Question

Will Sonos work with google home?

Userlevel 1
I am thinking about purchasing the new Google home voice recognition product, I understand that Sonos will work with Amazons echo in the near future. Does Sonos have any information regarding google home integration?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

112 replies

I would say the Dot is the most logical, it's more cost effective and the speaker on the Echo is rather redundant if used with Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have one original echo. But since then have purchased nothing but Dots. Dots are great for having across whole home to make Alexa a whole home system like Sonos. Once Alexa gets full Sonos control the original echo with speaker won't be particularly needed at all.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
I have one original echo. But since then have purchased nothing but Dots. Dots are great for having across whole home to make Alexa a whole home system like Sonos. Once Alexa gets full Sonos control the original echo with speaker won't be particularly needed at all.

Are you having any problems with your dot? How do you like it? I am interested in it for the integration with sonos but I have been reading mixed reviews. I have been reading the dot doesn't always hear you. Reviews coming from people who have both and one of the tech magazines (don't remember which site) and the consensus is the echo is better.

Kris:)
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have 7 dots and they work great. They hear me very well. The microphones pickup great.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Work well with home automation using Smartthings, hue bulbs and harmony hubs I can voice control most everything in house.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Ok, Thanks. I guess I will go with dots then. I have been waiting for the integration.

Kris 🙂
Was given a playbar and echo for Christmas, but I'm a google guy with home and pixel already. Searching web about sonos-google integration and ended up here. Looks like I will be returning the playbar and echo gifts for an audio setup more compatible with my needs. I initially thought about adding a sonos sub purchase to the gift too, so lack of integration just cost sonos 1200+ in sales related to me. I knew it was trouble as soon as I read sonos was the "Apple of audio."
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
it is what it is. The gifts you got centered on amazon echo and you want Google. So be it but whyncome on here and complain. The echo and sound bar are going to be supported.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Did you go on the Amazon echo board and complainthere for Google support too :D

Sorry I just find it amusing when people come on here to complain that a product doesn't fit their needs Sonos does know they don't fit the needs of every person.
I've been posting here for years, and depending on the agenda of the poster, I've heard that Sonos is in bed with Apple or Google, Apple Music or Google Play Music, iOS or Android, etc., etc. The fact is, Sonos integrates with any company who wishes to integrate with them. Key word being "wishes".

And I too find the effort to sign up for a support forum just to say you are returning something to be either childish taunting, or returner's remorse. Either impetus is rather sad.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
It is about time sonos made an announcement about google home, then we could confidently tell people to wait till end of 2017 and that it will follow Echo integration, which iam sure it will, but we can only speculate about what is in the upcoming private beta.
It is about time sonos made an announcement about google home, then we could confidently tell people to wait till end of 2017 and that it will follow Echo integration, which iam sure it will, but we can only speculate about what is in the upcoming private beta.

You keep telling people you are sure it is coming, but you have zero facts or information to back up that opinion. I thought you were going to stop with these misleading posts? The fact is, at this time, there is no reason to believe Sonos will support Google Home, never mind a reason to be "sure it will".
Was given a playbar and echo for Christmas, but I'm a google guy with home and pixel already. Searching web about sonos-google integration and ended up here. Looks like I will be returning the playbar and echo gifts for an audio setup more compatible with my needs. I initially thought about adding a sonos sub purchase to the gift too, so lack of integration just cost sonos 1200+ in sales related to me. I knew it was trouble as soon as I read sonos was the "Apple of audio."

The Playbar is actually ideal for Google Home integrstion. Just need a ChromeCast in your TV to be able to voicr conttol music and YouTube videos from Google's little "air freshener".
Thanks Chicks, I'll consider that with my air freshener and you keep rolling with your hockey puck hehe. Not trying to start a ruckus here, but yeah I created an account to voice my opinion about disappointment related to compatibility (see I kind of wanted a playbar wahhh), and that the lack of compatibility does affect product purchasing and retention irl.
Thanks Chicks, I'll consider that with my air freshener and you keep rolling with your hockey puck hehe. Not trying to start a ruckus here, but yeah I created an account to voice my opinion about disappointment related to compatibility (see I kind of wanted a playbar wahhh), and that the lack of compatibility does affect product purchasing and retention irl.

I actually have the air freshener, two hockey pucks and an Echo. Just asked Google to play some vocal jazz to the living room TV, works quite well, and sounds great on the Playbar. I can then group the Sonos Connect, and get even better sound via the big QUAD ESLs, or send the sound anywhere else in the house. So, Google Home isn't fully integrated with Sonos yet, but a ChromeCast bridges the gap for now.
Badge
I've had my Google Play for three days. Seriously bummed that I can't control the music on my Sonos. Hopefully that will happen. The convenience factor is just too high to accept lack of integration. Sonos can do what they want but I'd be inclined to sell my Play 1s for sure and maybe my Play 5s if integration doesn't come along. Sonos might have better sound quality but you just can't beat being able to tell the device to play a specific song or play list.
I've had my Google Play for three days. Seriously bummed that I can't control the music on my Sonos. Hopefully that will happen. The convenience factor is just too high to accept lack of integration. Sonos can do what they want but I'd be inclined to sell my Play 1s for sure and maybe my Play 5s if integration doesn't come along. Sonos might have better sound quality but you just can't beat being able to tell the device to play a specific song or play list.

Chromecast Audio into your Play:5 will give you voice control and great sound. Just tell the air freshener to play to the Chromecast.
Badge
I already tell Google Home to cast to my TV and my Play 5. I have Chromecast attached to both of those. Unfortunately I have Play 5 X2 and Play 1 X2 as well as home theater set up. I can't hook up Chromecast to the Play1s. I could just replace the Play1s with Google Home devices for not quite half the price of the Play1s.

That being said I posted to Sonos Facebook and received a response that I'm going to interpret as positive.

"Sonos Hi John, thanks for the well wishes, and same back at you. We generally don't share details about what's coming for the future, so we can't offer any specifics about Google Home, but we're happy to pass the suggestion on to the team for you. We recently announced some plans for closer integration with voice control with Alexa and other home automation devices too. You can read that here if you haven't seen the news: http://bit.ly/2hHBqSe

We're excited for the future and have some great plans for 2017. Stay tuned as things develop."

Sounds to me like Sonos might be getting the message. I'll remain positive for now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos has said that all along. Echo support is coming but there has been no hint regarding Google and that response is the same one you would see from Sonos for months now. Nothing additional to read into it.
OK so I spent the weekend hacking and finally got a sonos volume controller for google home working on my local system, find the installation guide here - sorry if its a bit dense: https://github.com/ZachNagengast/SoCoGa.

Saying "Hey Google, turn the volume to 50" initiates an IFTTT applet to create a file in dropbox called "volume.50.txt" which I then setup a python script on a raspberry pi to check every 3 seconds for new files in the dropbox, then parses out the volume number and sets the sonos volume using https://github.com/SoCo/SoCo.

I'm not the best python developer out there and I only have volume working for now, so if anyone has anything they'd like to add feel free to fork, pull request, etc. It should be pretty easy to build out other commands like night mode, mute, and room specific commands too. Anyway it should work as a workaround until we get some officially supported functionality.

Cheers, Zach
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Multi room speaker purchase is a commitment. I totally understand how important Google Home support is for some people. I have an Echo Dot and 2 GH. My family likes the accuracy of the GH better and we are Prime users. Right now Sonos is crushing the competition with their integrations and these require coding not the design and manufacture of new speakers thus Google Home support only adds to the allure of the platform.
Are there any updates on the availability of Google Home support for Sonos? I'm dumbfounded that a new playbar type product is released and no focus is given to home automation integration for current Sonos products.
There's quite a bit of focus being given as we speak to preparing the entire Sonos line to be part of the home automation integration system. They happen to be working on the Amazon Alexa/Echo line, but have expressed a desire to work with other home automation systems as quickly as possible. There's quite a bit of discussion on these boards and in press releases and blogger articles about this work, perhaps a little googling would benefit your desires, WolfpackFanCLT.
@Airgetlam - Unfortunately lots of talk and little action on the development side. Creating another speaker to replace an already existing product that won't save the company isn't good business. Googling to get more unspecified development information is no help. But appreciate your fanboy response regardless. Provide product support to the people that have already invested in the Sonos line so that word of mouth can continue to flourish. At this point, I don't know if I would recommend the Sonos line to others when so many other products already integrate into many main home automation products. (i.e. Google Home, Alexa, etc.)
I'm basing my statements off of 25 years of software development in games, but I've never worked in the speaker industry, nor do I have any particular knowledge of the inside workings of Sonos, other than what they've posted here. If you have any concrete insight into their development workings, I'd certainly be interested in what you have to share.