Answered

Will Sonos One with Alexa have an option to be upgraded Google Assistant in future?

• 12 October 2017
  • 18 replies

Will the new Sonos One with Alexa be upgradable via software update to support Google Assistant in the future or will there be a different Sonos One speaker with Google Assistant?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 12 October 2017, 20:09

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

We all believe that it will be part of the Sonos One, yes. No timeline available, though. But Sonos has indicated that they want to work with all services, and have made the microphone array an agnostic thing, rather than integrating just an Amazon device in their speakers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The same Sonos One would be able to use either Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant when that integration is finished and launched. There won't be a different hardware line you'd need to buy.
Any ideas as to when it will be available ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
In our blog post here, we said it'd be in 2018. We haven't shared much while development is ongoing, so stay tuned for more details as we may share more as things progress.
Do you know whether or not you will be able to have one speaker setup with Alexa and another setup with Google Assistant and better yet would you be able to pair them in a stereo pair. That would be ideal. That way I could get rid of my echo dot and Google Mini.
Sonos has made no indication one way or the other whether that would be possible. It seems unlikely to me (even more so for a stereo pair), but who knows. We'll have to wait for them to actually implement it before things like that can be answered.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
As Bruce said, we haven't shared all the details here, we're early into development, so any information now could be subject to change. There are plans and goals, but it's we're not ready to share definitively where we'll land.

Personally, I hope that you'll be able to be able to ask the same Sonos One a question from both Alexa and Google, interchangeably.
Badge
What about being able to control existing Sonos units with Google Assistant?
I already have several Sonos speakers. I also have several Google home speakers and Chromecasts. Right now I cannot control the speakers with GH, but I am for sure expecting a SW update that will do this for the existing Sonos. (Not only Sonos one)
Is that assumption wrong?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
What about being able to control existing Sonos units with Google Assistant?
I already have several Sonos speakers. I also have several Google home speakers and Chromecasts. Right now I cannot control the speakers with GH, but I am for sure expecting a SW update that will do this for the existing Sonos. (Not only Sonos one)
Is that assumption wrong?

I would expect the Google Assistant integration to work the same as Alexa. i.e. Any Google Assistant device will be able to control your Sonos system once the functionality is released for the Sonos One.
Userlevel 1
I like how you said “upgraded” to Google Assistant. It really will be an upgrade. Alexa is rather lacking. Echo ask sonos to release the upgrade soon. My eyes are wandering to the Google Home Max.
Userlevel 1
I hope it happens soon. Google Assistant IMO far surpasses Alexa.:D
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I wouldn't expect it until mid-year (June July) earliest in my opinion.
Userlevel 4
Badge
I'm hoping that you will be able to have the options both of having Alexa and Google Assistant on the same device simultaneously as well as having the option of only enabling one per device, but still linking two Sonos One's together as a stereo pair.

I currently have two Sonos One's linked as a stereo pair, and it is great, but having Alexa enabled on both at the same time gets annoying on occasion. It would be good if one could have Alexa and the other could have Google, and sound output would still go through both as a pair.

Obviously, if you don't have them in a stereo pair this isn't an issue and it is preferable to have both assistants on a single device simultaneously.
I bought a sonos one only after confirming with the sonos representative that google assistant would be available during the beginning of 2018. It is mid of 2018 and there is no hint of any sort that it is coming soon. Now, instead of waving a hand on the release can Sonos say they did not lie on this feature and provide real dates on the ETA? Although I like the audio quality on the Sonos one I would prefer google assistant. I am tired of "I am sorry I didn't get that" response from Alexa. Come on Sonos stick to your principles and make this happen. Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Sonos have not given a date and they never will until it arrives. They did not say the beginning of 2018, that is a lie, read the Sonos press release and it states 2018, not early, begginging, mid or late. Just 2018.

I can understand why they don't give dates as I work in IT and see very few projects deliver to timescales quoted 6 months, or more, previously.

Here is the Sonos Press release CLICKY That states 2018, any other dates are just conjecture and sales personnel lies.
I bought a sonos one only after confirming with the sonos representative that google assistant would be available during the beginning of 2018. It is mid of 2018 and there is no hint of any sort that it is coming soon. Now, instead of waving a hand on the release can Sonos say they did not lie on this feature and provide real dates on the ETA? Although I like the audio quality on the Sonos one I would prefer google assistant. I am tired of "I am sorry I didn't get that" response from Alexa. Come on Sonos stick to your principles and make this happen. Thanks.

If a Sonos representative told you that, they were wrong to do so. Officially, nobody has ever stated "beginning of 2018." It was always "in 2018". Here's the relevant press release:

Sonos One launches with Amazon Alexa on Oct. 24; Google Assistant to follow in 2018

. . .

In 2018, the Google Assistant comes to Sonos One, making it the first and only smart speaker to support multiple major voice services. With the Google Assistant and Sonos, customers will not only have great sound and a beautiful speaker, but a personal assistant that’s ready to help throughout the day: listen to music, ask questions, keep track of the latest news, dim the lights, or hear about what’s next on the to-do list.

. . .

http://press-us.sonos.com/159680-sonos-unveils-smart-speaker-with-support-for-multiple-voice-services
OK, nevertheless it is almost mid of 2018 and no ETA yet. If sonos were able to release is in 2018 as you have said don't you think they should have an ETA already? The GA support should be in some form of alpha or beta form on Sonos one already....don't you think....Anyway besides all these complains I think the hardware and the sound quality is awesome!!! No doubt about that.

Sonos have not given a date and they never will until it arrives. They did not say the beginning of 2018, that is a lie, read the Sonos press release and it states 2018, not early, begginging, mid or late. Just 2018.

I can understand why they don't give dates as I work in IT and see very few projects deliver to timescales quoted 6 months, or more, previously.

Here is the Sonos Press release CLICKY That states 2018, any other dates are just conjecture and sales personnel lies.
Sonos almost never gives an ETA, especially when much of the work is dependent on an outside partner. As to alphas or betas, if they exist they are private, thus anyone participating is under a strict NDA and you will not hear anything about them.