Answered

Will I still be able to group new and old products together and receive updates on newer products?!?!?!?!

• 22 January 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

I heard that owning a legacy product prevents you from receiving updates for your newer products, however there will be a way to “separate” them so you can still get the updates. Will this feature prevent you from grouping newer and old products together? Will you lose the ability to stream music to all your Sonos products in sync if you own older ones?  

Having to choose between losing grouping between all products or not receiving updates for newer products sounds like an absolute deal breaker for me. 

I read the “Clarifications” post but they do not answer the grouping ability. 

icon

Best answer by Ryan S 22 January 2020, 23:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hi Danos, it’d been answered a few times in that thread, but there are a lot of posts which can sometimes make it hard to get the right information.

As we move forward, we will provide ways to separate your legacy and modern products so that the modern products can still receive updates, and legacy products can still be used. We'll have more details in May. Separating the legacy and modern devices will essentially have two Sonos systems in your home, they won’t be able to group or play together, but they’ll both be controllable separately.

Modern devices will of course keep on updating and get new features.

Another option you’ll have in May is to set your whole system as Legacy. The modern devices will stay as part of the legacy software and won’t receive future updates, but you’ll be able to group everything together as you currently do.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi Danos, it’d been answered a few times in that thread, but there are a lot of posts which can sometimes make it hard to get the right information.

As we move forward, we will provide ways to separate your legacy and modern products so that the modern products can still receive updates, and legacy products can still be used. We'll have more details in May. Separating the legacy and modern devices will essentially have two Sonos systems in your home, they won’t be able to group or play together, but they’ll both be controllable separately.

Modern devices will of course keep on updating and get new features.

Another option you’ll have in May is to set your whole system as Legacy. The modern devices will stay as part of the legacy software and won’t receive future updates, but you’ll be able to group everything together as you currently do.

That’s very disappointing to hear. Would Sonos be willing to reconsider this based off customer feedback? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

The team is listening to all your feedback, but I can’t speak to if any changes may happen. This end of software support is happening because of hardware limitations. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

And is Sonos already considering what to do after the next Legacy round? In a few years when at least Play:3 and likely also Playbar, Play:1 and possibly Sub are put into Legacy mode, will people need to control 3 separate systems (Legacy 1, Legacy 2 and Modern)? 

And will ‘no grouping’ of separate systems then also mean ‘no bonding’ in surround or with sub? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

The software team I’m sure has considered what might happen if we need to do this again, but I don’t have any details to share on that in particular. Currently, we have no plans to end software updates for any other products. This legacy move quite literally doubles the amount of memory they have to work with on Sonos devices, which will significantly opens up some options. 

And will ‘no grouping’ of separate systems then also mean ‘no bonding’ in surround or with sub? 

I would answer most likely with the current process in mind. But the only device currently moving to legacy that is capable of being a surround speaker is the Connect:Amp, which had to be wired into the main device since it’s lacking the 5GHz needed for our surround sound configuration. As to what this all might look like in the future is hard to say.