Recommended music - other than classical and pop

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

333 replies

For those that like Snarky Puppy, can I put in a recommendation for Jaga Jazzist.

Great suggestion - thanks. A most interesting band, and one that will take a while to explore. For the moment, I really enjoyed their "Live with Britten Sinfonia". It is rare to hear such fresh and different music.

This reminded me to listen to an old favourite "Vision" by Shankar, Garbarek and Mikkelborg. The track "Psychic Elephant" is a particular joy.

I am not overly fond of the violin here - although the mentioned track is very good. I prefer Garbarek on the Song for Everyone album that is east west fusion as well.
A few good recent finds:
Get me Joe Beck - Joe Beck led guitar/bass/drum trio jazz standards live set and also well recorded.
And two with the ever reliable Eric Clapton in a duo setting. Riding with the King, with B B King. And The Road to Escondido with JJ Cale.
Now I read about Bela Fleck, my comment about the banjo seems a bit silly 🙂 In any event, the combination of Indian-style music and banjo was unexpected but enjoyable.
And if east west fusion is to taste, two more of Bela Fleck are also excellent:
Tabula Rasa
The Melody of Rhythm

I really like Tabula Rasa - thanks. I wasn't expecting the banjo!

This reminded me to listen to an old favourite "Vision" by Shankar, Garbarek and Mikkelborg. The track "Psychic Elephant" is a particular joy.

Cheers, Peter.
Guess the previous owner isn't a fan of the piano/bass concept.
Other excellent albums of this type are Night and the City/Barron and Haden, and Jim Hall - Charlie Haden, by the same name. Alone Together/Ron Carter and Jim Hall is also very good.
The Art of Conversation by Kenny Barron and Dave Holland.

Found that gem in a used CD shop over Christmas. Guess the previous owner isn't a fan of the piano/bass concept. I love the lively 'conversation,' and the album cover is stunning, also... few different covers depending on how you look at it.

Been playing Harry James' The Mellow Horn... Heard 'It's Been A Long, Long Time' in Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Such great old school trumpet/orchestra work.
Badge
The Art of Conversation by Kenny Barron and Dave Holland.

For those that like Snarky Puppy, can I put in a recommendation for Jaga Jazzist.
Ahmad Jamal "owns" Poinciana, but the version here is a good fresh take on it.
Listened to a few times by now, it sounds very good indeed - the rest of the tracks are also quite good if the entire CD is to be bought.
And an old classic which still sounds fresh - Jazz Samba/Stan Getz and Charlie Byrd.
Nice one, thanks - a lot more to it than just ambient. Ahmad Jamal "owns" Poinciana, but the version here is a good fresh take on it.
Userlevel 2
For more 'ambient jazz' I suggest Andreas Dreier Trio: Poinciana.
For a taste of Jamaican Jazz with a groove - or Jazz cum Reggae - a great album is Below the Bass line - Ernest Ranglin.
A recent not so new discovery that still sounds fresh - jazz with a groove but not so that is too smooth:
Grover Washington - A Secret Place/Come Morning/Winelight.
I had not mentioned them because they aren't "new".

More classics on these lines:
Miles Davis: Blue Miles
Joe Henderson: The State of the Tenor
Sonny Rollins: Saxophone Colossus
Grant Green: Idle Moments
Herbie Hancock: A Jazz Collection
Bill Evans: Sunday Night at the Village Vanguard
Paul Desmond: Feeling Blue
Chet Baker: Paris Sessions
Art Pepper: Meets the Rhythm Section
Ben Webster: Soulville
Oscar Peterson: Night Train
Charles Mingus Live at Antibes
John Coltrane: My Favorite Things
Monk and Coltrane at Carnegie Hall
Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie: Jazz at Massey Hall
And depending on which one is liked, there is a vast music trove of these Jazz giants to explore further. The one thing to look for is that there are versions that aren't mastered as well as others may be.

Miles Davis; Kind of Blue
Stan Getz; Getz/Gilberto
John Coltrane; John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman
Keith Jarrett; Koln Concert
Oregon; Out of the Woods
Pat Metheny; Bright Size Life
Chet Baker; Best of Chet Baker Sings

Kenny Burrell; Midnight Blue

Bill Evans Trio; Waltz for Debby

Thanks. I have had the above for many years now, and all are excellent and recommended to anyone that likes jazz styles and hasn't heard these. I had not mentioned them because they aren't "new".
I will look up the others.
Userlevel 2
@Kumar, based on your original list, off the top of my head, may I suggest:

Miles Davis; Kind of Blue
Stan Getz; Getz/Gilberto
John Coltrane; John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman
Keith Jarrett; Koln Concert
Oregon; Out of the Woods
Pat Metheny; Bright Size Life
Chet Baker; Best of Chet Baker Sings
David Axelrod; Song of Innocence
Kenny Burrell; Midnight Blue
Madredeus; Ainda
Brian Eno; Music for Airports
Bill Evans Trio; Waltz for Debby
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
Today I've been listening to Four80East on Spotify.
Melodic electro jazz with a great bass groove. Worth a listen.
And if east west fusion is to taste, two more of Bela Fleck are also excellent:
Tabula Rasa
The Melody of Rhythm

As is Malian Kora guitar music from Toumani Diabate. I think I have referred to New Ancient Strings earlier, but the recent Mande Variations is also very good.
Another new - to me - find that is worth a listen: Bela Fleck/Live Art.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi,
This thread is very useful, I found a lot of interesting music.
I came across a lot of new names and I've expanded my musical library.
I hope it will continue.
Thank you for all the suggestions.
Badge +8
Why not? I find in interesting. And btw this is an open forum if you don't want comments than maybe consider what you post. I'm sure if I posted that I was into Polka music that there might be a few folks that questioned my taste in music. If I didn't want to defend my love of Polka music then it would probably make sense not to mention it.
Ambient jazz huh?? Sounds good but it's kind of boring..
Our tastes differ. Don't look up my recommendations in future.
Badge +8
Ambient jazz huh?? Sounds good but it's kind of boring..
Three excellent recent additions: albums by John Taylor, Peter Erskine and Palle Danielsson - As it is, Time being, and, You never know.
ECM albums, so the usual good sound quality as well.
Badge +8
By modern pop you mean? All the crap that involves dancing, auto tune, and limited to zero real musical talent?
It also sounds great with the Sonos SUB - the band leader is a bass player.

I found their The Only Constant to be good too, thanks.
For a Sub capability check, a great album is Victor Wooten's A Show of Hands. Solo bass guitar album.