Answered

ZP90 has died, do I have to replace it to use a gen 1 Play 5?

• 6 August 2018
  • 6 replies

My ZP90 refuses to power up since last week. Due to stereo upgrades over time it’s only function was to stream to a gen 1 play 5 in another room. My question is do I need to replace the ZP90, or is the Play 5 able to function without it? The Play 5 is in a different room to my router.
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 7 August 2018, 11:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Was it streaming audio to/from a stereo/amp/deck/cd etc. to/from your Play-5 in the next room? Your post is not clear as to what your zp90 was actually doing?

Was it cabled to your router, or just running on your WiFi signal?
Hi, the ZP90 was hard wired to my router. Previously it was also connected to my amplifier to play music held on a NAS through my living room separates, but this element isn't required anymore.
Since the ZP90 failed we have no music in the kitchen via the Play 5, so I was wondering if the Play 5 needed the ZP90 to function or is there another option.
You ask what function the ZP90 was performing - I assumed that was the element that was allowing the Play 5 to perform its job - sorry for the lack of knowledge but the Sonos system has just sat there working away for years without too much thought from myself as to how it did it!
No problem I just wasn’t sure what you were trying to achieve. The good news is that you don’t need your ZP90 if your play 5 hardware is working okay. Here are the steps you need to take.

1. Take the play 5 and cable it to your router with an Ethernet cable and power it on.
2. Open the Sonos App Software.. your speaker should reappear in the App and the App may prompt you to install updates, so do the updates first.
3. Then go into the Sonos App's Advanced Settings and goto 'wireless setup' where you will need to reset and enter your current Router WiFi credentials, that’s the WiFi SSID and it’s password. Note these are case sensitive.
4. Give it a minute or two then turn off the speaker and disconnect it from the router. Take it back to the room and put it back where you want it and switch it on, give it a few minutes and allow it to connect to your routers WiFi.

It should now be working standalone and you should now be able to play music to it via the Sonos App or from a Spotify Premium account etc.

Let me know how you get on, or come back to me if you encounter any problems.
Thanks very much. I'll try this later on and let you know how it goes.
Top man Ken, it works perfectly - great instructions! And so simple. Thanks once again
Great news, glad you are back up and running.?