WSS21 / WSS22 - Sonos One - Sanus Stands Safety Concerns - Easily Topples due to lack of screw

• 4 December 2017
  • 27 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
#SonosOne
Hi All

Just wanted to see if anyone is currently experiencing a possible issue with the Sonos One not being securely screwed to the provided Sanus brackets shipping with new WSS22 "Sonos One" stands. As the old Play 1 had a screw at the back of them, old Gen. Sanus brackets (for the WSS1) had the holes and could be secured to the speakers, however as Sonos seems to have done away with the screw design together with any compatibility with previous Play 1 stands, it appears to be to difficult to design a bracket to actually firm grasp the base of the Sonos One Speakers, making it easier for a toddler to sustain damage from an unstable speaker even though the base is wide and stable it's easy for the speaker to get knocked and damaged which also potentially means more sales for Sonos due damaged Ones in the process

Please comment if anyone seems to have bought one yet and concurs there is a chance of the speaker getting knocked of the bracket base easily unless the "base bracket grip" can be tightened. Sonos don't appear to sell the Flexson version of the One stands as yet on the website, but on contacting Flexson , their technical document shows the base bracket to be near enough the full size if the Sonos speaker base at appx 110mm, unfortunately the only way to test if it's any more secure woulf to buy those as well now and return the ones that are worse off. It's quite a shame to release premium products with such oversight , I certainly hope it's not becoming a bit like DYSON and release iterations of products far inferior in design and longevity than it's predecessors with each new version and not being any cheaper!!

Look Forward to any thoughts on this current dilemma!!...

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

27 replies

Hello Satyp,

Thank you for following up with us here. I understand that the safety and security of your new Sonos One are important when finding the right mounting solution. Rest assured, SANUS has developed this product with an adapter that is specifically made for the Sonos One. (Taking into account the lack of threaded insert). It’s difficult to see in the images, but the bracket used on these stands for the Sonos One offer a very secure snug fit to ensure the speaker is secured, especially with the power cord inserted. If you’re looking to lock the speaker down on the stand for the Sonos One, it won’t go that far, but we have tested this for tipping and it meets the UL certification standards of at least 10 degrees of tip over on either side.

We do offer a bracket to lock the Play:1 down using the speaker’s threaded insert if you’re considering that speaker. Another option if you’re worried about little ones reaching for the speaker is our wall mounts we have designed specifically for the Sonos One. Those are designed using our patented Invisigrip system to tether the speaker securely and safely without the need for a threaded screw insert as well. Something to think about! If you would like to discuss further, do not hesitate to contact us directly at 800-359-5520. We are available 7 days a week to make sure you get exactly what you need!

Kathryn @SANUS
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hello Satyp,

Thank you for following up with us here. I understand that the safety and security of your new Sonos One are important when finding the right mounting solution. Rest assured, SANUS has developed this product with an adapter that is specifically made for the Sonos One. (Taking into account the lack of threaded insert). It’s difficult to see in the images, but the bracket used on these stands for the Sonos One offer a very secure snug fit to ensure the speaker is secured, especially with the power cord inserted. If you’re looking to lock the speaker down on the stand for the Sonos One, it won’t go that far, but we have tested this for tipping and it meets the UL certification standards of at least 10 degrees of tip over on either side.

We do offer a bracket to lock the Play:1 down using the speaker’s threaded insert if you’re considering that speaker. Another option if you’re worried about little ones reaching for the speaker is our wall mounts we have designed specifically for the Sonos One. Those are designed using our patented Invisigrip system to tether the speaker securely and safely without the need for a threaded screw insert as well. Something to think about! If you would like to discuss further, do not hesitate to contact us directly at 800-359-5520. We are available 7 days a week to make sure you get exactly what you need!

Kathryn @SANUS

Hi Kathryn@Sanus

Thanks for response and appreciate the comments with regards to "meeting" certifications, which are carried out in controlled environments generally and usually help meet minimum requirements, and can potentially miss practical assessments and environmenrts, which if taken into account can usually "meet and exceed" certification requirements.

I'm sure Sanus do go out of the way to design decent products, but in this case as an accessory to Sonos, there is only so much any design team can do if the product you are designing for itself has the limitation, as I'm sure if the Sonos one had the threaded insert Sanus would have designed accordingly. I still think the bracket could have benefited from a spring of sorts that could have held the speaker tighter, who knows , it could have achieved 15 or 20 degrees of tip over on either side.

In any case, I cannot expect any company in their right minds to accept any form of limitation within its product lines even if minute, until of course there is a high number of complaints , which I doubt is the case here., the decision to have the stands was mainly because having hole's are impractical for the wall mounts. The stands are blocked of with furniture for the moment as we currently considering alternative ideas and may well need to look at brackets.

Thanks for your update here and email but we will need to look at all design for both stands and wall mounts from Sanus & Flexson's at a local Sonos stockist in due course and make a decision accordingly..

I sincerely hope Sanus/Sonos look at this again together, after all it's the whole point of feedback, the what if's, I'm sure if one customer see's it more will surely if enough people buy them around the world, at which point the UL certifications will need to be reviewed again.

All the best
Regards
satyp
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
@satyp: it's not clear whether you've actually bought the Sanus product and are offering feedback, or just speculating that there might be an issue without actually having used an example of the product. Which is it?
Userlevel 1
Badge
@satyp: it's not clear whether you've actually bought the Sanus product and are offering feedback, or just speculating that there might be an issue without actually having used an example of the product. Which is it?

@pwt - let's make it clear then.. Have purchased directly from Sonos, delivered Friday, I guess you'll need to possess one to see that issue .. as it would be difficult to speculate otherwise, can't be too careful with words theses days I suppose. Apologies if sounds like speculation, but not sure why people would come here moaning about speculation, I guess you get them all ai.. 🙂
Userlevel 1
Badge
@pwt.. for you're benefit? .. 😃 & possibly others
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Cool -- thanks for clarifying, and for the pictures.
Badge +1
I must say I have just purchased a pair of these stands and they are not fit for purpose why make such a sturdy heavy stand that allows the speaker to so easily tip off the top it’s ludicrous, they don’t fit snug at all. Did a child design them what a waste of my time now got to pack up and return to the shop. I read reviews before purchasing and nowhere did it mention this design flaw very disappointed
Userlevel 1
Badge
I must say I have just purchased a pair of these stands and they are not fit for purpose why make such a sturdy heavy stand that allows the speaker to so easily tip off the top it’s ludicrous, they don’t fit snug at all. Did a child design them what a waste of my time now got to pack up and return to the shop. I read reviews before purchasing and nowhere did it mention this design flaw very disappointed

Yeah..

I know it's quite a BIG FAIL all things considered.. Design should have gone above and beyond any standard requirements and considered the practical use of these stands rather than just tick boxes to meet design and certification requirements; BIG DISAPPOINTMENT considering the spend, saying that Sanus/Flexon can only work within the design of the sonos product and I'm sure if the screw fitting was moved to the bottom rather use the old chassis (cost saving?) Sanus/Flexson would have designed accordingly. I have heard back from Flexson , their version of the stands should have been GA available after 22nd of Dec , my closed Richer Sounds shoukd have stock , i need to call them @the number I was given and make sure they have one one display .. will see if their ones holds it more snuggly as it actually holds the whole base looking at technical document

(Designed by child 🙂 .. seems that way or it was just rushed and then we have to fork out again gen.2 if they ever re-design what world we live in - trial by error)
Userlevel 1
Badge
I'm glad I ain't the only one experiencing or seeing this as it is..
Badge +1
I’m part of the Sonos community on Facebook and one of the members has just bought the same stands that came with an extra bracket that secured the play 1, need to get Sanus to send us these brackets, picture attached
Userlevel 1
Badge
@thejam

I think the play 1's are fine the are the gen.1 non Alexa speakers going by the picture it appears Play 1 ... My issue is with confusingly named NEW "Play ONE'S" with Alexa built in.. they don't have the back screw... Looks like you're fine then there.. and I'm the only thus far then :-0 😞 (y)
Userlevel 1
Badge
:?...
Hi there! Did you have a chance to look at the Flexson one @satyp? I've in the market for a pair of stands and came across this thread while researching. I know both Sanus and Flexson don't have any sort of locking mechanism, but the Flexson version seemed to have a bigger base for the Sonos One to sit on, and a bigger (potentially) sturdier base for the entire stand. Even though the Flexson one is a bit pricier, I just placed an order for them. I just want to figure out if the price is justified though 😛
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi there! Did you have a chance to look at the Flexson one @satyp? I've in the market for a pair of stands and came across this thread while researching. I know both Sanus and Flexson don't have any sort of locking mechanism, but the Flexson version seemed to have a bigger base for the Sonos One to sit on, and a bigger (potentially) sturdier base for the entire stand. Even though the Flexson one is a bit pricier, I just placed an order for them. I just want to figure out if the price is justified though :P

Hi there! Did you have a chance to look at the Flexson one @satyp? I've in the market for a pair of stands and came across this thread while researching. I know both Sanus and Flexson don't have any sort of locking mechanism, but the Flexson version seemed to have a bigger base for the Sonos One to sit on, and a bigger (potentially) sturdier base for the entire stand. Even though the Flexson one is a bit pricier, I just placed an order for them. I just want to figure out if the price is justified though :P

@shl615 unfortunately not yet, I'm been meaning to hit that to do list, think of it every time I seen 'em,... I will need quite soon before this 100 day Sonos return thing.. love the speakers so far and totally agree with Flexson bigger base + price point but hell if they even 20% more prone to getting knocked off I'm thinking the investment is worth it.. I just hope they don't release any generation 2 version of the stands any time soon as they could be PITA to sell ?

I will update here if I can get there , hopefully in the next few weeks ;

Let us know how the Flexson's generally rate on a finger push etc.. I really do hope they work out a great deal better at such a premium price point ?

@shl615 unfortunately not yet, I'm been meaning to hit that to do list, think of it every time I seen 'em,... I will need quite soon before this 100 day Sonos return thing.. love the speakers so far and totally agree with Flexson bigger base + price point but hell if they even 20% more prone to getting knocked off I'm thinking the investment is worth it.. I just hope they don't release any generation 2 version of the stands any time soon as they could be PITA to sell ?

Let us know how the Flexson's generally rate on a finger push etc.. I really do hope they work out a great deal better at such a premium price point ?

I haven't seen the Sanus ones in person yet, so I wouldn't be able to compare 😞 Do the speakers seem like they would fall off easily on the Sanus stand?
Userlevel 1
Badge

I haven't seen the Sanus ones in person yet, so I wouldn't be able to compare 😞 Do the speakers seem like they would fall off easily on the Sanus stand?

oh ok sure, no worries/probs.. there is an attachment on an earlier post on here not sure if helps indicate how easy it is, using just a finger push with barely any force to show how easily it topples, if there was any sort of grip, I would expect the heavy base or the bar to move a tad before the speaker does, they literally just elevate the speakers with not a great deal security against accidental push or nudges. For instance when hoovering etc if you weren't mindful of the speaker.

Sonos say the speaker cable at the bottom is a tight fit, which it is, and can stop it from falling all the way to the floor possibly but not from toppling off the base and getting damaged in the process. You can see the base in the picture. hope it helps.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Just attaching a PUSH TEST picture comparing Flexson vs Sanus Floor stands as there is a noticeable difference in the design effort.

I also hope the sales team can add the Flexson stands as a recommended buy with the one's now that they are on limited time£50 off offer 🙂
Nice! Thanks for the pictures. I've been so happy with my Flexson stands that Sanus wasn't in the running for me, and I'm glad to know it will be worth the wait. Of course, I'd have to replace two pairs of PLAY:1s in order to do so, but with the current sale......
Userlevel 1
Badge
I would have gone for the Flexson's to begin with as I had a pair of those for the Play 1's too before I sold those with the speakers, those were and these are also the right height I think as the Sanus are way taller sitting on the sofas.. although the Flexson One stands seem a tad lighter than the Play 1 stands
Interesting. I'm not looking for lightness in my stands, I want them heavy and stable. But I guess the stability might be the shape of the base, rather than the weight. So as long as they're more stable, it probably saves them a bit on shipping charges.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Interesting. I'm not looking for lightness in my stands, I want them heavy and stable. But I guess the stability might be the shape of the base, rather than the weight. So as long as they're more stable, it probably saves them a bit on shipping charges.

Definitely more Stability for me without doubt... I'm in process of RMA the Sanus stands before the 100 day times out!.. ;-)

Sonos price cuts can be few and far between.. have you ordered the play one's yet?... Family love 'em ...I did wait Jan for a deal but luck could have saved £150 I guess which would have covered the slightly pricier Flexson stands :-0

All the best.
I've got one in the bathroom, but having a hard time justifying another pair that would replace current PLAY:1s
Suggestion as a solution to Sanus stands stability issue ( for those that have them or don't want to pay premium for Flexson), is to place a couple of small pieces of "museum" (mounting) putty between stand and Sonos One. Provided both surfaces are clean (wipe with alcohol or other non-residual cleaner first) the stand should past the tilt test (just as the Flexson stand did in the photo). Mounting putty is surprising strong, and (from experience with other speakers) would also afford an improvement in the sound by coupling the speaker to the stand. It is worth a try and putty is available at most home improvement centers (in the earthquake solutions section in California):D
Userlevel 1
Badge
Suggestion as a solution to Sanus stands stability issue ( for those that have them or don't want to pay premium for Flexson), is to place a couple of small pieces of "museum" (mounting) putty between stand and Sonos One. Provided both surfaces are clean (wipe with alcohol or other non-residual cleaner first) the stand should past the tilt test (just as the Flexson stand did in the photo). Mounting putty is surprising strong, and (from experience with other speakers) would also afford an improvement in the sound by coupling the speaker to the stand. It is worth a try and putty is available at most home improvement centers (in the earthquake solutions section in California):D

Yep, it's exactly what I thought and actually thickened the base grip tape high grip sicilone tape.. wasn't as elegant for when you wanted to remove it if all.. then I learnt the Flexson's were only £30 more and £20 if you got £10 off + much more elegant , no brainer in the end 😉
Badge
I just received my new Sonos One speakers and two Sanus WSS21/WSS22 speaker stands. There is no option to securely mount the speakers to the stands. The speakers can easily fall off the stands. These stands appear to be compatible with Play 3 speakers because there is a place for a mounting screw in the bracket and the speaker.

I like the appearance of the stands but this is an unacceptable way to mount my new speakers. I am very disappointed that Sonos would sell this product as being compatible with Sonos One speakers. Sonos should quit selling these stands as being compatible with the Sonos One until Sonos and Sanus get together and correct this design flaw. I spoke with a Sanus representative today. He was unable to provide an answer as how to deal with this dilemma.