Question

Wireless speaker options

Hi all, Just took delivery of a Connect:AMP and absolutely loving the new lease of life my old speakers have been given! I can't seem to find much anywhere on this - and I imagine that is going to be answer - but is it possible to connect any wireless speakers other than the Sonos Play 1/3/5's to the AMP?

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Hi all, Just took delivery of a Connect:AMP and absolutely loving the new lease of life my old speakers have been given! I can't seem to find much anywhere on this - and I imagine that is going to be answer - but is it possible to connect any wireless speakers other than the Sonos Play 1/3/5's to the AMP?

You may like to re-read this because it doesn't make sense. On the one hand you state you've connected your "old speakers" to your new CONNECT:AMP and then you ask if you can ONLY connect Play 1, 3 or 5 to a CONNECT:AMP.

This doesn't make sense
Hi Stuart, My old speakers that have been connected are wired. The Connect:AMP still has wireless connectivity to connect speakers does it not? Or have I completely got the wrong idea with it?
I think you have got completely the wrong idea! But you may still find that Sonos can do what you want to achieve, and maybe more.

The Connect:Amp is specifically designed to work with legacy, passive speakers. The wireless bit is the music being sent to the C:A, which decodes the digital information, amplifies it, and passes it out to your speakers.

The Play:1/3/5 are not merely wireless speakers, but all-in-one speakers and include amplifiers as well as speaker drivers. So if you want music in another room, you buy a Play speaker, add it to your system, (not to the Connect:Amp) and you have a two room system. You can play music in perfect synch on the Play speaker and C:A, or send totally different streams to the two rooms.

Does that help?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Hi Stuart, My old speakers that have been connected are wired. The Connect:AMP still has wireless connectivity to connect speakers does it not? Or have I completely got the wrong idea with it?

Yes you have hold of the wrong end of the stick - See John's post above
Ah that makes sense thanks John! So I can't actually connect anything else other than my existing wired speakers to the Connect:Amp. That's cleared up a lot of confusion!! Still, very happy with the C:A so can't complain!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Well it does give you access to the tens of thousands of Radio stations and catch-up programs via TuneIn and to the streaming services like Apple Music and of course if you have any ripped music on your network.
Ah that makes sense thanks John! So I can't actually connect anything else other than my existing wired speakers to the Connect:Amp. That's cleared up a lot of confusion!!
Has it?! You can have a play 1 for example, play the same music that CA is driving the wired speakers to play, from the same source, at the same time, in perfect sync.
Or, play other music from the same or different sources. But only the Sonos play units can be so connected - wirelessly.
Userlevel 4
Badge +10
You can connect other things to the connect amp - it has line in and out functions like you would find on an old hifi amplifier. However, for speakers, no. Just use it for your old wired speakers. As others have said, a Sonos speaker shouldn't be wired in any way to a Sonos Connect Amp.

Buy a Sonos speaker, plug it into a wall outlet in a different room and set it up. You won't regret it!
Connect:Amp does not have a line-out. It has speaker level outs only. Only the old ZP100 had line outs and speakers outs.
Ah that makes sense thanks John! So I can't actually connect anything else other than my existing wired speakers to the Connect:Amp. That's cleared up a lot of confusion!! Still, very happy with the C:A so can't complain!

I'm sure things are getting mixed up due to terminology. Let's go over this step by step.

"Connect anything else?" - There are many ways to "connect" something to a Sonos device/system:

Connect an analog input source - the Play:5, Connect and Connect:Amp have a line-in which allows you to connect any analog output source (CD player, Bluetooth adapter, iPod, etc). That line-in source can then be played over any and all Sonos devices on the system

Connect another Sonos device: Correct terminology is "add" or "Group". You can add any and all Sonos devices to your current Sonos "system". Once you add that Sonos device, you can play any source, or you can "Group" it with any and all other Sonos devices to play the same source in sync.

Connect other speakers: You cannot connect other speakers to your Sonos system, unless they are passive/powered units attached to a Sonos Connect:Amp or Connect. In other words, Bose multi-room speakers are not compatible with Sonos multi-room speakers, but you can connect a pair of Bose passive speakers to a Sonos Connect:Amp, or a Bose HT system to the analog or digital outputs on a Sonos Connect.
You can connect other things to the connect amp - it has line in and out functions like you would find on an old hifi amplifier. However, for speakers, no. Just use it for your old wired speakers. As others have said, a Sonos speaker shouldn't be wired in any way to a Sonos Connect Amp.

Buy a Sonos speaker, plug it into a wall outlet in a different room and set it up. You won't regret it!

Thanks all, yep all fully understood now 🙂 Next step is to get saving and get more Sonos speakers!

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings