Question

Will Sonos work with google home?

Userlevel 1
I am thinking about purchasing the new Google home voice recognition product, I understand that Sonos will work with Amazons echo in the near future. Does Sonos have any information regarding google home integration?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

112 replies

@Airgetlam - Also having worked in the software industry for over 15 years, I know that no response to consumer needs is going to lead to a dismal future. I bought into the Sono ecosystem not for the sound (average at best) but for the ease of use and integration into all things music in the home. Spotify, Amazon, TuneIn Radio, etc integration was crucial in my decision to buy. But now, as this thread shows from being over 5 months old, software development for the current product lines seems to be stagnant. There are other threads that ask about 3rd party integrations that are over a year old. I'm not holding my breath for much longer before I jump ship.
The Playbase has been in development for 4 years, voice activation was announced in August of last year. If you think the 4 year development cycle of hardware affects the software development of the last 6 or so months, then you have a lot to learn about CE development. Simply put, there is nothing about releasing the Playbase which would even be a bump in the road for voice control.

Now go ahead and take the cowards way out of your ignorance by calling me a fan boy. That's when I know I win a debate.
@jgatie - What I'm saying is the Playbase was a waste of time and resources for Sonos. It will not sell well and be an utter loss of money for Sonos. Once again, they need to focus resources on understanding why customers first gravitated to using their products. Ease of use and integration. You seem to be one of the type of people that think releasing a new product every year denotes progress. Let me know how well the Playbase does and if it actually moves the needle this year for Sonos.
Badge
I have Chromecast attached to my Play5. I just started a Google Playlist on the Play5 via my Google Home. So far so good. Unfortunately I had to open my Sonos app to group the Play5 with a Play1 in the bathroom. That's just aggravating. The bathroom is a perfect location for a voice controlled device. Google home is not available in Canada yet, but when it is I can see myself getting two more, one to replace the Play1 in the bathroom and one for my living room. How long can Sonos hold off on better integration? I'm getting the feeling that the Sonos home automation integrations will be a chapter in a future release of The Innovator's Dilemma.
How long can Sonos hold off on better integration? I'm getting the feeling that the Sonos home automation integrations will be a chapter in a future release of The Innovator's Dilemma.

Sonos has said they want to be platform agnostic, but I don't think they have actually announced a timeline for Google home support yet have they? Alexa support is promised by end of 17. Possibly 16 months from announcement to delivery. But I'm with you Google home support is something that I would really like to come to Sonos.

For all we know they could be working on Google home support now. Or maybe it will never come. If you want voice control of your Sonos in the near future it seems that Alexa is the only sure thing right now and it still could be many months away from release ( or not)
I am new to this and no technology expert, just a simple family user. We have the Sonos Playbar and 2 Play:1 speakers. As far as I can decipher, the Playbar is compatible with the Google Home, all I need is to install a Chromcast Adio 'puck' (to what to I install it?) in order to use the Google Home voice assistant. Do I get this right?
I have loved our family Sonos setup but 3 of our Sonos 1s are going on ebay having been swapped out for 3 Google Homes. The Play 3 in the kitchen is on borrowed time...really hoping integration comes soon. Inclusion of a aux-in on the 1s and 3s would have headed this off.
Any News?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I would guess any announcement on google home will follow on from successful Alex intergration.
Badge
This conversation began with Google Home, but the scope is much larger now with Google Assistant available on every Android phone. This is a huge miss for Sonos to not provide integration either on par or ahead of Alexa at this point.

If anything, the lack of these integrations will hurt Sonos for people like me who want the speakers for the audio quality. I can already say "Hey Google, play music on my speakers" and with Chromecasts in place, this works perfectly. Sonos' inability to adapt and provide integrations for Google Assistant is preventing people like me from buying their top-tier speakers.

Living in a small house, I want just one Play 5 for both TV and music, but I'm limited to using the audio input for TV. Thus, I need this integration to even make this a viable option without buying multiple more expensive speakers.

* Please come soon—I'm willing to even help develop it at this point 😉 *
One thing is for sure, Alexa they have announced and it will be here 1st quarter 2017, so google home is good year way at best, my guess......
You could always sell Alexa in a years time ;O)

Naw, once they get the coding completed for Echo, its a matter of some number changes before they can get it to work with google home, which should take a week if they really wanted to.

Naw, once they get the coding completed for Echo, its a matter of some number changes before they can get it to work with google home, which should take a week if they really wanted to.

You are correct about the baseline code facilitating easier integration of other assistants, but a week? That's really funny, even if you are not serious. If you are, it's hilarious.