'Your system requires attention' - Clear support strategy for 'older' kit needed, maybe 'Sonos Classic'?

• 21 January 2020
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Like many longtime users of Sonos products (since 2012) I guess I have acted as an ‘unpaid ambassador’ for their brand. I’m not the type to ‘boast’ about owning such a system to others, but probably at least once every couple of weeks I recommend them - usually adding the line ‘a little pricey, but worth it’.

Like many users, I received one of those 'Your system requires attention' - emails. The first had been for my various Bridges - no biggie, I traded up to a Boost. However this time Sonos Inc. decided to announce that my Connect box (bought 2013 @ USD 320, still being sold in UK by the large firm Richer Sounds) and my 2x Play:5 (‘1st Gen’, bought 2013 and 2015 @ USD 450 each) were now considered to be ‘legacy’.

Given that this effectively means that after 5 years of use of some products, I am now being advised by Sonos to return them and pay to ‘trade-up’ instead, in all honesty I can’t see myself recommending Sonos to anyone else I meet going forward.

Had Sonos been half the price to begin with, not so much a problem. But, like others, I assumed I was buying a premium product, with support to match. It doesn’t help that the 30% trade-up discount ends up being much, much less by the time you factor in price hikes/inflation in the case of the replacements.

Many extremely profitable tech firms nowadays almost seem to view the opinions of their customers as being irrelevant, which they can get away with of course if they have a near-enough monopoly on the technology - which was the case for Sonos products a few years back - not so much nowadays.

Going forward, I would be willing to continue to recommend Sonos to others (and purchase additional units when needed, either for expansion or for breakdown reasons)  if Sonos actively promoted a stable experience for ‘legacy’ kit.

A user in another post has suggested this kind of thing: “Once play devices become involved, I think it's time for "Sonos Classic" version to keep those alive. Killing cr100 + cr200 is one thing, but killing play devices is another. (Paulw123 wrote:)”

I cannot ever see me wanting Alexa type functionality, I’m just happy to have my old B&O hifi going through Connect as needed, hooking the PC line-in to the Play:5, and listening to the radio via TuneIn. My demands are very few, but - thinking I was investing in a, say, 20 year solution, I was totally happy to fork out nearly USD 5,000 for my system.

Talking of Bang & Olufsen, Sonos could well go the same way - years ago I was happy to pay a premium for B&O kit which had no equal when it came to design - they sort of had a monopoly too, I guess.

Fast forward to now, and as the share price tanks and the company heads for bankruptcy, B&O executives are beginning to realise that charging 2-3x the going rate for kit often made in China and surrounded by much improved designs elsewhere is no longer attractive to customers. And again, their hard core of loyal (or obsessive) fans are calling it a day and heading off to buy cheaper but well-designed kit elsewhere.

Apart from their once fairly unique wireless technology, the USP (old term, still relevant) for Sonos was ‘quality, reliability and support. If they continue to offer that, then they will continue to have an income stream from loyal customers. Charging high prices then telling people their kit is not really usable after 5 years is going to do nothing for the brand.

A ‘Sonos Classic’ strategy, whereby a stable software platform is guaranteed for ‘legacy’ kit (with understandably no new functionality) would do a lot to keep users loyal to Sonos, and to keep acting as unpaid ambassadors. Finance types with their heads buried in Excel and with one eye on the share price probably won’t get it - but I suspect anyone with a long-term view and understanding of the brand will.

Here’s hoping.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

The big question for Sonos - what product is next to be deactivated, and how can we find out?

Should we worry when a product disappears from sale? (I count 7 such units in my system, including the Play:5)

The worst bit about the “requires your attention” email is:

Please note that because Sonos is a system, all products operate on the same software. If modern products remain connected to legacy products after May, they also will not receive software updates and new features.

i.e. the more Sonos products you buy for your system over time, the sooner you can expect another email like this.

This is really shabby.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks for the email letting me know that my 2 play5’s won’t be useable in the near future. What’s next? My playbar or sub or play1? Salesman never said this would happen. 

Sonos can go and get stuffed. 

Im not giving you guys anymore of my money. I recently had to buy a Bluetooth receiver for my system cause you discontinued the ability to play songs directly from our iOS devices and now this?

First and last time buying anything from this brand  

So what do I do? They won’t be worth anything now…..

Cheers 

Like our community friend above I have often recommended Sonos, I’ve always been impressed by its ability to be such a reliable integrated system. But that has changed now, it’s shocking that the creators of an expensive system can the stance of;

what you’ve got won’t work anymore but you can buy some more if you throw away perfectly good pieces of equipment!  

I accept that devices may not have the hardware to keep up with newer equipment, but they should at the very least ensure older devices can still be used as they are today. Yes we can still use it but the statement:

“Over time, this is likely to disrupt access to services and overall functionality.”

doesn’t sound like they believe they will keep working. 

I don’t know what alternatives there are, sure there will be more than when I bought my first one, I thought I’d made a good choice all those years ago when I bought sonos, maybe not. 

Badge

In my living room I have a full system, beam , subwoofer, two play1s. I’ve two play 5’s one in the dining room one in my second living room. I’ve also a third play 1 in my office. 

I have no intention of upgrading any of these speakers. Personally i am alarmed and disappointed at the strength of the message from sonos. 

I get devices cannot be expected to have lifetime software support but basic functionality (and security) has to be maintained. 

feels like I’m being held to ransom by sonos. 

so what if I do upgrade so my gen1 play5’s are scrapped? How long before I’m taking the replacements to the dump?

Sonos be warned …. you think this is a strategic move for your bottom line but like many others Ive spent thousands based on a recommendation and belief that usage is reliable and worth the investment. Now we all know Sonos products only have a shelf life of 5 years! ! (and the initial outlay does not warrant its lifespan)

Updates will stop in May 2020 and if by some miracle the product continues to work for a few more months or years I’m half expecting another message from Sonos - “ Your music provider service, Spotify, has been updated , or similar, & as a result Sonos will longer be able to offer the service on your legacy product, please upgrade “ :rage:

Sonos be warned …. you think this is a strategic move for your bottom line but like many others Ive spent thousands based on a recommendation and belief that usage is reliable and worth the investment. Now we all know Sonos products only have a shelf life of 5 years! ! (and the initial outlay does not warrant its lifespan)

Updates will stop in May 2020 and if by some miracle the product continues to work for a few more months or years I’m half expecting another message from Sonos - “ Your music provider service, Spotify, has been updated , or similar, & as a result Sonos will longer be able to offer the service on your legacy product, please upgrade “ :rage:

Sadly I think this is a reality.  I still have a Marantz CD-63 KI-Sig, it doesn't need updates, I can’t play it in different rooms without running wires everywhere and I have to get out of my chair to change the CD. But over 20 years from I bought it for £399 - it still works.  Over the years I have added new components, better Amps and my most recent addition Sonos to enable whole house music.  Now, the newest addition to my system looks like it will be the shortest lived

What are Sonos thinking?  Some idiot thinks that offering a 30% discount will boost their bottom line by getting lots of customers to upgrade to newer products.  What they haven’t factored in is the uproar from a loyal community that bought their expensive Sonos products as a solution to wire free multi-room sound, not for 5 years but for 10-20 years.  Yes products sometimes break, but to self destruct and go obsolete is something else

Hopefully Sonos will see sense and come up with a solution.  I fully understand that my old product may not be able to updated for Room or Chomecast or whatever tomorrow’s flavour is, but that it may grind my entire system of legacy and modern products to halt is unacceptable

Come on Sonos - listen to your customers and find a solution please

Badge

Very poorly thought out by sonos. I have now got about £2000 of hardware that I’m thinking is going to be technically obsolete in a couple of years. I might need to consider alternatives. 

feeling a bit ripped off right now.