Sonos and the Spanning Tree Protocol

• 10 June 2010
  • 60 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

60 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
Sorry to drag this up again but I'm pulling what little hair I have left out!!:@

I've just spent over 2 hours on the phone with support and got nowhere. In fact they changed some settings and the system was worse. Here's a summary of the issues and setup.

I have a Netgear GS748TP switch which is the main switch in the house. I have two additional unmanaged switches in two outbuildings hardwired back to the main switch. I have seven SONOS players and a Boost. One SONOS is in one outbuilding and a second in a separate outbuilding. One is hard wired (via unmanaged switch in outbuilding back to main switch in house), the other uses SONOSNet off the other - it has to as it can't connect to any players in the main house. The rest of the players are in the main house. Two on the ground floor with a Boost. They are separated by around 15ft between each player and the Boost. Another player is on the first floor and the final two are on the second floor next to each other. Within the main house, the Boost is hardwired via ethernet back to the GS748TP. Likewise one of the players on the second floor is hard wired to the GS748TP.

The problem is one of the players on the ground floor (Connect:Amp) is dropping off the network. Only a recent problem as the system has been running for nearly 10 years without problems. No changes have been made to the network except adding a Beam and another Connect:Amp recently. I've also been experiencing network problems with slow access. I was advised to swap the problem unit for another and see how that went. I did this and all seemed well but support advised there was still considerable interference in the system. At this stage the swapped unit had been running for several days with no dropouts. Support then changed various settings on the switch which caused the swapped player to dropout again! I've changed things back and the player came back on the network. However I'm not sure where my settings on the GS748TP should be. I've attached a few screenshots. Can anyone help to solve this??
The GS748TP settings look okay. Intermittent dropping of a single unit off the network is not usually a symptom of STP configuration. Interference sounds like a more likely candidate. Even possibly hardware issues if it's an old unit. At 10 years old a 'Connect:Amp' is surely an early ZP120, or is it actually a ZP100?
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi Ratty. Sorry for delayed reply, I didn't receive email notifications of replies.

Anyway, yes it's a ZP120 but I swapped this around for a Connect:Amp and after support altered the STP settings the unit dropped off the network. Only this one dropped off, no others. So both a ZP120 and a Connect:Amp dropped off in the same location so likely interference but baffling as to why the Beam, which is only around 10ft away has no problems. Must be very localised but I can't think of what it would be. The affected unit is under a kitchen unit behind the wooden plinth. Nothing else there and this has been it's location for nearly 10 years. Very odd.

Support certainly caused me huge headaches by fiddling with the switch settings. They were convinced it was related to STP.