In-Ceiling Speaker Installation Guidelines

• 29 April 2024
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 7

Hello

Quite often questions are asked in the community about the proper installation of In-Ceiling speakers. Sonos provides general installation guidelines reference their Architectural In-Ceiling Speakers made in collaboration with Sonance.  At best it’s somewhat pedestrian in nature.  

Below is a link to a PDF prepared by Smart Home Sounds in the U.K. that goes in-depth on the subjects you see below the link. Ironically they are Sonos centric; but also mention other brands as well. You’ll even see pictures of the Sonos Amp as an integral component in the installation. Sweet!! 😊

I feel confident in recommending this as a must read if you are considering in-ceiling speakers for your home. Enjoy!

Note: I have no connection of any sort to the company. However, in keeping with Sonos Community Rules of Conduct please beware there is a link in the PDF to their website which contains advertisements and products for sale other than Sonos. 

https://smarthomesounds.sirv.com/live-wordpress/2019/03/Ceiling-Speaker-EBook-Final-Version-.pdf

1. Introduction ........ 3 

1.1. Are ceiling speakers worth it? ........ 4 

2.Introducing Ceiling Speakers ........ 5 

2.1. Basic Set Up ........ 6
2.2. A bit about Ceiling Speakers ........ 9 

2.3. Placement Considerations ........ 10 

3.What to look for ........ 12 

3.1. How will they fit ........ 13
3.2. Room Size ........ 14
3.3. Speaker Placement ........ 15 

3.4. Ceiling Speaker Terms ........17 

3.4.1. Basic Features ........ 17 

3.4.2 Advanced Features ........ 18 

4.How to choose an Amplifier ........ 20 

4.1. Amplifier Classifications ........ 21
4.2. How to connect an Amplifier ........ 22 

4.3. How to choose the correct Amplifier ........ 23 

5.Wiring and Installation ........ 27 

5.1. Making Connections ........ 28 

5.2. Common Questions ........ 29 

6. Get in touch ........ 31 

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I noted they think TV speakers should be behind the listener, that sounds a bit odd to me but I’m not a fan of ceiling speakers in the first place.

I’ve never heard an installation that compared favorably to similar money spent on conventional speakers. Particularly unimpressive was the stereo imaging.

Over all though that is a decent read for someone starting out.