Question

Will a HDD work instead of a NAS?

• 3 February 2017
  • 38 replies

Badge
Hi

Can anyone tell me if I buy a router that's supports a 1TB HDD been plugged into it will sonos recognise it?

Thanks in advance

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

38 replies

Good grief. Well done for sorting it out. The puzzling thing throughout was that everything else was happy, which suggested that the pathnames were OK and the shares in place And Sonos seemed to be finding the device... which suggested either the rest of the pathname or the shares were awry. I have no idea why Sonos would be different here. Although it may be some strange interaction between the way shares work on this particular router and Sonos. Or something else! Anyway, glad you sorted it.
Badge
Finally sorted it out guys and so simple I should be kicking myself. On my router I had "share all" which didn't suit Sonos. So I turned it off and selected my music file!!! Yes that easy. And so many hours wasted.
Badge
If the drive's attached to your router the Windows sharing properties are irrelevant. It's the router config that you should be looking at.

OK as far as I'm concerned they are done. I hate when something like this beats me but I'm done with it. I'll try ring sonos next day off. Thanks everyone for your help.
If the drive's attached to your router the Windows sharing properties are irrelevant. It's the router config that you should be looking at.
Badge
Ok so I'm fairly positive that the path is OK but going over John B geeksquad link I noticed that the share tab is missing from my hdd properties folder surely this is the problem?
Basically I have called the HDD "netstorage" and in its root I have created a folder called "music".
I can't easily read the fuzzy, un-zoomable pictures on the TP-Link I posted. Check the equivalent on your router. For the path to the shared folder you most probably have a devicename (or IP address), followed by something, followed by the top level folder ("music") in your case.

The something could be the disk volume name, but it could equally be a name assigned by the router itself.

For example, I have two routers with flash drives mounted. On one Sonos sees "//R6220/usb/Music" (R6220 is the devicename, "usb" is what it calls an attached USB device), whereas on another it's "//BTHUB/Kingston/Vorbis" (BTHUB is the devicename, "Kingston" is what the drive calls itself.)
Badge
Have you remove all special characters fom the drive path?

Bar the backslash \ yes
Badge
At a guess the UNC path being supplied to Sonos is incorrect. I've been caught out before by accidentally omitting a middle part of the name.

Hi Ratty

Thanks for your input.

I truly believe this is the problem but as I already said I'm completely new to this. Do you think this path looks right \\Netstorage\music

Basically I have called the HDD "netstorage" and in its root I have created a folder called "music"

Thanks again.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Have you remove all special characters fom the drive path?
At a guess the UNC path being supplied to Sonos is incorrect. I've been caught out before by accidentally omitting a middle part of the name.
If the error message is to be believed, it seems like Sonos is in fact finding the drive, but not finding a suitably shared folder there. So hopefully @ratty's link will help. The puzzling thing is that everything except Sonos appears to be happy with the share.
Try http://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-732.html

I've not used a TP-Link for this, but have had Sonos access USB drives hung off a number of other routers without problem.
On a quick Google, I'm not sure if SMB sharing exists under W10. Don't know if this link helps. Don't spend ages on it - try Sonos Support...

http://www.geeksquad.co.uk/articles/how-to-set-up-file-sharing-on-windows-10
Badge
No ill check that in the morning I'm using Windows 10 but I'll goggle for similar

I'll let you know thanks again
Has the sharing of folders you have done involved SMB sharing like this:

http://www.computertechblog.com/how-to-securely-set-up-file-sharing-in-windows-7/
Badge
My router is the TP-Link Archer C9 as for the HDD it's just a Toshiba 1tb external USB 3.0 model no: DTB310
Badge
Well that suggests it is nothing to do with the drive per se, but for some reason it seems Sonos cannot recognise that USB port. One last thing to try - can you find the IP address of the drive and use that instead of the name?
I think it does recognise the USB port because it finds "netstorage" its the music folder it struggles with by saying there is no shared folder "music" on the computer "netstorage"

What does no shared folder mean?
I really don't think you could have done much more. I wonder if there is a network port that Sonos needs open, but that other devices don't, but that is going beyond my knowledge. In the meantime it may be worth posting the makes and models of router and HDD. You never know....
Badge
No good thanks for your help looks like I'll have to give them a call
Sorry, one other point, not quite as desperate as it sounds, try it with back slashes as well as forward slashes
If the IP address doesn't work I think you need to phone Sonos Support and have them remote access your system.
Well that suggests it is nothing to do with the drive per se, but for some reason it seems Sonos cannot recognise that USB port. One last thing to try - can you find the IP address of the drive and use that instead of the name?
Badge
That is helpful to know. This really is frustrating! I am not sure whether this would tell us anything useful or not..... but how about trying a USB flash drive with a couple of albums on it in the router slot?

So so frustrating. Ok so I just did as suggest and I get the exact same error message
Badge
Could it have anything to do with the router even though my shield tv and pc can access hdd with no issue?
That is helpful to know. This really is frustrating! I am not sure whether this would tell us anything useful or not..... but how about trying a USB flash drive with a couple of albums on it in the router slot?