Wireless speaker (with battery)

• Contributor I
  • 0 replies
I'm looking for a wireless speaker without power cable and with integrated battery, mainly for outdoor usage.
In the past (August 2014) I have asked this question through Sonos technical support and they answered that Sonos planned to release a portable model with battery, expected launch in 2016.
However, I still can't seem to find such a model in the available products.

Anyone who has more information on this topic?
Otherwise, I am obliged to purchase a product from competitors, who do have this in their product range.
E.g. Bose SoundLink Revolve - https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/speakers/wireless_speakers/soundlink_revolve.html

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

There was never anything officially announced but there have been suggestions that Sonos started such a development but abandoned it. Whether that is true or not, there is nothing to suggest that Sonos have any plans to produce such a speaker.
I am looking for the same thing. Had I know this didn't exist when I purchased my system, I would have gone with Bose.

Please Sonos, develop and release a truly portable speaker.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the bose speaker mentioned above basically a Bluetooth speaker? Meaning that it is not designed for use in connection to a multi-zone system? I don't see why the lack of a sonos stand alone portable bluetooth speaker means your sonos system purchase was a mistake somehow.
As of now there are portable, weatherproof bluetooth wireless speakers and there are wireless speakers like Sonos that use Wifi and do multi zone.

There aren't any that do both equally well; although the BT type can be used in the home as well, if their features aren't a constraint for the kind of use being considered.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the bose speaker mentioned above basically a Bluetooth speaker? Meaning that it is not designed for use in connection to a multi-zone system? I don't see why the lack of a sonos stand alone portable bluetooth speaker means your sonos system purchase was a mistake somehow.
You are correct. I think the original poster had a reasonable ask, but the next guy veered a little off course.

Kumar's right that isn't much out there for wireless and battery powered. I know of Libratone which a lot of people seem to like, but that's all I'm remembering at the moment.
Userlevel 2
Badge
It wouldn't be Sonos and not in time / tune with the system. But I know of people using the Sonos Connect to tie in with bluetooth headphones.

Has the advantage of using the Sonos selection software for your music. But Sonos is WiFi or network cable dependent so it's probably just as easy to carry a play 1 outside and run an extension lead to it.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
http://www.bluesound.com/en-gb/products/pulse-flex/?cl
http://www.bluesound.com/en-gb/products/bp100-battery-pack/

A competitor has done it very neatly, I guess if we had something similar for the Play1/One it would need to go on the base.
Just a battery pack won't suffice; the blue sound also has bluetooth so it can work outside WiFi range. And until now, the latter is anathema to Sonos.
Hi was looking into Sonos speakers and wasn't sure if Sonos One has a built in battery, but I guess it doesn't
the alternative I'm evaluating is Libratone Zipp
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi Al404, It depends on your criteria, I have tried many ways of getting music to follow me round the house, be available at the flick of a screen or click of a mouse. and sound incredibly good while doing it... Have to say I am much more interested in playing MY collection of music than any internet stream. but with internet as an occasional extra.

So my decision process was :-

1 SOUND, don't care how easy it is to use, if the sound isn't to my taste I don't want it.
2 Source, where can I play music from, I have no interest in playing from Bluetooth I want music on my server to come to my speakers
3 Control, While I am a geek, my wife isn't so the software needs to be simple and usable. I have seen several systems where the geek in the family has it cracked, but others can't get the right music to the right speaker.
4 Reliability, I have 48 days playtime quantity of music on my system, when I allowed iTunes access to it odd tracks went walk about at random intervals and of course went unnoticed until it popped into my head to play x album and it had been moved, or deleted and was no longer in the backup stream either... Sonos leaves my files alone!

5 Price / Value not an easy one to answer this... Sonos is not a cheap system, I think my setup is around £4000 though I prefer not to think about that! but value is good.

Portability... got music through the house once or twice a year I want it in the garden. for a party, well small parties its just a case of unplugging the Sonos 1 from the bedroom and taking it outside and plugging into an extension lead. larger parties I would probably take the 2 play 3's from the study instead.

Really wouldn't want a battery powered system while hosting a party anyway.

So what I am saying is... Sonos don't do battery, if that is in your must have list then look elsewhere, but mix and match of different systems never goes well so choose one and apply your criteria list to it while testing.

Pete

So what I am saying is... Sonos don't do battery, if that is in your must have list then look elsewhere, but mix and match of different systems never goes well so choose one and apply your criteria list to it while testing.

I have to say that mix and match works brilliantly for me with streaming services available, that work very well with music saved for offline use on the phone serving as a source both in the car and for portable weatherproof bluetooth speakers on the road/at the beach etc,.

At home, Sonos does the job very well. Even there my server that has about 20,000 music tracks on it is used a lot less these days, with active subscriptions to Apple/Google that serve better most of the time.
Userlevel 2
Badge

I have to say that mix and match works brilliantly for me with streaming services available, that work very well with music saved for offline use on the phone serving as a source both in the car and for portable weatherproof bluetooth speakers on the road/at the beach etc,.

I have WiFi access on my car and on my phone / tablet and do synchronize some stuff to a USB in the car when it is parked on the drive, and I think in the third drawer down in the kitchen there is one of those £10 bluetooth speakers for the phone. but I wouldn't consider it part of my home setup.

I guess if online music fits your requirement it sort of opens doors to a mix and match setup. but say in the case of a house party that overflows into the garden you will want the same synchronized music throughout at appropriate volumes obviously. Sonos in the lounge and bluetooth in the garden isn't going to work as well. Also went to a party where the music was driven through a great system from the hosts phone, but it was a bit annoying that the music stopped each time the phone rang...

I think the main point of my post was you need a checklist of your must have, would like to have, and don't need requirements then choose the music system that fits your needs.
Riva Audio - Riva Arena: https://rivaaudio.com/riva-arena/

Roughly same size as Sonos One. Has optional (not cheap though) battery pack. Airplay / Chromecast....Loads of connection options, including bluetooth. Operates on 2.4 & 5ghz.

Sound is of course subjective and personal - but I prefer it to Sonos. Aesthetics - I prefer Sonos, but it's a speaker so sound wins.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUgMmavZXdg