is this a known issue with eero and sonos?

• 23 December 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

I experienced a sudden loss of my entire system (running fine for years...running on eero mesh for  about a year) that was resolved after a two hour tech call (kudos to tech “Aevo”….not an easy ticket) but resolved by doing something contrary to solutions i have read so I am asking if this is a new issue (post recent eero update) or known.  Description follows:

I have a large system (14 devices) that suddenly stopped working and could not re-connect.  After routine reboots of all network components (modem, switches , eero hub), none of the devices on the system could be seen.

One of my playbars was hard wired and that is the way I have run the system for years (I converted to eero mesh about a year ago and system worked fine until last night). However the playbar suddenly refused to register..  Aevo (sonos tech) and I resolved it by disconnecting the hard wired device and putting the whole system on wireless. 

I suspect this issue had something to do with a eero update but i am not at all sure as i see from community notes that bridge mode and hard wiring is the common solution for similar reported eero issues....and we have done the opposite (note eero hub is/was running in bridge mode; attached to switch as was previously hard wired playbar).  

Anyway it works now after two hours of hard work with tech Aevo who IMHO deserves some recognition for his efforts....this was not an easy ticket (for me or for Aevo).

Is this a known issue and/or possibly related to a recent eero update that I think happened a few days ago?   TIA  

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Thanks for reply @Ken_Griffiths .  

1.  >>>usual thing for a wireless ‘mesh’ setup and Sonos, is to run all hubs in Wireless AP ‘bridged’ mode, rather than having the mesh system setup in ‘router’ mode, with a ‘bridged’ router (which is often ISP provided in most cases).<<«That’s the way I am set up now (after session with Sonos Tech).
  2. Inasmuch as eero hub is currently bridged with dhcp on modem and  everything is now working I am  kind of reluctant to jump into the dhcp and assign a permanent IP to the hub  (i.e. it’s not broke “right now”...and BTW wireless is disabled on the cable modem which is physically very close to the eero hub). I am wondering what would be the upside to doing that (assign perm IP)  since the mesh gives us plenty of bandwidth and signal strength all over the house.

Just to clarify it’s all the Sonos Product IP addresses that need reserving, but it is optional. That said. I do reserve my mesh Hubs too and a few other things, like smart-plugs etc.

1. I agree with you and personally like the idea of having one component hard wired and dealing with sonos network in that fashion but it looks like eero may have decided it doesn’t want to do that anymore.  The playbar that was hard wired and misbehaved is physically close to another, non hub,  eero AP (and maybe that’s the issue?). 

I don’t wire anything to my wireless mesh satellite hubs, especially not Sonos, as it can in some instances affect the backhaul. So I wouldn’t bother doing that, personally speaking.

1. I think if the system breaks again I might try to hard wire another component that is not as physically close to an eero AP.  That’s actually what the sonos tech did in order to finally see the system (I grabbed a play one and moved it to proximity of a cat5 wall port, then he finally saw the system but I needed to put the play one back where it was.  

​​​​​​Anyway, thanks for your response and Happy Holidays!

If the system encounters issues, my initial thoughts are to go for the DHCP reservation option first, as that can help with any updates and all the devices rebooting simultaneously etc. 

Ah and yes (thanks 🙏), Happy holidays to you also

Badge +1

Thanks for reply @Ken_Griffiths .  

1.  >>>usual thing for a wireless ‘mesh’ setup and Sonos, is to run all hubs in Wireless AP ‘bridged’ mode, rather than having the mesh system setup in ‘router’ mode, with a ‘bridged’ router (which is often ISP provided in most cases).<<«That’s the way I am set up now (after session with Sonos Tech).
  2. Inasmuch as eero hub is currently bridged with dhcp on modem and  everything is now working I am  kind of reluctant to jump into the dhcp and assign a permanent IP to the hub  (i.e. it’s not broke “right now”...and BTW wireless is disabled on the cable modem which is physically very close to the eero hub). I am wondering what would be the upside to doing that (assign perm IP)  since the mesh gives us plenty of bandwidth and signal strength all over the house.
  3. I agree with you and personally like the idea of having one component hard wired and dealing with sonos network in that fashion but it looks like eero may have decided it doesn’t want to do that anymore.  The playbar that was hard wired and misbehaved is physically close to another, non hub,  eero AP (and maybe that’s the issue?). 
  4. I think if the system breaks again I might try to hard wire another component that is not as physically close to an eero AP.  That’s actually what the sonos tech did in order to finally see the system (I grabbed a play one and moved it to proximity of a cat5 wall port, then he finally saw the system but I needed to put the play one back where it was.  

​​​​​​Anyway, thanks for your response and Happy Holidays!

@Crash67,

Did the Sonos system actually disconnect, or was it just a device multicasting ‘discovery’ issue by the controller App(s)?

I don’t personally use eero, but the usual thing for a wireless ‘mesh’ setup and Sonos, is to run all hubs in Wireless AP ‘bridged’ mode, rather than having the mesh system setup in ‘router’ mode, with a ‘bridged’ router (which is often ISP provided in most cases).

It’s suggested as best practice to disable the wireless adapters on the router, then simply wire a single standalone Sonos device (not a HT surround, or sub) direct to the main router and placed 1 metre away from any other wireless AP, or other wireless device.

It’s also helpful (albeit optional) to reserve the Sonos addresses in the DHCP reservation table and set the SonosNet channel to one that is not in use by the mesh hubs (I personally recommend doing those things).

So it perhaps might depend if you were originally following that ‘typical’ suggested setup mentioned above, or it might just be the case that the recent eero update caused the router to perhaps have some difficulty re-assigning IP addresses arising in some duplicate addressing etc. which I guess can happen if multiple devices are simultaneously updated and/or rebooted together and the local DHCP server gets itself in a bit of a muddle (er…perhaps🤔?)