Why the big price increase on Sonos products?

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I am a happy Sonos user and am just curious why the sudden “large price increase across the Sonos line?

The Play 5 gen 2 has gone up 50%,as an example…...This in an economy where unemployment is at an almost all time high.

I can understand Sonos increasing prices,but at this time and such a large jump in cost to the consumer makes me wonder what is going on?

Hmm? Is Sonos counting on the new high resolution App to justify this price jump?

Normally,I’d have no issue with a well deserved/reasonable price jump,as companies require profits to justify improvements in products(Sonos is great at that)…..but….”at this time” and with such a huge increase,across the board,I am thinking marketing suicide or that High Res App is something special.

Just thinking out loud.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

There was no price increase on the Play:5 in the US, it’s been $499 since launch.  So I imagine it has to do with exchange rates. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Where are you seeing the price increase?  The US site has prices as normal, with some things actually on a decent sale price.  Amazon prices also are on par with the normal price.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I thought I saw this on SONOS.COM

If I am wrong,apologies.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I just rechecked the Sonos.com site….I am sure there must have been an error, because yesterday eve and this morning,the prices listed were significantly higher.

Glad that there is no increase….Btw,I had a pal also check and he saw the same thing.

Forgive me for possibly shaking things up.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Weird that you saw the wrong prices, from what I can tell, there haven’t been any inadvertent changes either on the website, and the base prices haven’t changed. Is it possible you had the wrong location selected last night? Perhaps somehow you wound up on the AUS page?

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I was pretty certain that I went to Sonos.com…..but…. I certainly don’t wish to shake things up!

Sorry for the confusion and Sonos makes a fabulous product.This coming from a former high end audiophile.

I “cannot wait” for the high res App!

As I write the price for PLAY:5 is $499.00 on the US SONOS website and the unit is currently out of stock.

I think you are correct regarding a price increase. I looked at a two-pack of Sonos 1sl to add to my system earlier this week and they were listed at $139...now they list at $179 each. Missed the window I guess…

but I am interested to know if there is a reason... 

I thought I saw this on SONOS.COM

If I am wrong,apologies.

I’m pretty sure you did...at least I thought I saw this...

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’ve been getting e-mail about various Sonos sale offers, might that sale price have been the lower one you saw?

I think you are correct regarding a price increase. I looked at a two-pack of Sonos 1sl to add to my system earlier this week and they were listed at $139...now they list at $179 each. Missed the window I guess…

but I am interested to know if there is a reason... 

There is. Special offers don't last for ever. $179 is the normal retail price, as it has been since the product was launched. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I followed a link a day or two back and was shocked at some of the prices - Play 5 Gen 2 was $749.

I thought it strange too but when I checked, for some reason I had been taken to the Aus site and the prices were Australian dollars.  Maybe something similar here?

https://www.sonos.com/en-au/products/wireless-speakers