News

The new Sonos Mobile App & Web App

Related products: Software News
The new Sonos Mobile App & Web App

Today we are introducing the most extensive app redesign ever, creating an unprecedented streaming experience that allows listeners to organize their favorite playlists, stations, albums and more from over 100 services on one customizable Home screen.

Home Screen

The new Home screen provides faster access to Sonos system controls with one easy swipe up, making tab to tab jumping a thing of the past. As a leader in sound experience that’s focused on creating a better way to listen, Sonos intentionally redesigned the app on a modern software platform for an easier, faster and better experience that can support more rapid innovation.

The reimagined app supports all existing S2 products and will be available globally through a software update for the S2 mobile app.

100+ streaming services, one Home screen

The redesigned Sonos app prioritizes a listening experience that’s human - allowing you to bring your true favorites front and center and giving you more control to make your streaming experience your own.

• Get into your music (and off the app) faster: No need to tap between tabs — the new Home screen serves up all your favorite content and controls, all in one place. Quickly jump back into your recently played, browse libraries and recommendations from your preferred services, and fill your home with music and all the sounds you love.
  • Customize and curate: Enjoy unparalleled curation by designing your Home screen to reflect how you listen. Pin rows of your favorite content and services; then move, edit, or rearrange them to your liking.
  • Search every streaming library: Look for an artist, song, podcast, or audiobook across all your preferred streaming apps at once via an easy-to-use search bar that’s always available right on your Home screen.
  • Elevated system control: Swipe up from the bottom of your Home screen to seamlessly control your entire system and access a visual overview of what’s playing on each of your products, quickly group speakers, and dial in on the perfect volume from anywhere in the app. 

Accessible from any modern web browser, a brand new web app allows listeners the same seamless system control as the mobile app.

The new Web App

The Web App will be available alongside the redesigned mobile app on May 7, 2024.

Want to find out more about the new Sonos App? Have a look at the Info Hub section of the community for a complete rundown of the new user interface.

Here you can find the full press release. 

How do I get my music library back?

Where is your library housed?  If it is on an NAS, the NAS must have SMB 2 or SMB 3 turned on.  If it is a Mac, there seems to be some issues with a Mac that will be fixed in a coming release.

*(in relation tot the search function) I mean: to be able to use the serach function to search artists, albums and tracks in our own libraries instead of havind to scroll manually from A to Z through the many items of a collection….

I sold my remaining shares the day the downgrade crap-app rolled out. 

My need is very simple - I just want to be able to ‘add to queue’ from stuff in my Music Library on my Mac as I have been doing for the last 15 years is that too much to ask.

I can find no way too achieve that on my Iphone 12 although I can still do it from my desktop ( for the moment !)

If anyone knows how to do this simple operation in iOS I’d be glaad to know how.

its impossible since that feature does not exist. Its a new bold app started from zero so nothing was there when they started. Now Sonos are adding features back to it, I think I saw June as eta for adding to queue.

Can add to my list of issues:

• Napster music service no longer functional … opening up that service and there is nothing behind the icon, nothing to browse and that service doesn’t show up in the search output … none of my Napster saved songs/playlists/channels work

Which ever leader(s) at Sonos push for this release to go out should be fired … and if I was the Product Owner I would quit…

Where is your library housed?  If it is on an NAS, the NAS must have SMB 2 or SMB 3 turned on.  If it is a Mac, there seems to be some issues with a Mac that will be fixed in a coming release.

Samba on a NAS. It doesn’t work, I get error 913, which is enormously unhelpful. 

Can add to my list of issues:

• Napster music service no longer functional … opening up that service and there is nothing behind the icon, nothing to browse and that service doesn’t show up in the search output … none of my Napster saved songs/playlists/channels work

Which ever leader(s) at Sonos push for this release to go out should be fired … and if I was the Product Owner I would quit…

Spence is your guy!  Buck stops at his desk - it was b/c of new products/revenue he promised in earnings calls.  Probably something like this at the go/no-go meeting with dev.  “Customers be damned, full speed ahead, release the crap-app or get fired!  He’s never run this company well!

For the many years and over $10k in Sonos gear (not to mention hour upon hour of investment in time with bugs/issues brought on mostly by Sonos itself),  I was once a promoter of the great hardware for Whole Home Audio.  Now I’m getting flack from friends, family, and associates for ever even mentioning Sonos.

Starting with the S1/S2 screw-up in 2020 and now this crap-app (not to mention the tone-def and arrogant marketing/executive teams), I’m DONE!! 

I expect I’m not alone.  

Another bunny who’s not going to get it.  Sigh.

Samba on a NAS. It doesn’t work, I get error 913, which is enormously unhelpful. 

See the other forum posts on the 913 error it has instructions, you may need to update the advanced settings too to give Sonos the permission . It worked for me… sorry I am having trouble pasting in the link …..

See the other forum posts on the 913 error it has instructions, you may need to update the advanced settings too to give Sonos the permission . It worked for me… sorry I am having trouble pasting in the link …..

Yeah, they’re useless too. Nobody explains what the problem is. It’s just do these steps on my system worked for me. My NAS isn’t a windows PC or a Mac. 

It’s cool, everybody. Don't worry about your broken stereo system.

Just buy $450 headphones!

•When playing music on multiple speakers in different rooms, one speaker or another will cut out.  Sometimes, the speaker comes back on by itself - at other times, I have to choose the speakers again and “Apply” to re-establish a connection.

This happens all the time at home since the "update”. This morning the wake up alarm fired all the speakers except the ones in the bedroom. Also stereo paired speakers cut out randomly a channel and sometime comes back on by itself - at other times has to be forced to do it. Total misery.

Sonos are now forcing the app update on IOS on my mother's iPhone! 😡🤬

The app was set to not update!

Looks like she has no choice now! 

And it will be my problem to fix it. I wish I never recommended these speakers to friends and family.

Sonos are now forcing the app update on IOS on my mother's iPhone! 😡🤬

The app was set to not update!

Looks like she has no choice now! 

And it will be my problem to fix it. I wish I never recommended these speakers to friends and family.

@Absolute40 Welcometo my Sonos-nightmare :(

For me this started immediately after the new Jesus-app was released, caught in a never ending loop of forced updates that crashes and ends in “Error 100” messages. Its “not just” the stuff that people in here mentions, as they should, functions thats gone missing like the “add to queue” or the connection to a music library etc etc...its the whole god damned Sonos system that you cant use or reach when this cluster-fuck of a forced update enters your life.

I dont know if I should be glad, but this “submit diagnostics” message just turned up yesterday, so now I can take a screenshot of my diagnostics-support-number and get online once more, wait in line for 4 hours and be told by a “tech-support-guy” that theres nothing they can do about it and that its “probably just my wifi causing all the trouble”…

Someone skipped the part of the development-charter called “TESTING”.

@Absolute40 

not got that on my iPhone maybe firmware update was still enabled inside the app which would force the control app to update 

it needs to be disabled in both bits to stop updating I am still on old app and firmware 

only issue I get is a banner at the top telling me there’s an update which I dismiss and I cannot do update all anymore 

Someone skipped the part of the development-charter called “TESTING”.

A beta tester posted here a couple pages back, he said he begged them not to release it but they did it anyway.

@Absolute40

not got that on my iPhone maybe firmware update was still enabled inside the app which would force the control app to update 

it needs to be disabled in both bits to stop updating I am still on old app and firmware 

only issue I get is a banner at the top telling me there’s an update which I dismiss and I cannot do update all anymore 

System auto updates within the Sonos app were disabled!
Until today my mother was only getting the top banner advising her to update.
From today it seems it won’t let her continue without updating.

@Absolute40

System auto updates within the Sonos app were disabled!
Until today my mother was only getting the top banner advising her to update.
From today it seems it won’t let her continue without updating.

Odd checked mine twice today nothing yet just closed app reopened it and clicked around in menu’s nothing 👍

The new app has completely broken my system, nothing works I now have thousands of £’s of useless junk.

The new app has completely broken my system, nothing works I now have thousands of £’s of useless junk.

And me - I use the system very simply, just add to queue from my music library and clear queue and can’t even do that.

I have spoken to Sonos who just basically said tough, nothing -they can do until there is a another new update in June, not holding my breath for that

The latest revision of the AbortionApp has removed further functionality even from the 1st release - the ability to see whether a device is connected to Sonosnet or Station (WiFi) in the About My System page.  I’m aware that Sonos is trying to phase out Sonosnet and that the latest devices (Era etc) don’t support it, but again Sonos ignores the fact that many of us have spent a lot of money on a system with a Boost to do just that!

So they introduced overpriced headphones that no one wants and are Bluetooth only. Their ratings on Google play are 1.1 in the UK (and similar elsewhere). The share price is crashing and eBay is stacking up with people offloading their (now dead) speakers, amps and connection devices. 

The Community Forum once was the best advert for Sonos products now contains their most loyal supporters raising more issues every single day, and the move to a web architecture has clearly caused everyone's system to crash and burn (as it's incompatible with a LAN based system). 

And all we get is continued silence. 

its horrible a lot of problem that cause the new app, plus all the good selection for better performace that normally was in the last app.they take out

i uninstall the last version 80…. in my pc and my cellphones and tabs, i reinstall from an apk the last funtional version 16.1

but sonos from time to time uptade by night, no matter i have set NOT TO UPDATE

Sonos must go back with the last version and try maybe to fix all the problem of conexion between the Boost and WiFi in a mesh ssytem

if they want to see the app in black color just select in the device (cell or tab) Dark Mode

i call to customer service i wait for 1:20 on the reach a representative after 30 minutues of no progress in the probles the call was cut and i dont get a call back

upset and desapointed

Class action suit? I mean they have rendered my 10k of equipment useless. I yearn for the days when you could just email John and he’d reply within the day. Unfortunately the press has not picked up on this fiasco. Patrick needs step down or at least pull his head …. - And the headphones- don’t get me started - if they are anything like this app - pushed out when not ready - oy - Sorry, ranting -

Oh gawd, The Verge interviewed Spence recently.  This guy is so deep in denial. 

He claims the new app is MUCH MORE quick and responsive.  BS!  They’re using their servers so the round-trip for many actions have slowed down to make the new app almost useless.  He won’t even admit they lied about the intro in their mass-email prior to the release. Not to mention the hours on hold with their 3rd party, off-shore so-called support team.  They didn’t even bother to bolster the necessary support for this junk software!

Fire this jerk!  He’s making things worse by the day! 

Oh gawd, The Verge interviewed Spence recently.  This guy is so deep in denial. 

He claims the new app is MUCH MORE quick and responsive.  BS!  They’re using their servers so the round-trip for many actions have slowed down to make the new app almost useless.  He won’t even admit they lied about the intro in their mass-email prior to the release. Not to mention the hours on hold with their 3rd party, off-shore so-called support team.  They didn’t even bother to bolster the necessary support for this junk software!

Fire this jerk!  He’s making things worse by the day! 

I read that. Unbelievable. They have probably only tested it in house , sitting next to the servers. So much for 'user experience' and user testing. Our apps are polling for web services all the time. Incompatible with home audio on a LAN. The shameless gall of these people.