Why can’t a pair of Sonos Moves be associated with a Subwoofer in a Room of their own?

• 25 June 2020
  • 8 replies

We have a Sunroom adjacent to a deck and when the weather is nice we open the sliding glass doors and put the moves on the deck railing, with the subwoofer in a doorway. The moves are assigned to the room Sunroom Deck, but the subwoofer can’t join the room.

8 replies

Due to the fact that a Move is unable to connect to a SonosNet signal, and that’s what is required to “bond” a Sub to any speaker. It’s the same reason as to why the Move can’t be used as surround speakers. It’s just missing the antenna and associated hardware necessary. 

Thanks! I thought that might be the case.
As a workaround I added the subwoofer to a pair of SubSLs up in the kitchen.

Seems to work fine. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Due to the fact that a Move is unable to connect to a SonosNet signal, and that’s what is required to “bond” a Sub to any speaker. It’s the same reason as to why the Move can’t be used as surround speakers. It’s just missing the antenna and associated hardware necessary. 

That’s not correct, Sub and surrounds work in WiFi-mode (WM:1) too.

I believe it’s due to the fact that Move was designed as a “moving” device and that would make for some weird use cases when bonded with a Sub or as surrounds

My answer had nothing whatsoever to do with a Wi-Fi connection, only a SonosNet connection.

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

You said that a SonosNet connection is required for a sub to bond to any speaker, I’m saying it’s not.

All I know is that it sounds great!

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

All I know is that it sounds great!

That is what’s most important !

This is perhaps just a matter of terminology, and @Damon77 and @Airgetlam are both correct, but talking about different aspects.

A Sonos speaker (other than the Move) can connect to a network either by WiFi or by SonosNet, and still have a Sub 'bonded' or 'paired' to it. But the connection between the speaker and Sub does not use WIFi, but direct communication using Sonos wireless tech, which may reasonably be described as SonosNet. So you are both correct.

And the Move doesn’t do any form of SonosNet connection - it doesn’t connect to the network by SonosNet, and it doesn’t connect to a Sub by SonosNet (and therefore not at all)