Why don't Sonos offer a repair service?

Userlevel 3
Badge
Sonos are no longer a young start up, that has not had time to think about repair. Sonos, like all electronic products, occasionally one goes wrong. Your products are expensive to buy, and you could set up a repair workshop and repair them (or even contract it out). I'm sure this could be a revenue centre not a cost centre.

I am a long time user with a reasonable investment in Sonos (seven units) - or six working units and a faulty one!

I used be proud of my Sonos system, and promote the Sonos products amongst my friends, but this looks like you don't care about your users. If users don't feel valued, they stop caring about the company.

How many other users have faulty units at home?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

94 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Play units are complicated pieces of kit made in china.
They will last nowhere near as long as a conventional speaker. At least they have a 2year warranty.
Sonos's first move could be to offer an additional 5yr warranty, the same as tv manufacturers.
Most warranties are outsourced to insurance companies like domestic & general.
This was not even mentioned in latest survey, so doubt they are even thinking about it........
I'm not sure I see the problem here. When out of warranty, Sonos most often offers a refurbished unit at a significantly reduced price in lieu of repairing. It then takes the returned unit and sends it out for refurbishing. Not exactly sure how keeping the customer's unit for repair, during which time the customer is without use of the unit, would be more beneficial than immediately issuing a replacement. I personally would be far more satisfied to receive a like-new unit at a reduced price than paying a significant repair bill and being without the unit for the time it takes to repair.
Userlevel 3
Badge
That would be great, I would be very happy for them to take my Connect 120 and send me a refurbished unit. I can't find that on the web site. Where do they offer that?
That would be great, I would be very happy for them to take my Connect 120 and send me a refurbished unit. I can't find that on the web site. Where do they offer that?

There is no written policy, support deals with it on a case by case basis. You have to contact support and they will give you options.
And usually for that kind of thing, your discussion with Support would happen by phone. You can find the numbers, and hours, here: www.sonos.com/contact
Badge
Hello, I am a Sonos Owner of 17 units between my restaurant and home. Just called support due to a dropped Play:1. I was hoping to be able to send in the unit for a paid repair. It still works, just sounds like a blown speaker. Was told there were no options available through Sonos and they knew of no 3rd party services that would repair the unit. Seems a shame to throw away, due to a blown speaker, this $200, 4 pound work of art that still plays music. I can play with the unit, like here: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Sonos+Play+1+Mid-Woofer+speaker+Replacement/50887 - but I don't have a replacement speaker available. It just seems a little short-sighted to not anticipate customers wanting longevity in their products and avoid the landfill. I might just hold onto this one for a few years until they get a repair process in place for out of warranty issues.
They do not repair units, but I've never seen Sonos not offer to replace a damaged out of warranty unit with a refurbished unit at a reduced price. Now maybe they have, but I've personally never seen a complaint on here from which a customer was left hanging with the damaged unit. Perhaps you should ask about replacements rather than repairs.
Badge
Interesting. To paraphrase the rep that I talked to, who was very nice and helpful, since I broke it, I was out of luck.
I'm sure there are stipulations, and dropping may be one. I've just never seen a response like that. Then again, I've not seen anyone inquire about a dropped unit.
I would suspect that they also don't offer any assistance once you've opened the device, for those of you who may read this thread in the future. I'd recommend calling in and chatting with them before taking a step that drastic (in their eyes).
My Play1 officially has become an embarrassment to use. Out of nowhere the sound just became distorted for no good reason. I also have searched effortlessly for a solution/troubleshooting options all to no avail. Extremely disappointing.
Then you should call in and talk to one of their Customer Support folks, with all due speed. Local area phone numbers and hours can be found at www.sonos.com/contact
My Play1 officially has become an embarrassment to use. Out of nowhere the sound just became distorted for no good reason. I also have searched effortlessly for a solution/troubleshooting options all to no avail. Extremely disappointing.

I suggest you contact Sonos support.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Sonos are no longer a young start up, that has not had time to think about repair. Sonos, like all electronic products, occasionally one goes wrong. Your products are expensive to buy, and you could set up a repair workshop and repair them (or even contract it out). I'm sure this could be a revenue centre not a cost centre.

I used be proud of my Sonos system, and promote the Sonos products amongst my friends, but this looks like you don't care about your users. If users don't feel valued, they stop caring about the company.

Most modern electronics, due to complexity, cost of manufacturing, shipping, and a whole host of issues are more expensive to repair than simply produce. It doesn't have anything to do with the size of the company or something like that. It's just too dang expensive to keep skilled labor around to repair things. Items are refurbished to try and recoup some lost money, but it's certainly not for significant profit.

You can misinterpret that result as Sonos being unfair or something equally bizarre, but it's the way of the world.

You can misinterpret that result as Sonos being unfair or something equally bizarre, but it's the way of the world.

It is a consequence of make in "China" and a price to pay for a lower upfront price. Which isn't to say that this is good consequence, responsible for landfills larger than they need to be and other environmental damage to the commons.
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
Sonos are replacing a unit that I bought in 2009 - it was a very easy process through Support. DHL postage all paid for by Sonos and DHL came to the house to pick it up. I guess they operate on a case by case basis, no idea, but in my case they win a gold star. 🙂
Badge
As I have posted before (years ago?) I contacted SONOS as after more than 5 years service my 2006 forerunner to the Connect:Amp had died and I was wanting it repaired. I was informed that I could get e replacement at reduced cost which I gratefully accepted and received in an unopened box a brand new then current equivalent model. What other company does that? Since then I have also had a wall-wart for a Bridge replaced at no cost. I have also had terrific (free) remote assistance from SONOS with a choice of English or Dutch support (I live in the Netherlands) with one call over 30 minutes in duration. What other company does that?
I rest my case.
The first concern I'd have with a repaired unit would be: 'Is it going to break again? It's old after all.'
Not to mention the amount of time and cost (hourly rate) for doing these repairs. A brand-new unit at a reduced price clearly is the preferred solution.
"what other company does that ?"

How would you feel if you dented your car and the garage told you they could not offer you a repair or parts to repair, but would gladly offer a replacement for you to purchase? I suppose it depends if the purchase was cheaper than the repair - unlikely though!

The policy on replacement is also inconsistent and undocumented. Support do NOT always offer a route for replacement. It's a landfill policy and manufacturers should be penalised with hefty taxes for promoting landfill.
Good grief, they aren't "promoting landfill". Where do you think they get the refurb units they sell to you at a huge discount as a replacement? They are the returned units that are sent away to be refurbished. So they do repair your unit, they just don't make you wait the weeks or months it takes for it to be refurbished fo you to get a new one. Instead, you get one right away! Oh the horror! :8
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Buy new sonos stuff from richer sounds now with a 6year warranty 🆒
Shame sonos cannot match this when buying direct from their website!!...
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Buy new sonos stuff from richer sounds now with a 6 year warranty

Same from Sevenoaks Sound & Vision, if you're in the UK. Both stores are good to deal with.
Good grief, they aren't "promoting landfill". Where do you think they get the refurb units they sell to you at a huge discount as a replacement? They are the returned units that are sent away to be refurbished. So they do repair your unit, they just don't make you wait the weeks or months it takes for it to be refurbished fo you to get a new one. Instead, you get one right away! Oh the horror! :8

Sounds great, just send me the link or pointer to the policy. Oh, that's right, there isn't one. This option seems to be provided on a case by case basis, so your statement doesn't stand for all cases!

All I have been offered when I contacted customer support is... Nothing. Nada. Nil. Zilch. So, all that I can assume is that they do NOT always offer this service. They did say that they "understood" my position when I said that I was disappointed that nothing could be done with my Playbar that had suffered some cosmetic damage.
Support have clarified. Sonos will NOT offer any replacement service for any unit that does not have an out of warranty manufacturing defect. I stand by my 'Sonos is promoting landfill" statement. I have no replacement option from the company I purchased the product from.

If someone can give a link/pointer to a replacement mesh material, then I may take a stab at self repair.
Support have clarified. Sonos will NOT offer any replacement service for any unit that does not have an out of warranty manufacturing defect. I stand by my 'Sonos is promoting landfill" statement. I have no replacement option from the company I purchased the product from.

If someone can give a link/pointer to a replacement mesh material, then I may take a stab at self repair.

No, the units do not go in a landfill, they are refurbished and used to replace those units that do have a defect as decided on a case by case basis. So as I stated, your landfill remark is rubbish. Pun intended.