Answered

Will leaving the Roam constantly plugged in degrade battery life?

• 25 March 2021
  • 8 replies

I am planning to get a Roam and leave it constantly plugged in to use it primarily as a wifi speaker, with the option of taking it out and about when needed. My question is, will leaving it constantly plugged in degrade the battery life?

The FAQ for the Move explicitly states that leaving it on the charging base will not degrade battery life. However, the equivalent FAQ for the Roam is notably missing this reference.

Thanks for your help!

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 25 March 2021, 09:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7

Is it OK to permanently keep it on the Charging Stand?

“Yes, it will not damage Roam’s battery to leave it on the charger.”

Brilliant, thanks a ton @GuitarSuperstar 

Badge

I assume that the Roam (and Move) cease charging the battery when it is full, but do they cycle the battery occasionally, i.e. let it drain down to 20% and then recharge?  That’d be good for the battery but less good if you want to go mobile and the battery is discharged.

All,

I just reached out to a customer service rep on this same issue. 

They said that leaving the roam plugged in will not damage the batter.  As soon as the battery reaches 100% charged, it will stop charging. 

Thanks

I assume that the Roam (and Move) cease charging the battery when it is full, but do they cycle the battery occasionally, i.e. let it drain down to 20% and then recharge?  That’d be good for the battery but less good if you want to go mobile and the battery is discharged.

This is not completely true. Cycling the battery only has benefits for specific battery chemistries.

Llithium ion batteries do not need to be cycled.  In fact, it diminishes their lifetime.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Yep you want to cycle a Lithium Ion battery as little as possible (normal use basically).

Does this count for the normal charger as well? I don’t have the stand, only the cable that came with it