Answered

Will Sonos be releasing a Play 5 with built-in Alexa?

• 30 April 2019
  • 8 replies

The Sonos Play 5 Gen 2 has been around since 2015. Does Sonos plan to release a version with built-in Alexa just like the Sonos One? It would be the perfect speaker if has smart speaker capabilities.
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 30 April 2019, 19:00

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi kamikenze

Yes that would be nice. However, Sonos doesn't share that type of information on product development and/or release until a few weeks before launch. To answer your question directly....nothing has been hinted at such a product being under development by Sonos.

Cheers!
Sonos has made no annoucement to that effect, and generally, is not in the habit make annoucements of that nature till they have a solid release date.

So in terms of speculation, I'm doubtful we'll see a new play:5 this year. I'd bet that the playbar or Connect is the next device due for an upgrade. I'm not sure Sonos has much planned for the Connect though, other than an updated exterior. The playbar may be on hold till more eARC becomes available on a significant number of TVs. I'm not sure the play:5 needs an update as badly though, as you can effectilvely add voice control to the room by adding an echo dot.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for jumping in you two. As they said, we don't comment on future development, but I'll pass along the note that you're looking for a Play:5 with voice.
Badge
Ryan,
Sonos One is an integral part of our lives. I would purchase a Sonos 5 with built in Alexa in a heartbeat if it was available. I am reluctant to go with a Sonos Play 5 and echo dot because of the additional complexity. Please also pass my comment on.
Actually, PLAY:5 Series 2 includes a microphone. While not as effective as a microphone array used in the current crop of voice enabled hardware, it might be possible to enable some voice functionality or a version of Trueplay with a software upgrade.
I have the Sonos One and it’s excellent. I want a Sonos Five with AirPlay 2 for the bedroom... and I’ll wait. Airplay 2 is so slick and the current Play:5 is so old that I’m happy to be patient.
The current PLAY:5 (gen 2) already has AirPlay 2. I use it almost daily, to listen to baseball games on TuneIn Premium from my iPad.
Ryan,
Sonos One is an integral part of our lives. I would purchase a Sonos 5 with built in Alexa in a heartbeat if it was available. I am reluctant to go with a Sonos Play 5 and echo dot because of the additional complexity. Please also pass my comment on.

It is extremely easy to set up a 5 and a Dot, and there are advantages too, e.g. the ability to locate the Dot in a better position to hear commands, and the full range of Alexa functionality. You would have to pay me to swap that for a voice enabled Play:5.