Why isn't Sonos Listening?

• 31 December 2017
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
It has been several months now since the introduction of Alexa control and Sonos One, and the Sonos community has repeatedly asked for a few things that have landed on deaf ears. I am not impressed at Sonos' reaction (or lack thereof). Here are my two biggest examples:
1) Stereo pairing between Play 1 and Sonos One. C'mon guy, this is a software tweak. You say these speakers are different, but to the untrained ear they sound identical. Slight differences can be handled by automated equalizer tweaks (as if we would notice anyway).
2) I want a control app, not a flashlight app. When you changed from a black to a white background, those of us who use it in low light situations are still having eye problems. At the very least, this should be a settings option for the app.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1
It is possible they aren't going to make the changes you seek. I have read that they are listening but no confirmation of any changes.
It has been several months now since the introduction of Alexa control and Sonos One

October 4th was "several months" ago? I guess you're using a different calendar than the rest of us.
Userlevel 5
Badge +1

October 4th was "several months" ago? I guess you're using a different calendar than the rest of us.

Nah he's right on it's been several months. "I guess" you are just being needlessly argumentative and obtuse.
The software deveopment cycle is longer than 3 months. Anything released in the last 3 months has been in the pipeline since before the Alexa/8.0 launch in October. Even in an abbreviated sprint cycle, you aren't going to see anything addressing post-launch issues until the next few weeks or more.
I am close to sending my new Sonos one back as i wanted to pair it with an existing play 1. Not too pleased that the voice command does not work with a Sonos play list! Not even to "skip track" or "turn it up to 5" type command.. This is not a great move for a company that is given the impression of being able to link up the house one step at a time, room by room...
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
It has been several months now since the introduction of Alexa control and Sonos One, and the Sonos community has repeatedly asked for a few things that have landed on deaf ears. I am not impressed at Sonos' reaction (or lack thereof). Here are my two biggest examples:
1) Stereo pairing between Play 1 and Sonos One. C'mon guy, this is a software tweak. You say these speakers are different, but to the untrained ear they sound identical. Slight differences can be handled by automated equalizer tweaks (as if we would notice anyway).
2) I want a control app, not a flashlight app. When you changed from a black to a white background, those of us who use it in low light situations are still having eye problems. At the very least, this should be a settings option for the app.

Of course, just because a company doesn't do everything you happen to want, doesn't mean it's not listening. It can simply decide not to do it, or not to do it now. I happen to want neither of the things you are asking for, so I'd rather they invest limited engineering investment elswhere -- preferably in the things I want 😉 Those are the trade-offs companies need to balance.
I want Ferrari to sell me an F12 for $20K, but they just won’t listen to me. So frustrating!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Gees another cant pair play:1 and Sonos One post. If you want to pair them just do it - sonosequencer
I have 5 echo dots through the house. No problem using them withe the (3) play 1 and (1) play 5 I currently have with Sonos. I think the Sonos one will be fine over time.
I will try out the Sonos Sequencer App, if that pairs them up in stereo then all good! thanks for the tip Chris.
Badge
I agree with Harrigill!

Who thought that a white flashlight bakground was a good idea?:?

Please give us the option to switch background color between white or black or at least bundle the speakers with a pair of sunglasses🆒
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hopefully works well for you Jon! Sorry if I seemed frustrated regarding so many threads complaining about the joining of the Sonos One and Play:1. A lot of people complaining they "shouldn't" have to use sonosequencr.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Abbreviated sprint cycles are longer than 3 months? For a consumer app? Are not user stories ever updated? I think this company needs a new software development team!
Note that sprint cycles often don't map directly to release cycles, or even QA processes. There's a multitude of inputs into software releases, not just development team effort.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
We do know that Sonos maintains active Beta cycles all year long. What all features those Beta cycles are testing only Sonos knows.