Worst most complicated piece you'll ever buy. Avoid at ALL costs

Userlevel 2
Don't Buy. Never been able to get it working properly. You can't even make it useful by plugging in your iPhone into it with a 3.5mm to 3.5mm lead. Its not plug and play which is basic for most systems.....You have to tell it to do that function with the controller.....Absolute S**T

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

126 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Question: Sonos does the Insided board not have some functionality to lock threads after 6 months of inactivity? It would eliminate this sort of unhelpful necromancy.

Gilbey69: With almost 100% certainty, the answer is your home wireless interference. There's plenty of helpful threads you can find here discussing the actual issue you have in great detail, and you won't even have to go back years to find them.
Sigh.
I agree this system is rubbish..how come I can steam seamlessly on my pad wirelessly and Alexa has no problem streaming any music from ANYWHERE..never stops starts then stops like Sonos
Badge
You just said you had problems instslling the first time
Change your network name on your router and try your fantastic sonos
Let see how long it takes you to reset your magical sonos system

The wifi setup needs to be refactoredall together
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
ASUS 3200, I have range extenders all over the house, SONOS wifi setup sucks its poor development

... or you can continue to be self-righteous, assume everything you do is perfect, and continue to fight with, or sell, your Sonos products.

Given the thousands of satisfied customers... I think you'd be better off submitting a diagnostic to Sonos and calling them. But feel free to continue to complain if you prefer... Your life is your own. 🆒
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
I have a house full of Sonos speakers and I would never buy anything else! I had a few set up issues at first but with the help of this community I have a rock sold system all the time. My whole family loves it!
Badge
ASUS 3200, I have range extenders all over the house, SONOS wifi setup sucks its poor development
Badge
Everything else works on my wifi its just sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
User problem seems above. Hook one sonos unit to your router before you want to make changes then make changes and go to sonos settings...advanced and change your wifi credentials. Of course always having one unit hooked to your router all the time is always good for using Sonosnet vs. relying on home wifi for music.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
YEs its WIFI is CRAP--every time I change router settings its always hell to make the sonos speakers work on wifi again
I have been trying for f___ng 5 hours now sometime one speaker registers then it cant see the wifi anymore, cant add second speaker I hate this

To strongly disagree with you... this is a challenge associated with your environment, not with Sonos. The Sonos products do a great job of managing wireless connectivity in light of what they are doing. Many other wifi products have far less demand for quality wifi and can handle heavy noise and latency because their data movement isn't as time sensitive as music/TV audio demands.

I suggest you call Sonos Staff help line directly and they will take the time to help you. No need to fight with systems randomly.

Additionally there are lots of people in this community that will also help you out if you post the specifics of your environment and challenges. (I highly suggest you do so in a new thread and not within this one so people can help with your specific issue. Sonos staff also frequent this board and can chime in.)
Badge
YEs its WIFI is CRAP--every time I change router settings its always hell to make the sonos speakers work on wifi again
I have been trying for f___ng 5 hours now sometime one speaker registers then it cant see the wifi anymore, cant add second speaker I hate this
@leplla. I did not question your bad experience. Just pointed our that that was untypical. If you believe I am lying about the many people I know who love Sonos then that is your right.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi leplla, we're happy to help if you'd like a hand. It looks like the last time we spoke to you under this email address was around the end of October, 2014. If you're having connection trouble we can assist here, though we'll need some more specifics about what's happening currently.

If you'd like, I can also setup a new incident for you to work with a technician live. It's always quickest to work over the phone to resolve any troubles. Would feel free to reply here and let us know what you're seeing. The most useful information for connection trouble is what Sonos components you have and how you're trying to connect them to the network.

I'd recommend trying things out wired in to start with, making sure you use a known good network cable. When you plug it in, check that you see connection lights on both sides of the cable, at the player and at the port for the router.

There's some really useful tips here too, and a guided assistance if you'd like.
Junk... has never, ever worked. Literally packed up and wrote it off. I have fiber connection and a tiny studio. Never connects, can't even find library. Even their "technicians" (joke)... can't figure it out so I'm left with plastic to try and sell on Ebay. Don't belive for minute it works. Junk scam crap... horrible!
Sonos sells over $1 billion worth of gear every year. They have millions of customers and all but a tiny handful have a flawless experience, me and at least twenty friends, family and colleagues included.
Total crap. Never worked, never connected, dropped when connected, could not find music library, etc.... Wrote over a dozen complaints and had one phone conversation with arrogant European/UK technician. He could not get it to work. I live in a 26sqm studio with Play 5 on top of the router!!! Put it in storage. Just took it out one year later: doesn't work AT ALL. Can not find system no matter what. Horrible scam, total waste of money. DO NOT BUY.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hey guys, thanks for all the great words of support and encouragement here for the product. As with anything there can be problems and we're here to help. The majority of problems tends to be related to something environmental or on the network that can be resolved with a bit of troubleshooting and diagnostics.

If you do come to this thread because you've had problems or are running into any issue with your Sonos system please let us know. We want to help you fix it. Our support team is available here on the community, and you can also reach us via email or call us on the phone. Our support line information is posted here for your region: http://www.sonos.com/contact We can help.

I had an experience that, while a bit uncomfortable for me, speaks for customer satisfaction.

While walking through a train station near rush hour, carrying an unwrapped SONOS box, a total stranger recognized the package and stopped me, bubbling with enthusiasm, to tell me how much I would enjoy the product.

This is a great story Buzz! Thanks for sharing. I love hearing this sort of story. I live in the city where Sonos was founded, and it's always amazing seeing how many stores are using Sonos for their music system. I can't help asking them how they like it and that always turned into a great discussion.
I am new to the Sonos world but before I shelled out the bucks for a 1, 3 & 5, I researched it thoroughly. I've spent big bucks on Bluetooth devices that sounded like crap. We had an iHome wireless speaker that we never could get to connect. The Sonos system has been trouble-free, the streaming services are top-notch. The line in on the Play 5 is useful, though with all the other choices we have, we rarely tap our CD collection anymore. I wonder how many of the trolls who resort to profanity to slander others in community boards such as this are actually misguided employees from competitor companies? I just shake my head and move on....

I also wonder if many of the problems some have is related more to their cable providers, wifi routers, etc.
Userlevel 1
Mine works fine☺
Sonos is a failing system, undoubtedly. consumers want easy use products that work seamlessness, immediately and without fault. Products should be easy to install and work immediately - that is what they demand. Good products do not have counts threads of millions of consumers moaning about how rubbish it is, ergo Sonos is rubbish, always needing tweaking and full of errors................I do not think it will survive - do not buy it!

Buy an FM radio.
Badge
I'm guessing Ray has other issues besides getting two speakers to work.

Yes I have Dave, issues that two sessions with the "engineers" over the phone couldn't fix. As the twat before suggests I am not very technical, but why should you need to be to play your music? Over complicated crap .... sorry.

The issue isn't because you're not very technical.
The issue is that you're an excellent example of a colostomy bag with ears.
Badge
Worked for about 1 month direct from an iphone (only way I have got it to work recently) - now that has stopped too.

Credit to Sonos for keeping this thread open and letting people hear real life experience of how rubbish their product is - or maybe they just don't care?

I guess if you spend enough on marketing it drowns out poor product to some extent.

There can only be one reason why hundreds of people have systems that work and work well.
Must be that they're not as smart as you.
Badge
yeah, after using it for 2 years with 3 speakers and being confined to the Sonos platform (can't even stream video sound through Sonos, and importing your own music library is hit or miss - I've given up), and seeing "Sonos was unable to connect" every 5 minutes or so, I can now honestly say that THIS SYSTEM IS AN OVERPRICED PIECE OF SHIT! Which is a shame, it could have so much potential, but hey. The market will decide, my bet is that they won't be around for more than 2 years or so and then slowly fade into the black hole of useless tech crap. Adios.
Funny how hundreds of other people were able to get their systems to work just fine.
But let me guess....it's because they're not as smart as you.
Userlevel 1
How much do you want for your system?
Bishoptonbubble,

I had an experience that, while a bit uncomfortable for me, speaks for customer satisfaction.

While walking through a train station near rush hour, carrying an unwrapped SONOS box, a total stranger recognized the package and stopped me, bubbling with enthusiasm, to tell me how much I would enjoy the product.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Flawless performance. Amazing sound. Perfect audio sync. Op expends the energy to complain but never once considers calling tech support. Sonos tech support is the best - they're all network experts. One call and it could all be fixed. But it's more fun to post drivel.