Answered

App cannot find Connect

• 2 February 2023
  • 5 replies

I have a Connect and Connect Amp. Both are connected to different mesh routers in different rooms (using Ethernet). Everything was working fine, until I installed a new mesh router a couple of days ago as the old mesh router was starting to give me problems. Now the app (Sonos S1) is able to find the Connect Amp. But is not able to find the Connect. I’ve tried to use “find missing product”, “add a new product to existing system” in setting, reset the Connect to factory setting, moved the Connect to the same room/router as the Connect Amp with no success. Any suggestion and help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sanjiv 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 2 February 2023, 19:37

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Your new undefined mesh router is likely separating each ‘extender’ into a different subnet, which the Sonos are unable to bridge. Try connecting just one of the Sonos speakers to the base device/router, and disconnect the cabling to the other, then wait a few minutes for the network topology to settle. Finally, open your controller to see if both devices are now showing up. If so, remove the network data from the controller, so there’s no further confusion, and you’re done.

If, however, this doesn’t fix the issue, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Bruce, thanks for your suggestion. Interestingly, neither the Connect Amp or the Connect are connected to the base router. Both are connected to the mesh extenders. So while the app is able to find and connect to the Connect Amp, it is not able to do the same for the Connect. Wonder why that is the case if the new mesh router (TP-Link Decco AX4300 Pro) is in fact separating each “extender” into a different subnet? Either way, I will try to move the Connect to the base router and see if that solves the problem. Also, I’m a bit confused by this statement and what I need to do here “If so, remove the network data from the controller, so there’s no further confusion, and you’re done”.

Thanks again

Sanjiv

Yea, I honestly don’t know, I’ve never looked in to the TP-Link to see how they really work, but this is a common issue, and I feel at least 75% comfortable in providing the advice. 

If you’re setting up SonosNet (which you are, by wiring one Sonos device to the base router), then you don’t want the system to have the ability to use both connections, either the SonosNet one, or the regular wifi signal. The potential (not always, but it can happen) is for the system to “waffle” between the two connection methods, potentially causing slight interruptions in the data stream as the Sonos switches between connection methods. Ideally, there’s enough buffer, but I’m a fan of not providing any opportunity for confusion. 

There’s more data here, if you’re interested, in the wireless and wired systems FAQ.

If, however, this suggested fix doesn’t change anything, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network. 

So I disconnected the Ethernet cable from my Connect to the router (kept the Connect Amp connected using Ethernet) and then used the “add new product to existing system” feature and it worked. I am now able to see and use both my products in the app. So, follow up question on this: connecting both Sonos products using Ethernet is a no-no? Wondering why the setup (connecting both using Ethernet) worked with my old mesh router?  

Thanks!

Sanjiv

Some mesh networks split the individual extenders into separate subnets, something that Sonos can’t cross. Some mesh networks maintain a single subnet, which Sonos needs to function. It’s why Sonos recommends using SonosNet connection when you have a mesh router, in the FAQ.