Answered

Pair Sonos Play 1 w/ Sonos One (Gen 2) and Bluetooth

• 7 August 2019
  • 4 replies

I have a Sonos Play 1 that I bought back in 2013 (along with a Sonoso wireless bridge). I'd like to pair it with a Sonos One (Gen 2) AND I'd like to be able to bluetooth to it. Will this technically work? Where I pair the Gen 2 via bluetooth to my phone and I get stereo sound sound played through both the Sonos Play 1 and the Sonos One (Gen 2)?
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 7 August 2019, 19:56

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

You need to pair like speakers together for a stereo pair. So you can group the two speakers together to play in sync, but each will be playing mono, not stereo.

And Sonos doesn't support bluetooth (for audio) on any of their devices. Since you already have a play:1 though, I'm guessing you're already aware that you can stream audio without bluetooth.

I should add though that the Sonos One is airplay 2 compatible (but not the play:1), so you can stream from an iphone to the Sonos One that way (and then group the audio with a play:1).
See what I was reading (on Amazon) made it look like Gen 2 was bluetooth. I'm looking to purchase a record player that could output via bluetooth and thought/hoped Sonos might be a solution. Ughhh.
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
The One only uses Bluetooth during setup.

You could get a Play:5 with aux input and connect a Bluetooth receiver to it.
The newer Sonos speakers have a Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) receiver, which is used only for setup. They do not have a Bluetooth receiver, which would be used for music transmission.

It's somewhat unfortunate that both use the term "Bluetooth", which leads many people to assume that they're the same thing.