What Subwoofer should i buy to the Sonos Connect Amp?

• 23 September 2014
  • 34 replies

Userlevel 2
What Subwoofer should i buy to my newly bought Sonos Connect Amp and Dali Zensor 5:s? I have no clue about Subwoofers so i really need help. I dont even know if i should get an active subwoofer or an passive subwoofer. 🙂

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

34 replies

Userlevel 2
Hello from Romania.

i Have noticed that you have the quad 11L speakers. I own the bigger Quad 22L speakers.
Do you think the Sonos Connect Amp is able to drive those speakers ?
How do you think the sonos connect amp is wrking on stereo music ? Is this a good amp in your opinion ?

I hope i dont buther you with my questions.
Have a nice day
Thank tou !

I would recommend a Sonos Sub, using one myself with a Connect Amp and pair of Quad 11L speakers.
However, the Quads are a stand mounted small enclosure type compared to the floor standing Zensor 5s - I would question the need for a sub with them.
But if you must have a sub, either get a Sonos Sub that can be crossed over as low as 50hz, not using the sub out on the Connect Amp which has a fixed crossover of 80hz that doesn't quite suit the Zensor 5s. If you prefer a third party sub, see ones like RELs, that allow a high level input, where they are connected to the speaker terminals on the Connect Amp and not its sub out that does the 80hz crossover.
I own the bigger Quad 22L speakers.
Do you think the Sonos Connect Amp is able to drive those speakers ?
How do you think the sonos connect amp is wrking on stereo music ? Is this a good amp in your opinion ?

The Connect Amp is as good as any other up to 55 watts/channel stereo amp in the market today. Mine works very well and has replaced Quad amplification because of its convenience.
It will drive the 22L quite well too - as well as any other up to 55 watt per channel amp, if you are using that type today. But if you want it to go very loud in a large room, you may need more power, something like 100-120 watts per channel.
Userlevel 2
The Connect Amp is as good as any other up to 55 watts/channel stereo amp in the market today. Mine works very well and has replaced Quad amplification because of its convenience.
It will drive the 22L quite well too - as well as any other up to 55 watt per channel amp, if you are using that type today. But if you want it to go very loud in a large room, you may need more power, something like 100-120 watts per channel.

Thank you for the answer.
I dont know if its the wright place to ask, but here it goes: What can you tell me about the quality of the music from google play music on Sonos connect amp. Is it close to cd quality ? is it better than itunes ?
Thank you again !
What can you tell me about the quality of the music from google play music on Sonos connect amp. Is it close to cd quality ? is it better than itunes ?

No idea, I haven't used it. In general though the quality of the music is much more dependent on recording/mastering quality. I have a lot of excellent jazz from ECM, bought on iTunes in lossy 256kbps files. It sounds better than some of my CDs that I have ripped using lossless, both played through a Connect Amp + SUB + third party speakers.
Userlevel 2
Badge
The Connect Amp is as good as any other up to 55 watts/channel stereo amp in the market today.

Really ? Statements like that suggests you've had every amp on the market today or at least heard a good variety.

I've had the connect amp myself.....sent it back pronto as a cheap vintage Sony receiver sounded better to my ears. It may be good for bookies in a smallish room, but I'd look elsewhere to drive towers to higher spl's in a medium to large room.
Really ? Statements like that suggests you've had every amp on the market today or at least heard a good variety.

I've had the connect amp myself.....sent it back pronto as a cheap vintage Sony receiver sounded better to my ears. It may be good for bookies in a smallish room, but I'd look elsewhere to drive towers to higher spl's in a medium to large room.

Really?
I have owned about ten of different makes ranging from a 20wpc tube one to a 250wpc solid state and heard maybe as many more.
Which amp of up to 55 into 8 ohms wpc did you find that sounds better? If yes, did that better hold up in a level matched DBT?
The purpose of having this site is to give neutral suggestions based on what sounds better. It seems there are couple of guys giving sonos recommendation on every topic.
I'm afraid I need to disagree with you. This is a Sonos owned and operated/moderated website, not a neutral site like the AVS forum. You should expect to get a significant amount of Sonos feedback here.

If you're looking for unbiased information, you'll certainly get some here, mixed in with the Sonos based information, but you should not expect purely unbiased data on one company's support site.
Agreed 😠