Question

Worst speaker ever

• 17 January 2018
  • 3 replies

Hi guys,

I bought a Play 5 after an audiophile friend of mine advised it to me.
I've been working around it for almost two months to make it work normally. Here are a few issues I'm having so you could help me on that.
1. Cannot configure wifi on it. Here's what I tried:
- Switching my router dedicated to Sonos from 5 ghz to 2.4 ghz
- Tried on two iPads, one iPhone, one Android smartphone and a Macbook. In any of these cases he recognizes my network.
- With an Ethernet cable it works but the most weird is that even in the Macbook with the SONOS wifi selected, sound never switches to the speaker and remains on the internal speakers.

2. No way to add my internal Mac music (iTunes) to the Sonos library. Always says my music folder is not available or it cannot find my Mac.

Since I have a Bluetooth turntable, the only way I am able to make it work is using a Bluetooth adapter from Audio Engine, but once again, it's not controllable through the Sonos Controller App. And after all, what the point off spending €500 on a speaker that is supposed to work through Wi-Fi, while it's the only way it doesn't work??

I'm really frustrated with this acquisition and am seriously thinking on selling it. Tried every FAQ, instructions, forums I found on the internet and not one single solution worked out.

Would like someone from Sonos to clarify my doubts and if it could actually be a fabric problem of this specific unit.

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

1) Why do you have a router "dedicated to Sonos"? That would put Sonos on a completely separate subnet and it would not be reachable to your other devices, thus leading to the problems you are seeing.

2) In regards to your Macbook, Sonos are not computer speakers. They play music via the Sonos controller apps for iOS, Android, PC, and Mac and some music service apps like Pandora and Spotify. They are not made to play every sound coming out of your computer.

3) I'm not sure how you expect an external manual device like a turntable could be "controllable through the Sonos Controller App". You switch to the analog Line-in source on the app and any connected analog source will be heard on the Sonos speaker. But there is no way the TT or the Bluetooth device can be controlled via an analog audio connection. It certainly cannot put a record on or lower the needle, which is all you really need to do to get it playing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Since you seem pretty frustrated and have multiple issues. I would call Sonos on the phone so they can clear up each and every issue. They can easily fix everything (well except for controlling Bluetooth in the app - this isn't a Bluetooth speaker).
Or get said friend in to do the needful - friend in need and all that...