Why don't Sonos offer a repair service?

Userlevel 3
Badge
Sonos are no longer a young start up, that has not had time to think about repair. Sonos, like all electronic products, occasionally one goes wrong. Your products are expensive to buy, and you could set up a repair workshop and repair them (or even contract it out). I'm sure this could be a revenue centre not a cost centre.

I am a long time user with a reasonable investment in Sonos (seven units) - or six working units and a faulty one!

I used be proud of my Sonos system, and promote the Sonos products amongst my friends, but this looks like you don't care about your users. If users don't feel valued, they stop caring about the company.

How many other users have faulty units at home?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

94 replies

Userlevel 1
My Connect Amp has also "just stopped working" and now that I think of it, it was after a firmware upgrade. like its bricked or something. I purchased it in summer 2015 used it to power outdoor patio speakers. unit is inside a cool clean and dry basement away from any heat/sun. used only during warm months so unit is plugged in for maybe 3 months a year after that I unplug it because theirs no reason to have this thing powered up. Now it wont boot up and only flashed the white light. $500 unit is a paperweight. SONOS reply buy a new one for a reduced rate of $350.......YEAH that's what I want to do after spending $500 for a unit used for a total of like 5 months of random use. I will NEVER buy SONOS or recommend them again for their lack of customer service AND all you defenders of sonos......your day like ours IS in your future and lets hear the tune you play then LOL.

We should consider legal action - I contacted their CEO but, as expected, did neither hear back from him nor from the support team when complaining about this attitude and the apparent rip-off. I think Samsung has a class action lawsuit pending for bricking devices, including damage of property. I'll certainly exhaust all means I have to tell people about this so they know before they purchase.
Userlevel 1
The 'customer service" rep on the phone who tried to help me had the biggest I don't care attitude ever. he walked me through everything that i basically read online from the tons of other SONOS owners in the same boat and when we exhausted all the attempts he offers the reduced rate. Like I and others need to spend $1000 over the course of 3 years on one Amp. i have old relic electronics that STILL work to this day!!!
Userlevel 1
UPDATE well after some perseverance it paid off. I called back and spoke to a new CS rep and he put me through to a supervisor who asked me a couple of questions and they can tell that the connect amp had not been updated with my other devices and agreed to send me a new one!! Amazing I had to jump through hoops for it. I understand you have to have policies in place to protect youraelf, but for such expensive items they should extend their warranty especially if they believe in the quality of it. So it ended well for me but I wasn't getting off the phone excepting anything else.. I was calm and polite I didnt hand them their tail and im sure that helped. Lol next one I buy (IF there's a next one) will be from someone I can purchase a extended warranty from.
A fuss about nothing. My CONNECT too failed shortly after the warranty expired. These things happen, it's electronic stuff.
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
I note how variable the customer treatment is regarding repair / replacement. In some markets, advance replacements are generally offered at a discount, in other markets customers appear to be told that they're on their own re: getting stuff repaired.

Past instances of OEMs denying customer care based on how the components were purchased have been found illegal in the courts. For example, Peugot in France tried to deny French customers of Peugots bought in Belgium their warranties as means of ensuring that French citizens would keep buying higher-priced cars in France - the EU court struck this down. I see Sonos' similar treatment of folk who bought their components outside the official channel as no different. This wouldn't be as pressing an issue if non-Sonos repairs were easily obtainable.

In the old days, getting audio gear repaired was usually easier... Schematics were generally available, through-hole components were relatively easy to replace. Nowadays, the cost of getting into the business has become significantly more expensive as SMD components have shrunk, boards have become multilayered and denser. Some computer repair folk need microscopes, $$$ reflow stations, etc. just to be able to replace & inspect chips. However, without documentation (which typically has to be provided by the OEM) this line of work is going to become harder and harder to cost-justify.

This "right to repair" issue isn't limited to Sonos. Other companies like Apple are also tightening the screws on independent repair shops, making it harder and harder for them to obtain relevant documentation to effect repairs outside the OEM channels. Support "Right to Repair" bills in your state (see iFixit for more info).
Userlevel 1
A fuss about nothing??!! Its $500! If thats nothing to you then I guess your one of those people that just pile expensive electronics on the curb because it don't march your decor any more. This thing stopped working after I was made to accept the latest firmware update and I should just accept that? Maybe you...but not me
A fuss about nothing??!! Its $500! If thats nothing to you then I guess your one of those people that just pile expensive electronics on the curb because it don't march your decor any more. This thing stopped working after I was made to accept the latest firmware update and I should just accept that? Maybe you...but not me
That was just a coincidence.
[...] Past instances of OEMs denying customer care based on how the components were purchased have been found illegal in the courts. For example, Peugot in France tried to deny French customers of Peugots bought in Belgium their warranties as means of ensuring that French citizens would keep buying higher-priced cars in France - the EU court struck this down. I see Sonos' similar treatment of folk who bought their components outside the official channel as no different. This wouldn't be as pressing an issue if non-Sonos repairs were easily obtainable.
You mean there's nothing fishy about buying defective equipment on ebay, then calling in to Support for a replacement? 😉

You mean there's nothing fishy about buying defective equipment on ebay, then calling in to Support for a replacement? ;)

Don't bother. The poster is one of the CR100 folks, and has made it his mission to foment disappointment and/or spoil support of Sonos wherever they can. They are just a little bit better at hiding it than the guy who comes right out and mentions the CR100 (See above). Best to just ignore it.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
for informational perpose
If you Live in the UK sevenoaks sound and vision and richersounds offer an 6 year warranty on all sonos products. i got mine from sevenoaks sound and vision
Userlevel 1
Today I was contacted back by SONOS support and they explained the £350 charge was due to the fact that they would replace my broken 1st gen Player 5 with the latest generation (which currently sells for twice what I had originally paid). I argued back that I was not particular interested in the new Player 5 and would rather accept a Player 3 if that would allow them to waive the fee.
I also stated how many Sonos devices i own and that i had considered myself a loyal customer up to this point (including recommending SONOS to a number of friends which resulted in purchases).
They offered me in the end a replacement under warranty. So I am a happy camper. Though I still find SONOS' approach and fee structure questionable and would urge them to reconsider their practices. Charging reasonable fees would safe them the hassle of arguing with disgruntled customers and is possibly not more expensive than waiving unreasonably high fees ever so often. I do like that they offer sending the new unit first, so one can reuse the packaging for the return.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Today I was contacted back by SONOS support and they explained the £350 charge was due to the fact that they would replace my broken 1st gen Player 5 with the latest generation (which currently sells for twice what I had originally paid). I argued back that I was not particular interested in the new Player 5 and would rather accept a Player 3 if that would allow them to waive the fee.
I also stated how many Sonos devices i own and that i had considered myself a loyal customer up to this point (including recommending SONOS to a number of friends which resulted in purchases).
They offered me in the end a replacement under warranty. So I am a happy camper. Though I still find SONOS' approach and fee structure questionable and would urge them to reconsider their practices. Charging reasonable fees would safe them the hassle of arguing with disgruntled customers and is possibly not more expensive than waiving unreasonably high fees ever so often. I do like that they offer sending the new unit first, so one can reuse the packaging for the return.

I am by no means a "Sonos fan-boy" but being offered an upgrade from 1st gen to 2nd gen for half price does not seem too shabby to me. Sonos then went on to offer a warranty replacement, ok it took a bit of pushing, but that also seems like good customer service to me.

Looks like Sonos have not forgotten all of their old customer service ethos, even if recently have done much to ruin their great reputation in this area.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
.... They are just a little bit better at hiding it than the guy who comes right out and mentions the CR100 (See above). Best to just ignore it.
I cannot find the post with CR100 mentioned anywhere, am I just bad at finding it or has the post been "moderated"? 😳
Badge +1
I contacted Sonos support regarding a Connect ZP80 unit that won’t update. Their attitude was terrible. All they want to do it sell me a replacement unit for £249 exchange. A brand new one is only £309. This must be a real simple repair but they won’t tell me if it is. Sorry Sonos, but I won’t be paying that or buying anymore products from you. I have 3x Play 1’s, a Play 3, a Play 5 and a Connect Amp. Years of brand loyalty for nothing.
I have found my experience with Sonos customer support was well mannered. Like many of you, I have found one of my Sonos (Play 5 gen 1) simply didn't power up and Sonos had kindly offered a discount at £359 for a Play 5 gen 2. Although I've been offered a better product, but I rather repair than get a newer speaker-more environmentally friendly and also why spend more money?

However I do find it slightly hard to understand Sonos doesn't offer any repair services. I grew up with Bang and Olufsen in New Zealand, even they provide repair services at the bottom of the world in the 90s! Sonos is a GLOBAL company now, not a small start up. They can at least provide repair services in major cities or town. IMHO there are no excuses that their equipment is this "complicated" to repair. I collect watches, Rolex and Patek will not say to you, I will give you a discount to buy a new one because your watch no longer functions, they fix it (or even send it back to Geneva) and I am sure is more complicated than Sonos when we are talking perpetual calendar or minute repeater functions.
Sonos are no longer a young start up, that has not had time to think about repair. Sonos, like all electronic products, occasionally one goes wrong. Your products are expensive to buy, and you could set up a repair workshop and repair them (or even contract it out). I'm sure this could be a revenue centre not a cost centre.

I am a long time user with a reasonable investment in Sonos (seven units) - or six working units and a faulty one!

I used be proud of my Sonos system, and promote the Sonos products amongst my friends, but this looks like you don't care about your users. If users don't feel valued, they stop caring about the company.

How many other users have faulty units at home?

yep! Me too!

Thing is, you can find repair solutions on the web, ie, how to replace the wifi card. So it is possible. My connect has failed and I'm dammed if i'm going to like Sonos get away with this. Next step trading standards.
I’m so frustrated with Sonos. As many of you, I’m heavily invested in hardware and to replace the whole thing would be such a waste. I mistakenly purchased THREE Play 5 Gen 1 units when they came out (along with others). The last 18 months, two went and only one was under warranty through the third party vendor (store) that I bought it from. Now the third one has gone and I’m disappointed that with all the complaints and known issues with the Gen 1, Sonos isn’t taking care of its early adopters. I don’t want to spend another £350 / $500 on another unguaranteed product - I just want to fix mine! My father continues to laugh at me because his speakers are over 25 years old and he’s never had a problem with them.

Get it together Sonos! Your Gen I customers are the reason you’re successful now...
I’m so frustrated with Sonos. As many of you, I’m heavily invested in hardware and to replace the whole thing would be such a waste. I mistakenly purchased THREE Play 5 Gen 1 units when they came out (along with others). The last 18 months, two went and only one was under warranty through the third party vendor (store) that I bought it from. Now the third one has gone and I’m disappointed that with all the complaints and known issues with the Gen 1, Sonos isn’t taking care of its early adopters. I don’t want to spend another £350 / $500 on another unguaranteed product - I just want to fix mine! My father continues to laugh at me because his speakers are over 25 years old and he’s never had a problem with them.

Get it together Sonos! Your Gen I customers are the reason you’re successful now...

They are not being honest about the lack of a repair process, most products can be repaired and its just weird that they think this is acceptable.

Essentially, everything they make is there to be replaced after a few years. If you look at the Sonos Bridge it has tiny holes underneath for ventilation, this is bound to fail as it will overheat as did mine.

NO POINT COMPLAINING> they know what they are doing
We have just moved into new home. Theatre, Sonos in place. Wifi cabled to house and connected. But we don't know how to connect theatre, how to use Sonos and we need Wifi extended to reach every room. We don't have the routers, so we'd also need them to tell us what to buy before they arrive
We have just moved into new home. Theatre, Sonos in place. Wifi cabled to house and connected. But we don't know how to connect theatre, how to use Sonos and we need Wifi extended to reach every room. We don't have the routers, so we'd also need them to tell us what to buy before they arrive

dont do it, its a money pit

..... their systems are so fragile, the amount of time you spend fussing you may as well get out of your seat and change a cd, more reliable and better sound quality
Same bad experience here.
I have a faulty Connect and I have to pay A$ 389 + 10% tax for the replacement unit which is 75% of the new unit.
It seems that Sonos products can't be repaired.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have a faulty Connect and I have to pay A$ 389 + 10% tax for the replacement unit which is 75% of the new unit.

How old was your Connect?

Bought it on 2016
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Bought it on 2016

Assuming you bought it new, that's really quite recent. You might want to try pressing Sonos for a better deal: there's no way you've had 75% of the expected value of the Connect in less than three years of use.

Bought it on 2016

Assuming you bought it new, that's really quite recent. You might want to try pressing Sonos for a better deal: there's no way you've had 75% of the expected value of the Connect in less than three years of use.

Yes, I bought it new and barely out of warranty.
I just can't accept that I have to buy replacement unit at that price.
My other stereo equipments can be repaired at much lower cost.