Question

Will Sonos work with google home?

Userlevel 1
I am thinking about purchasing the new Google home voice recognition product, I understand that Sonos will work with Amazons echo in the near future. Does Sonos have any information regarding google home integration?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

112 replies

For whatever it's worth -- I have 3 Play 5s and 3 play 1s and would likely buy more for the house throughout 2017 but instead I'm selling all of them on Craigslist and moving to Chromecast audio and a bunch of active bookshelf speakers. This is literally because Sonos are not being public and definitive about their commitment to Google Home. I shouldn't have to wait around guessing for this integration: either they are committed to it or they aren't, and if they aren't I don't want to be using a closed proprietary system anyway. If they are, I would expect this as a software update when Google Home starts shipping in Nov.

Yes, I know I can use Chromecast audio with my Play 5 but I'm just moving on past Sonos as this point and I know many of my friends are saying similar things.
Userlevel 1
Thats excellent but you need to get on the Google Home bandwagon quick because I and others never had any interest in an Amazon Echo but I've already preordered 2 google Home devices. My sonos is connected to numerous zones indoors and out with much higher quality speakers than Google Home will have but if I can untether from my device and use voice I will default to the Google devices quickly I would guess. Their search logic is just off the charts better than anything else and if you are using voice you just want it to work. I am probably one of the original 1% of Sonos purchasers and I have sold MANY people on your products. Please don't render all of that useless by not getting on board with Google Home immediately.
Userlevel 1
I think it's coming. I just picked up a Google Home yesterday and was messing around with the IFTTT integration with Google Assistant. I have a Lutron Caseta light system which integrates Sonos so I set up an IFTTT trigger in Google Assistant set to "play Kitchen Sonos" and got this error. "This phrase is reserved by the Google Assistsnt. Please rephrase".
Userlevel 1
Please please, sonos, support integration with Google Home. This will help me remove my finger from the pause button from buying additional Sonos products. I cannot stand Alexa. I want choices.
I think Sonos need to get a move on and make some announcements. As someone else said above; I'm very much Sonos at the moment, but I am starting to wonder why and am certainly not investing in extra kit in the immediate future. I could just make the leap now and go google home throughout my home and sell my Sonos kit on ebay to pay for it and pretty much get what I want i.e. the ability to play music in every room via voice control - and of course have extra benefits.

If Sonos are not quick and give us some proper feedback of their intentions and timescales in this area then they're going to lose out on market here as Google and Amazon steal the home audio sector.

Announcement? Intentions? Timescales? Amazon? Ask and you shall receive:

http://press-us.sonos.com/134980-sonos-with-partners-and-industry-leaders-ushers-in-new-era-of-connected-home-listening
Userlevel 1
I imagine, for example, Google Home being able to alert me via my Sonos speakres that my 8:00 appointment is approaching, the traffic conditions -- and my ability to say "reschedule," or "push it for 30 minutes," etc. Alexa doesn't have the smartness to handle something like that. And, as a consumer, Sonos has to be proactive at making it possible for me to decide which products I want to use with my speakres otherwise my mind will always be looking for the competitor that provides or will provide similar experiences. I am only loyal to a company if I see an effort to satisfy customers, not just boastful about being market dominant. I have left several companies that provided me with their services because they never create the conditions for me to become loyal to them -- so it became for me, which one will do X Y and Z.

I am with Sonos now, but I will not be purchasing additional speakrs for at least the next two three years to see what disruption will occur in the industry. And, I am grateful for Ebay in case I will need to make that switch.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I wish I could edit my typos but n my phone.
I have loved our family Sonos setup but 3 of our Sonos 1s are going on ebay having been swapped out for 3 Google Homes. The Play 3 in the kitchen is on borrowed time...really hoping integration comes soon. Inclusion of a aux-in on the 1s and 3s would have headed this off.
I know you are asking about direct support but a Chromecast Audio is only $30-35 and can be used as an input on Play 5 today (I use this already). Therefore, Google Home control is easy to add, assuming your setup includes a Play 5 . Plus, Sonos already supports casting directly from Android devices. It seems like Google Home might be able to exploit this capability as an avenue to provide support pretty soon, if not immediately.

I ordered Google Home because I believe their device will be much smarter than the Amazon version. I also use the Google applications already, so that is a big plus too.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos seems to be the speaker of choice right now when it comes to whole home integration. Devices like Smartthings have had Sonos integration before even Samsung speakers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
My guess is they will want to work with home but that integration with home will have to come later.... we don't know a lot yet about how developers are going to be able to work with home.

I would assume a lot of what they learn with echo integration will work the same with home integration so future home integration won't be a long way behind echo. I would say if we expect echo by first quarter next year maybe home by 3rd quarter. I guess depends on size of their team if they have ability to work on both simultaneously. Then what about Apple HomeKit. I would think if your doing the voice thing you would want to work with alexa, Google, and Siri.

I debated canceling my order for addition dots because home seems to be more fluid in its ability to recognize speech. But decided alexa was already doing all I need from it, will be first with Sonos support, and the dots are cheaper then the others (as with Sonos I don't need the speaker part).

With my smartthings I can already play and pause my Sonos speakers so I'm sure home will do that out the gate with my Smartthings hub in middle. with home I would have been able control my play:5 in kitchen that has chrimecast dongle I would assume
Userlevel 1
I had Alexa and I promptly returned it. I got frustrated that it was not smart enough for many routine request that were so finely implemented with "google Now" on my phone. So, I decided that I would wait for Google Home.
Badge
I think Sonos need to get a move on and make some announcements. As someone else said above; I'm very much Sonos at the moment, but I am starting to wonder why and am certainly not investing in extra kit in the immediate future. I could just make the leap now and go google home throughout my home and sell my Sonos kit on ebay to pay for it and pretty much get what I want i.e. the ability to play music in every room via voice control - and of course have extra benefits.

If Sonos are not quick and give us some proper feedback of their intentions and timescales in this area then they're going to lose out on market here as Google and Amazon steal the home audio sector.
I imagine if and when Sonos decides to integrate with other voice control systems, they will announce it. Right now all you can be sure of is Alexa integration.

PS - As to "me" having to do anything about "my" products, I don't work for Sonos. Sonos employees are marked as such.
Userlevel 1
I don't want to discount Apple. My home is all Apple MacBooks, iPads, iPods, and iPhones. Oh yeah, and one Apple TV. However, Googles voice recognition on their app is so many light years ahead of Siri, which literally gets every single thing I ask it wrong, where Google gets the same spoken words exactly right almost every time makes the voice assistant device closer to really functional in the near term.
Badge

Announcement? Intentions? Timescales? Amazon? Ask and you shall receive:

http://press-us.sonos.com/134980-sonos-with-partners-and-industry-leaders-ushers-in-new-era-of-connected-home-listening

Yes, i'd seen that ... how long is soon though?

That was posted 2 months ago and alexa and google home are both available and already allow you to voice control music. Some specifics are required before people start drifting off to them or as first time users wondering why they should go sonos at all, leaving less in sonos's coffers for future development.

I know it's early days for both, but no confirmation on it being worked on for google home and no specific dates for Alexa is not very heartening. I imagine if they're creating an SDK / API then if it's done for amazon, then it's easy enough to implement for google; but what are their incentive as their product does it by using their subscription models - lnking to sonos and music libraries means less income to them.

I think we just need our confidence levels risen in sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
How great would it be to see sonos joining this list next year?
http://www.google.com/cast/audio/
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Well ... I for one just purchased 6 more Dots.

I thought about holding off and waiting to see more about Google Home. Had Google been proactive in working with Sonos and announcing their support of Sonos I would probably have waited.

However, being that Sonos has announced support coming for Alexa specifically .... I went ahead with purchase.

Open source and 3rd party integrations are what help sell their product. Not attempting to support as many protocols to control via voice as possible will mean less groups of consumers wanting to buy your product.

These products are not about keeping people within their ecosystem. If they try that they are going to fail as a whole home voice control.

You can see it in apple homekit. They have been limited in what they support in homekit and it hasn't taken off.
I use a sonos connect to pull in the audio from my tv. I plan on using the google music cast with my connect to push music through out the house with sonos.
Badge
I've read through most of this and have been patiently waited for Echo/GoogleHome to support Sonos.

Today, I'm beginning to wonder what speaker quality the Echo/GoogleHome units have. I mean, I just read an article that talked about Google Home having multi-room music control. I didn't dig too deep. But, it got me to wondering.

Don't get me wrong. For me, my Sonos1 in stereo (bedroom), Sonos 3 (small family room), and Sonos 5 (larger living room) sound tremendous. However, I can't help but want something like Echo/GoogleHome to tie in and work seamlessly with what I have. Yes, the Sonos mobile app is great. Adding Spotify app control of Sonos is cool. I probably won't use it unless I accidently launch the Spotify app and I'm curious. The Sonos app is pretty darn good. However, I did just upgrade to Spotify Family and may have more Spotify users with self-curated playlists that may want to use the Spotify native app on Sonos. We'll see.

My point is, I don't want to trade my Sonos for a bunch of Echo/GoogleHome's in each room.

It's too bad Sonos/AmazonEcho/GoogleHome couldn't reach some announcement back in Oct/Nov. Before the holidays. I suppose Amazon doesn't mind too much since their Echo is sold out until early January. Ha.
If that is your tipping point, your decision is made. Sonos is definitely going to integrate with Echo in the coming year, it would not have announced a partnership if it were not. There is currently no indication whether they are (or are not) going to integrate with Google Home. So if you are looking for a voice control assistant that works with Sonos, your only choice at this time is Echo. As to announcements, even after large splashy press releases (Apple Music, Spotify Direct Control, Echo), Sonos tends to go silent during the internal/private testing phase. Then *poof*, a public beta is announced. With no inside knowledge, I imagine the quiet at this time is probably due to this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have one original echo. But since then have purchased nothing but Dots. Dots are great for having across whole home to make Alexa a whole home system like Sonos. Once Alexa gets full Sonos control the original echo with speaker won't be particularly needed at all.
Was given a playbar and echo for Christmas, but I'm a google guy with home and pixel already. Searching web about sonos-google integration and ended up here. Looks like I will be returning the playbar and echo gifts for an audio setup more compatible with my needs. I initially thought about adding a sonos sub purchase to the gift too, so lack of integration just cost sonos 1200+ in sales related to me. I knew it was trouble as soon as I read sonos was the "Apple of audio."
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
It is about time sonos made an announcement about google home, then we could confidently tell people to wait till end of 2017 and that it will follow Echo integration, which iam sure it will, but we can only speculate about what is in the upcoming private beta.
Badge
I already tell Google Home to cast to my TV and my Play 5. I have Chromecast attached to both of those. Unfortunately I have Play 5 X2 and Play 1 X2 as well as home theater set up. I can't hook up Chromecast to the Play1s. I could just replace the Play1s with Google Home devices for not quite half the price of the Play1s.

That being said I posted to Sonos Facebook and received a response that I'm going to interpret as positive.

"Sonos Hi John, thanks for the well wishes, and same back at you. We generally don't share details about what's coming for the future, so we can't offer any specifics about Google Home, but we're happy to pass the suggestion on to the team for you. We recently announced some plans for closer integration with voice control with Alexa and other home automation devices too. You can read that here if you haven't seen the news: http://bit.ly/2hHBqSe

We're excited for the future and have some great plans for 2017. Stay tuned as things develop."

Sounds to me like Sonos might be getting the message. I'll remain positive for now.