Why is my legacy amp now listed as modern?

• 29 February 2020
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I was going to do an upgrade of the Legacy Amp that Sonos contacted me about several months ago.

However, now when I look at the amp under my account it is suddenly listed as MODERN and not eligible for the upgrade.

Anyone know what is going on?  There are other Sonos customers complaining of the same issue on Facebook.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

It must be one of the later model Connect:Amps -- from 2015 onwards -- with the extra memory. This qualifies it as ‘modern’.

It’s bizarre that people elsewhere would actually be complaining about this. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

It must be one of the later model Connect:Amps -- from 2015 onwards -- with the extra memory. This qualifies it as ‘modern’.

The problem is, we all received notices that our similar amps were eligible for trade-in.

I checked a few weeks ago under my account and it was eligible.  

Now suddenly, that has changed and I and other people want to know why.  I wouldn’t call that bizarre.

The problem is, we all received notices that our similar amps were eligible for trade-in.

I checked a few weeks ago under my account and it was eligible.  

Now suddenly, that has changed and I and other people want to know why.  I wouldn’t call that bizarre.

I think there was a glitch early on that caused a few ‘modern’ units to be incorrectly classified as ‘legacy’, but I am not completely sure of that.  I think you will have to contact Sonos directly for definitive confirmation on your unit.

Presumably Sonos subsequently narrowed down the range of Connect/Connect:Amp players which fell into the 32MB ‘legacy’ category and those later 64MB units which escaped into the ‘modern’ world, then flagged users’ account accordingly. I also have a ‘modern’ Connect:Amp.

It’s not bizarre to question why. It would however be bizarre to complain that a product once assumed to be consigned to ‘legacy’ status now has a reprieve.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Presumably Sonos subsequently narrowed down the range of Connect/Connect:Amp players which fell into the 32MB ‘legacy’ category and those later 64MB units which escaped into the ‘modern’ world, then flagged users’ account accordingly. I also have a ‘modern’ Connect:Amp.

It’s not bizarre to question why. It would however be bizarre to complain that a product once assumed to be consigned to ‘legacy’ status now has a reprieve.

You absolutely read my post incorrectly.

The status on Facebook is nobody knows why our products went from Legacy to Modern.  So it is not bizarre to question it.  Nobody is complaining.  That is your presumption only.

However, I have seen your other replies here and they are usually nasty in nature so I am not surprised to see you remain constant.

Got an official response from Sonos.  Have been helped and we got our question answered.

However, I have seen your other replies here and they are usually nasty in nature

I’ll be charitable and assume you must have confused me with someone else. After 12 years and having helped thousands of users I’m afraid I don’t rise to that kind of bait.

Enjoy your ‘modern’ Connect:Amp.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

However, I have seen your other replies here and they are usually nasty in nature

I’ll be charitable and assume you must have confused me with someone else. After 12 years and having helped thousands of users I’m afraid I don’t rise to that kind of bait.

Enjoy your ‘modern’ Connect:Amp.

Oh, no, I absolutely pegged the right person

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Same here, I found it bizarre, as I went out and bought two new ones after the notice came out, and my old ones which are still listed on my account shown as “modern”.  I don’t regret the “upgrade” nor am I complaining, but wish I had known I could have hold on to them for a bit longer (were sold after the “upgrade”.  But definitively is related to the model as these two units were fairly new to begin with.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I could/should have complained as I ended up “upgrading” two then-legacy connect:amps for two new ones, just to find out my connect:amps did not really need to be replaced.  I know that now, because they are still listed on my account and show as “modern” though I was advised they were legacy and should be upgraded.  Still, is probably I would have done down the road, just wished I had been properly advised by Sonos.

Err… no you didn’t… ratty is one of the most helpful and knowledgeable people on here…

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Err… no you didn’t… ratty is one of the most helpful and knowledgeable people on here…

Well, let’s just agree to disagree on that.  

Userlevel 1
Badge

I just logged in and found out my Connect:Amp which powers my ceiling speakers and is paired with my Playbar is a legacy product and will no longer receive updates. It seems there is a version of the Connect:Amp that IS considered a modern product. Does anyone know when that version was released? I purchased my Connect:Amp directly from Sonos in March 2015. I am a bit upset if the newer Connect:Amp was available at that time and Sonos sent me the older version.

Thanks!

I believe the change was in September of 2016. Since Sonos didn’t announce the change, it’s hard to know for sure, but it is extremely unlikely that they sold you an old version when there was a new version available. Much more likely for a retailer, who would have had old stock on the shelves.