Answered

WiFi help - Play:1s dropping

• 17 January 2021
  • 15 replies

Badge
  • Contributor I
  • 9 replies

I’m having problems with my play ones audio kicking out and sometimes the audio sound as if it is coming from a tin can.  (mostly listening to internet talk radio).  I’m wondering if it is because of how I have it set up.   Also the audio sounds much better if I stream via the TV app (YouTube TV) vs playing through the apple tv app Youtube TV.  Right now watching TV I have no audio from my play 1’s.

Apple TV 4K

LG smart TV

Boost- ethernet to Linksys velop router not spectrum modem

Playbar-,ethernet connected to boost.  Optic fiber to TV

Sub  and 2 play 1’s wifi on sonos boost.

I turned off trueplay  because it makes it worse.

Music playback full

I’ve considered disabling the whole system and start over,  I don’t think I’m getting the great sonos audio.  I realize this is not a real 5:1 but I expected better audio quality.

icon

Best answer by wrmy 7 February 2021, 17:12

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @wrmy,

Welcome to the Sonos community. Thank you for reaching out to us and for your detailed post describing your concern. To help you out why your Sonos is having audio when streaming music, I'll be requesting from you in submitting a diagnostic report and include the confirmation number in your response to find out the cause. Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns, we'll be glad to assist you.  

Badge

I just submitted a diagnostic report and here is my system.

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the community guidelines.*

It might help if you told them what diagnostic report number it was. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @wrmy, thanks for your response. Can you please provide us the diagnostic report confirmation number for us to check? We'll wait for your reply.

Badge

airgetlam,

I don’t know where to find it.

When you submit a system diagnostic, the screen that you get to indicate a successful report being sent in has a confirmation number on it. If you didn’t make note of it, just submit another one, and post the number here for Rowena or one of the other Sonos folks to see. 

Badge

Thank you, Obviously I didn’t pay attention to the screen.

Here is my number:191674593

Thank you for your help

It’s an easy thing to miss. I’ll be interested to see what Sonos can divine from it. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi folks,

@Airgetlam thank you for your usual assistance. We always appreciate your help.

@wrmy thanks for your response and for submitting the diagnostic.

Upon checking on the report, there’s wireless interference detected in your wired setup that may be caused by wireless congestion. In a wired setup, at least one of your Sonos products will stay wired to the router with an Ethernet cable to create a dedicated wireless network specifically for your Sonos system.  Also, the WiFi is disabled on your Sonos Playbar and the ethernet cable is potentially faulty. This could be the reason why you're experiencing audio issues. 

Let me suggest the following steps to see if this would work for you.

1. Enable WiFi on your Sonos Playbar. Enabling the WiFi will broadcast the signal to other speakers in your home theater setup.
    • In the Sonos app, tap the Settings > System > Tap the name of the room (wired speaker) > Under Products tap the model of speaker > Select Enable WiFi
    • Test TV playback
  2. Remove and re-add surround your rear speakers
    • Test TV playback
  3. Remove and re-add the Sub
    • Test TV playback
    • If you’re still having the same issue, proceed to the next step
  4. Sequential reboot to refresh your network and all your Sonos devices connection.
    • Unplug your network devices (modem, router, any wireless access points on the network) from the power and wait for 60 full seconds before you plug it back in.
    • Once the router is back online, unplug all your Sonos devices from the power.
    • Please wait 15 seconds before you plug back them back in.
    • Force close the Sonos app from your iOS or Android device.
    • When the status light on your Sonos speakers are solid white, get back on the Sonos app and check if you're connected.
  5. If you have a spare ethernet cable, please replace the one connected to your Playbar. Inspect the ethernet cable to ensure it’s not bent or kinked and check to see that it’s fully inserted into both devices.

If there’s no improvement with the audio while watching TV, I recommend contacting our phone support for more in-depth troubleshooting steps and to check what's going on with your Sonos.

Let us know if you have any questions or concerns, we'll be glad to assist you.

Badge

Thank you,  

I did steps 1-3 and  replaced the ethernet cable and will report back.

Do you think it would be better not using the boost? 

The playbar is wired to the boost (audio optic fiber to TV) and the boost wired to Linksys Velop mesh pod not modem.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @wrmy

Thanks for your response. Let me share some information with you.

Sonos system can be configured in either a wireless or wired setup, with the Sonos Boost wired to your router, it will create a Sonos network. The Sonos Boost is great to possibly help to operate in a room where Sonos is beyond the reach of your WiFi because it will establish a SonosNet, and Sonos products will be able to pass the wireless signal to other Sonos products.

Please keep us posted on how you get on with the advice above. We’ll wait for your reply.

Badge

Hello,

Its been 16 days and the Play 1’s still fade in and out with the Playbar.  I’ll have audio on all speaker then either 1 or both of the 1’s will fade out then fade in. The audio will echo and sounds as if they are talking into a tin can then fluctuate between the playbar and 1’s.  It is so annoying that I have unplugged them.  I moved the boost, changed channels along with your suggested steps.  I’m going to remove the boost to see if that helps.  I don’t recall having this issue using the S1 app.

Badge

update,

I removed the Play 1’s from the surround sound and can play independently.  Here is what I found-If I only listen to the Play 1’s via my LG smart TV they cut out.  I’m submitting another diagnostic.  1803884632.  

I wasn’t aware of this issue streaming music.

Badge

After much searching in this forum I found the solution to this problem from another poster.  My Playbar (even tho hardwired) needed the the connection set to “enable wifi”.  So far so good.  Fingers crossed.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @wrmy, thanks for your response and for updating us. We really appreciate all your effort in resolving the issue. Please continue to monitor your Sonos system. If you run into any issues, I recommend contacting our phone support for more in-depth troubleshooting steps. If you have any further questions or concerns, we'll be glad to assist you.