that here yet, but my first thoughts are to perhaps check your country settings in your online Sonos profile here.

Country is correct in my profile.

But I just realized that the Alarm is triggered 1h later than the set time… Alarm set at 7am → it rings at 8am :(

I got the support over phone and they confirmed that it is a known issue that will be resolved (hopefully) with next app/firmware release

Userlevel 1

Okay Ken - The update to load the Alarms feature does not work after following all the tips suggested in this thread. Sonos has serious flaws in the development and release of this new App. Here is what I have tried:

• unplugged all my Sonos speakers and re plugged them all sitting next to my router to make sure there is strong signal.
  • uninstalled the Sonos App and reinstalled the App
  • Confirmed that all my Sonos speakers show up on the App and play music individually through the Sonos Spotify icon. They all play music
  • Then I try to update the App and keep getting error message 1005. According to Sonos this message means my WiFi is not working. NOT true, since i just played music on all my sonos speakers using my WiFi prior to attempting the update.

Please fix this APP!!

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Country is correct in my profile.

But I just realized that the Alarm is triggered 1h later than the set time… Alarm set at 7am → it rings at 8am :(

I got the support over phone and they confirmed that it is a known issue that will be resolved (hopefully) with next app/firmware release

OMG - these clowns are HOPELESS.  How can they release such RUBBISH.  I feel so let down by SONOS.  If I didn’t have so many thousands of dollars invested I would be OUT and into another, more reliable product.

Have alarms but they don't work. I suspect it is because there is no where in app to set current date and time. Thoughts?

Have alarms but they don't work. I suspect it is because there is no where in app to set current date and time. Thoughts?

Same here. Alarms all set but not triggered at all. What ever happened to the good and reliable app we used to love. If it ain’t broken don’t fix it. So much for sonos “R&D”. 

Same here. Alarms all set but not triggered at all. What ever happened to the good and reliable app we used to love. If it ain’t broken don’t fix it. So much for sonos “R&D”. 

I have deleted the app and downloaded again today up to date version 80.04.04. I’ve checked my firmware is up to date and tried resetting the app multiple times.

I can’t even seem to set the alarms on the mobile app but it works fine on when setting from my laptop. Is Sonos aware of the ongoing issues?

Alarms are now visible for me via the app (on iOS) and work correctly.  App version 80.04.04

I wasn’t that impressed when the app first came out - it was obviously released prematurely - but now they’ve fixed some issues, I quite like it. The UI is better and it’s much faster to connect than the old one.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

My alarms will only play the Sonos chime even when setting radio, soundcloud or Spotify. Is this going to be fixed? Last raised in 2021.

Tried updating apps, logging out of Spotify, resetting speakers and nothing works. I believe it’s a Sonos issue has it all worked smoothly until the updates in 2021. In 2015-2021, had my alarms set to multiply playlists and radio and all worked perfectly. Now nothing works.

Disappointed. We originally bought Sonos speakers to sync with other music platforms.

On another note, we now have to use two apps due to Sonos making the old speakers only work with sonos 1 app. I’m sure they could have updated the new Sonos app to work on all speakers and other wired speakers.

Nothing is straight forward with Sonos. It seems right now they are not investing in the tech side of things and just launching new speakers which don’t work because of the apps!

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Thank you! @Ken_Griffiths 

So that ‘Manage’ word near the top is actually a button!? I was wondering where all the old settings were.

Christ, we all knew the new UI is so bad it makes you want to rip out your own eyeballs and stamp on them, but this takes it to a whole new level.