Why Can't I listen to my music through my Computer?

• 26 August 2012
  • 99 replies

Userlevel 1
My only disappointment with the Sonos system is a big one: why can't I listen to the music playing on the Sonos system through my computer? is there a way to do this???

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

99 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
No there isn't, why would you want to? Just listen to the music using your computer's music program.

I'll answer this question:

Because my computer has a high quality sound card and high fidelity speakers and since purchasing Sonos for 4 other areas of my home I often find myself wanting to hear the same audio or control the audio and listen to it in my office on the same interface I'm using for the rest of the home. This would allow a user to utilize existing audio components without further investment, and would eliminate the need for duplicate components in the same space.

I have 3 PCs in my office with a set of speakers for each. That's 3 sets of speakers in the same room. I chose Sonos to a large extent because I wanted to have a universal and powerful interface for audio throughout my home. Unless I'm willing to install an addition amplifier and a fourth set of speakers in this room, I won't be able to listen to music using the same interface as I must in the rest of my home.

For anyone who doesn't want to use their computer audio with the primary audio interface for their home, they can go out and buy another Sonos component and speakers and install them by their computer.

Simple.
Userlevel 1
If you want to listen to Sonos through your high quality computer speakers, purchase a Sonos Connect and connect it to the line-in on your soundcard. Voila! Your computer speakers are now a Sonos zone. No need for a "fourth set of speakers."

Now I know what follows: B-b-b-ut why should I have to buy a Connect? So in reality, you do not want a way to listen to Sonos through your computer speakers, you want an inexpensive or free way to listen to Sonos through your computer speakers. Right? In the four years I have personally been reading this forum, I've never seen a request for a PC based Zone that does not boil down to "I want a cheap zone."

Here's the deal: I paid for the computer, I paid for the very expensive sound system that's hooked up to it (home cinema), I paid for a Sonos system, and I paid for all the music that the Sonos system plays throughout the house. It doesn't seem out of line for me to want to leverage all of this investment so that THE COMPUTER THAT IS RUNNING THE SONOS SOFTWARE can also play, in that room, music it is pumping to elsewhere in the house. That's not a "cheap zone," is an "already paid for through the nose zone."
Userlevel 2
Badge
If you want to listen to Sonos through your high quality computer speakers, purchase a Sonos Connect and connect it to the line-in on your soundcard. Voila! Your computer speakers are now a Sonos zone. No need for a "fourth set of speakers."

Done, and working great. I actually had a Connect that I wasn't using and just didn't think of doing this, so thanks for the smart suggestion.

Now I know what follows: B-b-b-ut why should I have to buy a Connect? So in reality, you do not want a way to listen to Sonos through your computer speakers, you want an inexpensive or free way to listen to Sonos through your computer speakers. Right? In the four years I have personally been reading this forum, I've never seen a request for a PC based Zone that does not boil down to "I want a cheap zone."

Not right. Since you asked. Though I wouldn't judge anyone seeking a simpler and more inexpensive option so no thanks for the smug tone.
Userlevel 1
the number 1 reason for requesting a PC based Zone is people want a cheap way of subverting the need to buy Sonos hardware.

Pretty useless comment. After the VERY SIGNIFICANT amount of money that I have invested in Sonos hardware, I don't feel shy about saying that the computer that (a) stores the music library and (b) controls the Sonos system should also (c) be able to play the music that I'm hearing elsewhere in the house.

Just saying. Why would wanting to avoid an additional significant outlay be something deserving of disdain?
What disdain? The fact you interpreted my comment as disdain is curious.

Curious? The attitude on this thread is appalling.

If the Sonos software is running on the PC then there is absolutely no reason why it could not output to the PC speakers. That's it. The fact that they don't is a money grab.

Fortunately for me I do not own any Sonos hardware yet. I was about to start investing for speakers throughout my house but this lack of simple functionality has made me want to wait for a better solution. That coupled with the fact that the people who buy Sonos are such snobs judging by this thread.

Nick

Really love the tone! I have never participated in a forum before but I could not let you just berate people for wanting to use their computer as a zone. Others correctly point out that sound quality out of cheap computer speakers are not on par with a play 5 or play 3 so why would I want to play music through my cheap speakers? How about not wanting to have a set of speakers for the computer and a Sonos speaker on my desk. OK I could buy a $350 connect for my cheap speakers and mac mini but that would be extraordinarily stupid when a play 3 is $50 cheaper and a play 5 is only $50 more expensive. I am not in my office trying to rock out. It just would be nice to be able to listen to the music playing in other zones in my house in my office. I think Sonos need not worry about people using there software for free. They could charge a fee, but I would not pay. Most music player software is better than the Sonos music player software for example Clemintine, Banshee, Nightingale, and even iTunes are better. It obviously was not a deal breaker for me but it is annoying as was your snotty response.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
The topic of this thread was my first question when I signed up to these forums.

I am very new to music streaming of any sort, so I honestly had no idea what to expect in terms of functionality.

I now understand most of the arguments surrounding this topic, so I do now understand why it doesn't work.

If I could have one piece of input on to the whole subject, I would thoroughly recommend a forum about common issues/misconceptions. Then when the question inevitably arises again someone can just paste a link to the forum/thread that will explain. Someone gave me a link to a thread that helped me to understand. The big negative at the moment is that members who have answered these questions too many times are now answering them in a manner that seems to the reader to be very unfriendly. IMO that is not good for the forums, the products or the members who then end up in an argument which has started largely due to the tone of their reply.

I hope that my thoughts are in some small way insightful.
Not going to happen, no matter how many times you call people who try to offer you help "idiots".
The people trying to help I don't call idiots, it's the idiots that don't understand people who already have an investment in their computer sound system (mine is a home office) want the music their playing throughout the house to be in sync, it's very distracting to have it out of sync when you are trying to do your work.
People that make comments like "why would you want to", that's my category of IDIOTS!!
I think it is an oversight that SONOS has not added this feature to their excellent sound system. As proof of the number of people who want to see this feature added.
You have a good since of humor, so no more idiot jokes, but if this has been talked about for 8+ years, well then.....3.....2.....1 I'll have to call SONOS the IDOIT!!!

Take care and thanks for your help with a solution (well to spend my money) and your time. Merry Christmas!!

If you are interested, there is a long, contentious, (and probably overly technical) thread about this request linked on page one of this thread. What the whole issue boils down to is both financial and technical.

The financial is that the only multi-room streamer manufacturer who ever allowed a software "zone" (Logitech Squeezebox line) was discontinued for lack of sales. Curiously, Squeezeboxes now live on in the form of that software zone on Raspberry Pi computers costing 1/3 of what the Logitech hardware players cost. Does one really have to ask why a product line fails when they supply a piece of software that lets their users to build a version of their product for 1/3 the price?

The technical reason is the underlying PC architecture, specifically the clock. The PC clock is notoriously inaccurate, and simply cannot be relied upon to sync music (indeed, the sync feature with the Logitech software was non-existent, even worse than the fairly poor sync on their hardware players). So no matter what the case, you would need a hardware upgrade for the PC to be a fully compatible Sonos player. Sonos has decided that hardware is the Connect.
I'll answer this question:

Because my computer has a high quality sound card and high fidelity speakers and since purchasing Sonos for 4 other areas of my home I often find myself wanting to hear the same audio or control the audio and listen to it in my office on the same interface I'm using for the rest of the home. This would allow a user to utilize existing audio components without further investment, and would eliminate the need for duplicate components in the same space.

I have 3 PCs in my office with a set of speakers for each. That's 3 sets of speakers in the same room. I chose Sonos to a large extent because I wanted to have a universal and powerful interface for audio throughout my home. Unless I'm willing to install an addition amplifier and a fourth set of speakers in this room, I won't be able to listen to music using the same interface as I must in the rest of my home.

For anyone who doesn't want to use their computer audio with the primary audio interface for their home, they can go out and buy another Sonos component and speakers and install them by their computer.

Simple.

Userlevel 4
Badge +9
It doesn't seem out of line for me to want to leverage all of this investment so that THE COMPUTER THAT IS RUNNING THE SONOS SOFTWARE can also play, in that room, music it is pumping to elsewhere in the house.

This is a conceptual and factual error that goes some way to explaining your frustration with not being able to use your PC as a zone.

Your computer is not "pumping [music] to elsewhere in the house". It's not generating the music data stream at all. Your Sonos players (Connect:x, Play:x) are pulling the music files/streams from whatever source(s) you have chosen.

Yes, your PC is running Sonos software, but it's only a remote control interface, telling your Sonos zones what actions to take and displaying the results. Just the same as the iOS/Android/CR200 controllers.

So as far as your Sonos system is concerned, your PC is doing nothing special or clever at all. It's just a very big and expensive remote control. Which is why many or perhaps most of us never use a PC with our Sonos set-ups at all. And why your indignation that you can't use your PC as a zone is misplaced.
I am a bit disappointed that I can't use my computer as a music player since I can do this with my Squeezebox system. I just installed my first Connect and Bridge and will eventually replace my entire Logitech setup with Sonos components but I have grown accustomed to listening to the music streaming throughout my house in my computer room. My Home Theater PC has a Creative Xfi Titanium sound card and Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers. I obviously see the benefits to switch to Sonos but this is not one of them.
Personally I think they should offer a small usb adapter or even a program you can buy for a one time payment to make one of your computers a connect if you will at a much lower cost than a connect. I just purchased a connect and a play 5 thats $750.00 and where I come from that a lot so, It would be nice to be able to use my macbook in other areas of my home instead of having to unplug my connect and take it with me. I hope you will consider this Sonos. I would pay.
The dongle which arranb is after is an output device, not input. Basically what's requested (and not for the first time) is a cheap CONNECT.
Excellent. I also have a connect that until now has seemed redundant. Will try this now.
I too would love to be able to use the Sonos app to play music through my computer, it is crazy that you can't 😞
Ok, I'm going to help. Buy a Sonos Connect. It is designed to take analog output (the audio out from your soundcard) and digitize it for play though the Sonos system. It is also designed to output to powered speakers, like those you use for your computer. This is the Sonos solution for getting computer output to play over Sonos. No "oversight" on Sonos' part, they already have your solution.

So then you will complain about the price of a Connect and after that . . . Countdown to you calling me an idiot in . . . 3 . . . 2 . . . 1.

So whatever. But you just aren't going to get is Sonos playing over your computer without investing in a Connect, for all the reasons discussed in this and other threads by some very knowledgeable people for the last 8+ years.

You have a good since of humor, so no more idiot jokes, but if this has been talked about for 8+ years, well then.....3.....2.....1 I'll have to call SONOS the IDOIT!!!

Take care and thanks for your help with a solution (well to spend my money) and your time. Merry Christmas!!
Frankly, not being able to listen to my Sonos library on my computer speakers is just idiocy. It's easy enough to do that---there are many free apps (from Nightingale to VOX to iTunes) that will happily access a remote library, but it's an annoying hassle to have to deal with two music applications. Streaming to my computer speakers directly through the Sonos app would be a convenience that would improve this customer's loyalty at no cost to them at all, given that I'm not about to buy a Connect for this purpose---I don't have money to burn, and there are free, though annoying, options). So, the policy has annoyed a customer without improving sales. Seems dumb.
Userlevel 4
This was easy to setup with a CONNECT. People who have special needs/expectations, but want it for nothing, you are most amusing.
There is a very simple reason for wanting to play Sonos on my PC. When I'm putting together a playlist before a party (or whenever I feel like it) I shouldn't have to unplug a Sonos speaker and bring it into my office so I can screen my choices. I don't need high-fidelity, just enough to make my choices. The lack of this feature is NOT cool.
iTunes? Listening via desktops? What is this, 2004?
Userlevel 1
No there isn't, why would you want to? Just listen to the music using your computer's music program.
Badge +4
Or simply put some speakers from your Sonos system next to your computer...:-).

Seriously, why would you want this? A computer is sub-optimal for listening to music. You can use a Sonos zone in the room where your computer is, right? And with a NAS, when you switch off your computer the music plays on...
davelvb,

This is a common request, but cannot be done. There is a very long, sometimes tense thread discussing this issue. Some posters are not willing to accept that this is a fundamental hardware issue and requires a hardware fix. Feel free to join that discussion.
In the four years I have personally been reading this forum, I've never seen a request for a PC based Zone that does not boil down to "I want a cheap zone."

And that statement succinctly sums up the very long Thread that buzz posted above (See: http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=3004)

While the desire for a PC ZonePlayer is a valid one, there is a current and easy solution (the Connect), and several arguments for why a software based PC ZonePlayer will not arrive anytime soon.

For those new to these Forums who find themselves here, spend the time to review this important Thread.

Best of luck