Question

Why can't a Sonos ONE be paired with a Sonos Play 1 for rears?

• 26 October 2017
  • 4 replies

Let me first start by saying I love all of my Sonos products and they have been a dream come true in every aspect. Until now this seems like an obvious thing why on earth would I want to replace both of my Play 1's with Alexa speakers who needs 2 Alexa speakers within 15ft of each other? When I saw this i thought it would be the coolest thing ever my surround is in the main living room at my house where my family spends most of their time just swap a rear and i get an extra Play 1 for somewhere else in the house as well as the new Sonos ONE / Alexa speaker for the most used room in the home. However this can't be done am I the only one who thinks this is a bonehead idea? If you replace both rears with ONE's than you have 2 Alexa capable speakers in the same room and if you just buy the ONE and don't use it for a rear than it is literally just an Alexa with a Sonos sticker on it right? Please tell me Sonos knows about this and is trying to fix it.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

The hardware is diiferent, the sonic signature slightly different, the aesthetics are different. But the CEO has stated on Twitter that they are reconsidering and to stay tuned.
There is nothing to fix. They are not identical speakers. I imagine Sonos would expect you to keep the Play:1s and buy a Dot
The hardware is diiferent, the sonic signature slightly different, the aesthetics are different. But the CEO has stated on Twitter that they are reconsidering and to stay tuned.Sounds like that would be good for Sonos sales and goodwill so maybe we will see it
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I totally agree on your thoughts, there is an official employee reply on this thread:

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/pairing-a-play-1-with-the-new-sonos-one-6791476

What I’ve gathered around the community, is that there is no difference in sound quality between Play 1 and Sonos One. The only advantages with the Sonos One are the microphones for Alexa and in the future Google Assistant. As well as a chip that enables Apple Airplay 2 when they launch support in 2018. If you want to keep the current set-up and want Alexa, you can purchase an Amazon Echo product, like the Echo Dot. Alternatively, you can also purchase a single Sonos One and this enables support for Alexa, Google Assistant, and Airplay 2 with your current Sonos setup. For example, if you have your Sonos One in your kitchen, you can request to play a song in your living room with your current Sonos Play 1.

I’ve read a reply from a Sonos employee in another thread about a possibility of pairing a Sonos One and Play 1 as surrounds. Honestly, I was bummed out about this topic when they announced Sonos One but as long as Sonos is mentioning it is possible, I have my hopes up. Really made me think and realize, It ain’t a big deal.