Wireless interference from Buffalo Linkstation

• 26 August 2009
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
I don't know if this is the correct forum, but I feel I should share a recent problem I had with this NAS.

After using a 500 GB Buffalo Linkstation LS-CHLF7B without any problems for a year, 3 weeks ago it started causing disabling wireless interdenrence. The NAS was located immediately next to a wired ZP 120. Once it was moved 1 metre or so away the interference stopped. The system is now working fine. Has anyone else had this problem? Presumably the proximity to the ZP 120 was the critical issue here.

5 replies

What form did the inteference take? Drop outs of music? zones?

I also use Buffalo Linkstations, and occasionally my music suffers from periodic drop outs (perhaps once every month or so). I normally reboot the entire system, but it is a pain...

T
Userlevel 2
Virtually anything could drop out for a while and then come back - breaks in music (NAS or Napster), lost ZP90s (I have 2), no response with zone manangement; and the CR100 and the desktop controller may temporarily dissapear.

I called tech supprt and using the live chat we finally traced it to the Linkstation. Now everything works perfectly.

I had recently updated to Sonosnet 3.0. That may be a coincidence; but then maybe not?
udaypatel,

One possibility is that a physical change has occurred inside of the Linkstation that results in increased RF emissions in the 2.4GHz band.
Userlevel 2
Thnak you buzz.
What kind of physical change may have occured? The device was not knocked, dropped or internally interfered with. Might excess heat be a factor? Originally it was located in a closed environment and used to run hot, now it is no longer in a confined space.
Thnak you buzz.
What kind of physical change may have occured? The device was not knocked, dropped or internally interfered with. Might excess heat be a factor? Originally it was located in a closed environment and used to run hot, now it is no longer in a confined space.

It can be as simple as a wire grounding the unit against its chassis getting loose. It might also be a capacitor that has gone bad, causing some filter to stop working or causing some irregular voltage pattern somewhere in the unit.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings