News

The new Sonos Mobile App & Web App

Related products: Software News
The new Sonos Mobile App & Web App

Today we are introducing the most extensive app redesign ever, creating an unprecedented streaming experience that allows listeners to organize their favorite playlists, stations, albums and more from over 100 services on one customizable Home screen.

Home Screen

The new Home screen provides faster access to Sonos system controls with one easy swipe up, making tab to tab jumping a thing of the past. As a leader in sound experience that’s focused on creating a better way to listen, Sonos intentionally redesigned the app on a modern software platform for an easier, faster and better experience that can support more rapid innovation.

The reimagined app supports all existing S2 products and will be available globally through a software update for the S2 mobile app.

100+ streaming services, one Home screen

The redesigned Sonos app prioritizes a listening experience that’s human - allowing you to bring your true favorites front and center and giving you more control to make your streaming experience your own.

• Get into your music (and off the app) faster: No need to tap between tabs — the new Home screen serves up all your favorite content and controls, all in one place. Quickly jump back into your recently played, browse libraries and recommendations from your preferred services, and fill your home with music and all the sounds you love.
  • Customize and curate: Enjoy unparalleled curation by designing your Home screen to reflect how you listen. Pin rows of your favorite content and services; then move, edit, or rearrange them to your liking.
  • Search every streaming library: Look for an artist, song, podcast, or audiobook across all your preferred streaming apps at once via an easy-to-use search bar that’s always available right on your Home screen.
  • Elevated system control: Swipe up from the bottom of your Home screen to seamlessly control your entire system and access a visual overview of what’s playing on each of your products, quickly group speakers, and dial in on the perfect volume from anywhere in the app. 

Accessible from any modern web browser, a brand new web app allows listeners the same seamless system control as the mobile app.

The new Web App

The Web App will be available alongside the redesigned mobile app on May 7, 2024.

Want to find out more about the new Sonos App? Have a look at the Info Hub section of the community for a complete rundown of the new user interface.

Here you can find the full press release. 

Did yoiu find any way how to change stereo balance for Era 100 pair? Seems it is missing in new app too.

For me it’s now totally clear after this crap of an “most extensive app redesign ever”. Bye Sonos! I decided to invest in this system because of specific functions. So I payed not only for hardware but also for the UI and the functions it contains. If the functions that are relevant to me are now removed or "forgotten" without prior information, there is no reason to continue to trust this company in any way. There are limits to everything and my limits as a customer have been far exceeded with this crap of a redesign. Sonos will never see another coin from me. Customer relationship should be the highest good, but they shit on it and clearly show that they are not interested in a real long-term customer relationship. So it's like any other relationship, best to part ways as soon as possible.

New Sonos app is getting plenty of feedback on the Google Play Store… 

It’s just totally crap, worst update ever. i wish I did not had updated the app on my iPad. Seriously, if I would create such a bad product, I would be fired directly. 😤

Reboot of phone didn't help. No music library or apple music. If I go to manage services I get the following even though the app says I am logged into my Sonos account.

Reboot of phone didn't help. No music library or apple music. If I go to manage services I get the following even though the app says I am logged into my Sonos account.

It’s working here - my thoughts are to perhaps try either logging out/in again, or perform an App reset (no need to uninstall) and ensure you allow local network access etc.

It’s working here - my thoughts are to perhaps try either logging out/in again, or perform an App reset (no need to uninstall) and ensure you allow local network access etc.

Not game to mess with it till another update. I can use the old app on my iPad for now.

99% of the music I listen to is stored on my NAS.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why you would release apps that have inferior functionality than the previous version? 

From you listening to locally stored music files SONOS cannot benefit even theoretically. But from you pushed to listen music from streaming platforms through SONOS app and gear most probably they can make a profit. 

But I really wonder what they will benefit from scratching the sleep timer and alarms. And what means “these feature will be back via updates in July”...Which July, 2024 or some other July. Many things appear to be very very wrong here.

@Me40 Just as Sonos don’t make money from me listening to my local music, they don’t make any money from me listening to Spotify or Apple music or any other service that I’m aware of (except their own).

They make money from me wanting to listen to music (or TV etc) in another room and buying (or upgrading) another speaker - the same as if I wanted to listen through a service.  I don’t get your point.  I get the point that users listening to local files are much less than ‘streamers’ - but don’t see where the profit you referred to comes from.

I meant that they don't care if you and me have local storage of music file (as we do). But making listening of local files harder and harder makes me think that they push toward listening streaming platforms on our Sonos products and I won't be surprised if they have some agreements or at least intentions for monetarizing it.

Got a response to my email, similar to other ones posted. To their credit, the directly addressed my comments about last.fm and Subsonic, but I can’t say the responses make sense:

”In the new Sonos app, you won't be able to setup new music libraries or configure existing libraries. You can utilize the Sonos desktop controller to set up and manage your music library. The sleep timer feature is not currently available in the Sonos app, but will return in a future update.

Last.fm is used for scrobbling. Scrobbling is a system that tracks your listening habits and uploads them to your Last.fm account. Every time you play a track it is added, or scrobbled, to your Last.fm account.

Subsonic doesn't show on the services on Sonos. I believe we never supported Subsonic since they do not work the way a normal music service would.”

Even the Sonos App Redesign AMA calling notice is a joke. They seriously think that customers are interested in the people responsible for this horror show and are going to be asking them what music they're into, etc.

OK, then focus on what we can talk about… Feedback on the app redesign… :-) 

I’ve not got any huge issues with the design/layout of the new Sonos App, but appreciate no-one can ever please everyone.

The iPhone controller seems to work really well, perhaps better than my iPad, which maybe needs a little more attention to the ‘now playing’ and ‘room-grouping’ screens, perhaps?

I just want to see the missing ‘bits’ incorporated back and then a little more optimisation to make things even faster than they are already - The App is certainly stable enough on my iOS controller devices and things are working okay - speakers/services are discovered and have been playing okay with no audio interruptions etc.

Just a bit of ‘polish’ and I can look forward to the various new things from Sonos that have been rumoured in the community and elsewhere online.

The Web App, albeit a little basic in functionality, (perhaps intended), is a nice layout too for the iPad/Desktop. It needs a full-size ‘now playing’ screen IMHO and again needs some more optimisation, but I see that as a good ‘catchall’ controller App.

@Jamie A - can you confirm if there is an issue with searching music via Amazon Music on the new app? Or did I miss a message somewhere about that?

Just so those of us affected know that Sonos is aware?

"After thorough development and testing, we are confident this redesigned app is easier, faster and better,” said Patrick Spence, CEO of Sonos. “It once again raises the bar for the home music listening experience, and sets up our ability to expand into new categories and experiences.”

So was anyone posting here actually involved in the testing for this?

The Web App, albeit a little basic in functionality, (perhaps intended), is a nice layout too for the iPad/Desktop. It needs a full-size ‘now playing’ screen IMHO and again needs some more optimisation, but I see that as a good ‘catchall’ controller App.

It also needs to take less than 30 seconds to load.

Needs to work on phone size screens. 

Needs to have an option to turn it off. I only want my speakers exposed to an online controller if I actually need it, not on by default. 

Also it’s unacceptable that there is no MFA support for Sonos accounts. 

checked my password worked in the web app okay and logged out and back into the app worked again. yay.

really want to see some artwork and colour back for my Library music and search functionality as well. fortunately I don’t have a big library so not a deal breaker.

really boring grey looking app as is. colours use to vary depending on the artwork.

@Jamie A - can you confirm if there is an issue with searching music via Amazon Music on the new app? Or did I miss a message somewhere about that?

Hi @SarahN,

It was initially just a browsing outage, but our team discovered that playback and account adding are both affected, so that outage was changed but still relates to these issues. If you did see a message, it may have been the original outage on the status page.

All I can recommend is to keep an eye on the status page as you’ll be able to do the above once it is resolved. 

Sonos is aware of Amazon Music issue

https://status.sonos.com/

Thanks both 

Sonos - it’s pretty clear that the consensus of the ENTIRE INTERNET is that you screwed the pooch on this one, rendering your own products virtually useless. How do we get our money back, now that you’ve destroyed the user interface that was a primary selling point of your product line and a main feature of your (imo) false advertising????

For the life of me, I cannot understand why you would release apps that have inferior functionality than the previous version? 

From you listening to locally stored music files SONOS cannot benefit even theoretically. But from you pushed to listen music from streaming platforms through SONOS app and gear most probably they can make a profit. 

But I really wonder what they will benefit from scratching the sleep timer and alarms. And what means “these feature will be back via updates in July”...Which July, 2024 or some other July. Many things appear to be very very wrong here.

@Me40 Just as Sonos don’t make money from me listening to my local music, they don’t make any money from me listening to Spotify or Apple music or any other service that I’m aware of (except their own).

They make money from me wanting to listen to music (or TV etc) in another room and buying (or upgrading) another speaker - the same as if I wanted to listen through a service.  I don’t get your point.  I get the point that users listening to local files are much less than ‘streamers’ - but don’t see where the profit you referred to comes from.

I meant that they don't care if you and me have local storage of music file (as we do). But making listening of local files harder and harder makes me think that they push toward listening streaming platforms on our Sonos products and I won't be surprised if they have some agreements or at least intentions for monetarizing it.

Sonos have said previously on numerous occasions they have no commercial/financial partnership with the streaming platforms.

Sonos have said previously on numerous occasions they have no commercial/financial partnership with the streaming platforms.

I agree. As mentioned earlier they also said (Patrick Spence, CEO of Sonos):

"After thorough development and testing, we are confident this redesigned app is easier, faster and better. It once again raises the bar for the home music listening experience, and sets up our ability to expand into new categories and experiences.”

Sonos - it’s pretty clear that the consensus of the ENTIRE INTERNET is that you screwed the pooch on this one, rendering your own products virtually useless. How do we get our money back, now that you’ve destroyed the user interface that was a primary selling point of your product line and a main feature of your (imo) false advertising????

People just need to be a little more honest with themselves and use less outrageous language.

Just above this post there were more measured comments from Ken, and I agree with his sentiments.  The user interface isn’t destroyed — I rather like it better than the previous one.  There are missing elements that should have been there from day one but it has mentioned over and over and over to the point of tedium that these will be coming in updates over the next few weeks.  That isn’t ideal and I’m sure the intent was they would have been there from yesterday.  Did they mess up — sure.  But no one has died and if my alarms are missing I can always use my phone to wake me.  Along with the missing pieces bugs will be fixed.  Really people — I can’t believe I’m beginning to sound like Jgatie but your howls of doom and despair are now starting to feel a little bit overblown.  It’s a few weeks — not ideal but you are all adults, and I’m sure you probably have more important things going on in your lives to deal with in the meantime.

People just need to be a little more honest with themselves and use less outrageous language.

Just above this post there were more measured comments from Ken, and I agree with his sentiments.  The user interface isn’t destroyed — I rather like it better than the previous one.  There are missing elements that should have been there from day one but it has mentioned over and over and over to the point of tedium that these will be coming in updates over the next few weeks.  That isn’t ideal and I’m sure the intent was they would have been there from yesterday.  Did they mess up — sure.  But no one has died and if my alarms are missing I can always use my phone to wake me.  Along with the missing pieces bugs will be fixed.  Really people — I can’t believe I’m beginning to sound like Jgatie but your howls of doom and despair are now starting to feel a little bit overblown.  It’s a few weeks — not ideal but you are all adults, and I’m sure you probably have more important things going on in your lives to deal with in the meantime.

Overall, I agree with you.  I do think a grovelling apology, however, is in order 😝😁