When Will the Play:5 (Gen 2) be Replaced/Updated?

• 22 January 2020
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

When will the Play:5 (Gen 2) be replaced/updated to have voice-assistant capabilities, and adhere to the new Sonos design language and colour scheme? I want to upgrade my Play:5 (Gen 1), but do not want to buy the current product, which I think will be one of the next on the legacy list.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

It’s the cheapest way to give it a voice assistant at this time, while you wait for May to get clarity from Sonos on how to use it after May 2020. That clarity may also help you understand the nature of the gamble you may take thereafter if you were to get the gen 2 5 unit.

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Such concerns have just been given legitimacy by none other than Sonos with their latest announcement. A good approach for you now would be to get the latest smart front end from Google or Amazon for about USD 30 and wire it to the line in jacks on the 5 unit.

Why would the addition of an Amazon Echo or Google Home be a good approach? It won’t address the legacy aspect of my system and prevent it from being frozen from May 2020. The only Sonos solution is to buy the Play:5 (Gen 2) or downgrade to Sonos One or One SL, both options I find unpalatable at this moment.

When will the Play:5 (Gen 2) be replaced/updated to have voice-assistant capabilities, and adhere to the new Sonos design language and colour scheme? I want to upgrade my Play:5 (Gen 1), but do not want to buy the current product, which I think will be one of the next on the legacy list.

Such concerns have just been given legitimacy by none other than Sonos with their latest announcement. A good approach for you now would be to get the latest smart front end from Google or Amazon for about USD 30 and wire it to the line in jacks on the 5 unit.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Well 256 MB is a lot more than what is in the discontinued gear and more than the PlayBar and Play 1.

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Well, none of that is good news. Having just had a bunch of Gen 1s be declared obsolescent, I’m certainly looking for a replacement before my setup gets frozen. Sad that Sonos don’t actually have a contemporary replacement available.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

No microphone

Dated design

Overpriced for what it is.

Many cheaper and better competitors that also sound better.

+1 - 

In addition, it only has 256mb memory definitely not a decent amount. Even the cheapo Ikea speakers have 512mb. It will be sunset soon enough.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

No microphone

Dated design

Overpriced for what it is.

Many cheaper and better competitors that also sound better.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Nobody has reported anything replacing the Play 5 Gen 2 on the FCC site, usually the best indication of pending new gear.

The Gen 2 Play 5 should be around for a long time as it has decent amounts of memory and a newer radio.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Nobody knows but it is due. They better get a current Playbar before doing anything else.

A $400 bluetooth speaker should have been far down the list.