Question

Will Sonos Radio (stations) work utilizing Bluetooth on Sonos Move, or do you need to be connected to wifi?

• 19 May 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Will the new Sonos Radio (stations) work utilizing Bluetooth on Sonos Move (and your phones cellular data), or do you need to be connected to wifi?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

No. The Sonos app is not used at all on the Move when in Bluetooth mode. It is then just a dumb Bluetooth speaker. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

No. The Sonos app is not used at all on the Move when in Bluetooth mode. It is then just a dumb Bluetooth speaker. 

Seriously? That’s stupid. It wouldn’t be hard for them to make the app accessible from cellular data 

The Sonos app isn't even a music player. It is a remote control for the networked system. When connected to wifi the app is NOT getting the music over wifi and playing it. So it isn't stupid, you just have a poor understanding of the way Sonos works.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

The Sonos app isn't even a music player. It is a remote control for the networked system. When connected to wifi the app is NOT getting the music over wifi and playing it. So it isn't stupid, you just have a poor understanding of the way Sonos works.

I do understand… the app is just a ‘middle man’ and all content on the app can be found through the official streaming services that provide them.  But I have added many stations/songs/etc to the actual Sonos app to not have to utilize multiple streaming sources for what I want. (Ex . IHeartRadio for my radio, Apple for certain playlists I created years ago, amazon for newer stuff, pandora for (IMO) the best genre/artist specific and closely knit random playing. 
So the app to me is a ‘one stop shop’ where I have all my sources in one place. 

Sonos radio was just released.  It’s possible that a separate app gets created later to play away from home.  It’s also possible that the licensing agreements they have don’t allow playback on anything other than sonos devices. 

I agree that it would be great to listen to Sonos radio outside of the Sonos app and speakers.  I don’t know why that hasn’t happen and therefore can’t conclude that the reasons why are stupid.