Further sidelining of NAS Music Library in new Sonos App??

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I can’t see any mention of a (NAS) Music Library in the promotional content for the new Sonos App. There is plenty of mention of “favourite Music Services” though.

Please please tell me that, unlike the new search, support for NAS music libraries is not being further sidelined? This is one of the things that drew me to Sonos in the first place (in 2008 FYI).

Joel

38 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

A lot of people use their routers with a usb drive plugged in. Most of these routers only support SMBv1. I have been using this method for 15yrs. I recently set up a system for a friend who has the latest EE router that I think only does SMBv1. Having spent circa £2500 on Sonos Gear he is going to be delighted when I tell him his library is not going to work after the May "upgrade".

So, not quite sure what is going on.

Is anybody sure?!

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

How are Sonos legal obligations for S2 different to what they already declare to be the case in S1 - where it's basically use at your own risk etc.?  Has the reason for some users needing to activate SMBv1 on their S2 systems been explained before?   Hopefully it is understood (and resolved if this change is implemented) or there could be many more people affected who aren't currently.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Worst case for someone on an SMB1 only NAS would be having to add an SMB1 to SMB 2 and/or 3 gateway. Not rocket science and a cheap Pi Zero will serve well.

This also works well for sharing NFS to Sonos.

Raspberry Pi SMB v1 Gateway to Sonos

https://stan-miller.livejournal.com/357.html

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Gosh, I just logged in to see if there’d been any replies to my original post… seems I kicked the hornets nest somewhat!

As a user of Sonos since 2008 and with a large library ripped to FLAC, I find it staggering that Sonos almost expects me to have some kind of knowledge of SMBx in order to continue making informed decisions about the continuation of use of their products. So much for a simple user experience that “works flawlessly out of the box”.

Shame.

I had a pop up message on my Sonos app that in a couple of months time in a new version of the S2 app the ability to have a NAS music library was going to be discontinued permanently because of security concerns about SMB V1. I can’t find out any more detail on the Sonos web site or these forums. It’ll be very disappointing as I have versions of songs I haven’t found on music services. I’m sure others do too.

Do any of the learned guys on this forum know any more about this?

I saw a pop up, too, and didn’t get a screencap. But my takeaway--which may or may not be accurate--was that Sonos was discontinuing system access to a library on a computer because of security concerns. Instead, only NAS libraries were going to be supported. Did I dream this?

jafsmith - if so I had the same dream!  And I’ve spent time looking at a replacement router that will support NAS drive attachment.   Wandered into this discussion just trying to validate if Sonos pop up was accurate.  Wouldn’t you think a change like this would be front and center on the Sonos Support web site?   Or at least clearly delineated in an email to customers from Sonos - with timeframe for when support goes away.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

A lot of people use their routers with a usb drive plugged in. Most of these routers only support SMBv1. I have been using this method for 15yrs. I recently set up a system for a friend who has the latest EE router that I think only does SMBv1. Having spent circa £2500 on Sonos Gear he is going to be delighted when I tell him his library is not going to work after the May "upgrade".

I have a 2TB HDD connected to the latest EE /BT router and I'm quite sure it's SMBv1. A pity about the downgrade of the app, which has obviously been redesigned to appeal to the "Sonos, play a Feel Good Friday playlist!" crowd, which is Sonos' core market now. It's particularly disappointing given that the current app has been working so smoothly over the past six months or so, far better than it ever has.

I was going to revert to a laptop / stereo setup but instead I'm utilising a mini-PC (a freebie from Amazon Vine!) with my hard drive attached to it, using Plex. I've indexed my collection of 3,500+ FLAC albums, checking, double checking and triple checking that I ticked the option to use my tagging, not Plex's! The mini-PC is connected to my TV by HDMI for when I need to update my Plex library, but I don't need to have the screen on for general use - I turn it on and shut it down (properly) using the power button.

It's not as straightforward as it used to be, obviously, and although it's not a massive amount, having a mini-PC on 16 hours a day costs money.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Been playing today with my large (35k tracks) local library and tried to change to SMBv2 on my ASUS router and got the usual failure to index messages so this is not fixed. Removing SMBv1 will render my system useless to me unless this can be resolved. Is this just a ASUS issue and if so does anyone have any suggestions?

Last week I switched from the ‘native’ Sonos music library sharing (SonosLibraryShare.exe) built into the Windows desktop client to an SMBv2 share. Everything worked—indexing included—and my library is 20K tracks. I mention this as a very recent datapoint for you.

Only suggestion I have: start off with a tiny subset of your library, say a single artist. If nothing else, that will make the testing cycle super-fast. Once you get everything ironed out with such a mini-library, you ought to be able to throw your entire music library into the fray.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Been playing today with my large (35k tracks) local library and tried to change to SMBv2 on my ASUS router and got the usual failure to index messages so this is not fixed. Removing SMBv1 will render my system useless to me unless this can be resolved. Is this just a ASUS issue and if so does anyone have any suggestions?

Last week I switched from the ‘native’ Sonos music library sharing (SonosLibraryShare.exe) built into the Windows desktop client to an SMBv2 share. Everything worked—indexing included—and my library is 20K tracks. I mention this as a very recent datapoint for you.

Only suggestion I have: start off with a tiny subset of your library, say a single artist. If nothing else, that will make the testing cycle super-fast. Once you get everything ironed out with such a mini-library, you ought to be able to throw your entire music library into the fray.

Sonos has acknowledged that this bug exists. It’s not user error. Your library of 20k is too small to be affected. 

If you have the disk space create a second copy of your library and see if it will index the entire 40k.

Dear all, 

help me out here… What is, in fact, going to become outdated? (S1… Is that “Sonos 1”, or some kind of NAS Generation thing?)

Certain older NAS (I have an old MyCloud, and indeed, suddenly, features are very lacking), or old Sonos speakers (I have 3 “original” S1s). I wouldn’t mind updating my NAS, but if I need to update all my speakers, SONOS is out. I only listen to my own library.

I’m also wondering if merely downloading an old version of the app would solve it. And: is that even possible?

Alex

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

So this morning’s update 80.00.08 finally terminated my connection to my 15-year old Buffalo Linkstation NAS as it only runs SMB1

Can anyone recommend an alternative please? 4TB should do it...

That’s sad. 

I was expecting further updates, following this storm of comments, would improve the situation, not worsen it. 

But I’m interested in this as well.

(And happy to understand that an update of NAS, and not speakers, would solve it.)

Although, to be honest, I’m still inclined to wait for a few updates.

So this morning’s update 80.00.08 finally terminated my connection to my 15-year old Buffalo Linkstation NAS as it only runs SMB1

Can anyone recommend an alternative please? 4TB should do it...

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

This is one of the things that drew me to Sonos in the first place (in 2008 FYI).

Was there an alternative then? But yes, being able to play owned music anywhere in the home is a big draw to the minority that still enjoys that feature and I am one of such people. I am on S1 and these Sonos moves don’t bother me.

We had the Squeezebox line back then until Logitech pulled the plug on it, no idea why! The Squeezebox range could be controlled via the web too, 20yrs before Sonos, had some fun with that 🤣

The Squeezebox Radio was a great bit of kit, battery/mains powered with an LCD display, years before Sonos came up with a battery speaker. I miss mine 😪