How do I get sonos to trigger an external amp

How can I get my sonos connect to trigger on my external amp ?? I wish sonos would add a 12v trigger... I am trying to figure out how to get my sonos to trigger on my external amp from standby mode. I don't want to leave amp in active mode all the time.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Badge
I can confirm that the Bobwire DAT1 works. Had it sent from the US to the EU country in which I live. Have had it running for a month and it solves the problem with activation at low volumes and it works flawlessly. The setup is easy and it's a clean solution, except for the standby usage of the small device itself combined with the standby usage of the amp. I still turn off the amp (NAD C275BEE) by hand sometimes when I know I am not going to use it for a while.

Thanks for the follow up! I have ordered the Bobwire Dat1 and will be reporting back after I get a chance to set it up.
Userlevel 2
I can confirm that the Bobwire DAT1 works. Had it sent from the US to the EU country in which I live. Have had it running for a month and it solves the problem with activation at low volumes and it works flawlessly. The setup is easy and it's a clean solution, except for the standby usage of the small device itself combined with the standby usage of the amp. I still turn off the amp (NAD C275BEE) by hand sometimes when I know I am not going to use it for a while.
Badge
I posted this in another thread, check out the "Bobwire DAT1". This will add a 12v trigger to connect. I bought on Amazon...

Thanks for this post! I will definitely check this out. Looks like exactly what I was looking for. Price is really fair considering what it does.
Badge
I have been fighting with this same problem for quite awhile. I saw the Port has it, but the port is $400!

I only use the optical out and my own DAC, so an upgrade is not worth it for me.

I ended up finding this, but haven't tried it yet. Reviews mention the Connect.

https://www.amazon.com/Bobwire-Trigger-Compatible-ChromeCast-Amplifiers/dp/B07QS89MZG/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1

Anyone have experience with this?

Sonos Connect 12V trigger on Amazon
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
The new Port has a 12V trigger, although OP may not want replace Connect just for this (and Airplay and better DAC).
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Sure there are ways to do it, but a real 5.1 solution for external speakers with sonos is long overdue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If you don't have a trigger input just pick up a (dumb or smart) switch that does have one.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Problem with the trigger, Denon doesn’t have a trigger input. Only output.
so even if sonos has the trigger out, it wouldn’t help.
I posted this in another thread, check out the "Bobwire DAT1". This will add a 12v trigger to connect. I bought on Amazon...
Userlevel 2
Unfortunately this Xantech gear is discontinued but still around. What you need is a SMAUD Audio Sensor Module, CBCSM1 Current Sensor Block and a12volt power supply.
Samsung Smartthings hub is able to detect when Sonos Connect is "turned on"
I've tested this and it can trigger an action (such as turning on a light). What I'll do next is purchase a Logitech Harmony and create an action that powers on the amp (in this case a Denon Receiver)
Badge +1
I used a development board to do the trick. you can see more here...
it is using the ethernet so no need for a soldering iron :)
http://www.adps.dk/DIY/sonosTrigSig/index.php
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I use Indigo Domotics home automation. I set up a trigger that automatically turns on my Denon amp and sets it to the Sonos input, sets the volume to -14 (that number works for me) as soon as the Sonos player goes into a playing state. When the sonos pauses/stops, it waits 60 seconds and then turns off the denon. I added the 60 delay in case I am just changing music sources, so it won't keep turning on and off. Woks great with no issues. I'm sure other home automations systems can do this too.
Userlevel 1
Matt R, this is a huge missing feature in Sonos. Sonos should offer a sonos branded solution or point to a specific product that solves this. I've been a customer for a long time with a lot of your product and this issue is a huge frustration for people.
Hi CapnAndre

Welcome to the Community!

Officially you can't , technically the only way you could do it would be to get a bit handy with a soldering iron and obviously we wouldn't recommend or support that.

i.e. you could get a the appropriate relay that switches at a very low level and tap an output from the connect and use this to switch the relay connected to the trigger input to the amp.

I hope this makes some sense!