why arent software upgrades optional?

• 27 June 2020
  • 4 replies

I have a 3 x play:1  speaker music system which works fine for me. I can get my favourite radio stations and I’m connected to my digital record collection from my 2 WD Mycloud hard drives that sit on my home network. My Play1’s are generation 1 speakers so there’s no Alexa or google assistant and that’s fine as I don’t use the assistant I have on my Firestick. I have noticed over the past few months that Sonos is gradually pushing my system into oblivion with the announcement that they would no longer upgrade “legacy” products and that’s fine too as they work perfectly well at the moment and as the say “ if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” but with software upgrade from S1 to S2 recently I find that I can now only control my system with my iPad as my old, but still in use, iPhone 5c phones can’t upgrade to the require iOS of 11+.  I wonder when I will have to bin my speakers as they can’t be upgraded and I won’t be able to control them if they could.

Sonos please make any future upgrades backward compatible or an optional install so people like me who invested in your system years ago can still use the systems we’ve grown to love. 

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

On all of your controller apps, select Settings, System, and scroll down to System Updates in the System Settings section. There’s a toggle for Update Automatically.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Then you have to also configure your App Store to not automatically upgrade the app.

Or use a third party app that will never upgrade your system.

On all of your controller apps, select Settings, System, and scroll down to System Updates in the System Settings section. There’s a toggle for Update Automatically.

I think this only has to be done with one controller, as it is a system setting.  Then you have to stop all the controllers updating, as mentioned by @controlav .

@Llewellyn David   You may find that your phone’s OS is partially supported, so that system control is possible, just not system admin tasks.

I know someone who is using a ZP100 and a CR100. For relatively new users, these are from 2005. Because she does not own a cellphone I have instructed her to not update her SONOS system because the CR100 will not be welcome. Unfortunately, some of the latest Internet Radio station listings are no longer compatible with her version and she cannot play her favorite station. At this point she will need to purchase an appropriate controller device and update her system or give up her favorite station.

I suspect that this will eventually happen to S1 users too.

I’m also encouraging her to update the 15 year old player with a modern unit.