What Subwoofer should i buy to the Sonos Connect Amp?

• 23 September 2014
  • 34 replies

Userlevel 2
What Subwoofer should i buy to my newly bought Sonos Connect Amp and Dali Zensor 5:s? I have no clue about Subwoofers so i really need help. I dont even know if i should get an active subwoofer or an passive subwoofer. 🙂

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

34 replies

What Subwoofer should i buy to my newly bought Sonos Connect Amp and Dali Zensor 5:s? I have no clue about Subwoofers so i really need help. I dont even know if i should get an active subwoofer or an passive subwoofer. :)

You would need a powered (active) sub. Budget will greatly affect your choices, as will size and impact requirements. An old adage in subwoofer design is:

Cost, Size, Power, Extension. Pick any three, the fourth is non-negotiable.
I would recommend a Sonos Sub, using one myself with a Connect Amp and pair of Quad 11L speakers.
However, the Quads are a stand mounted small enclosure type compared to the floor standing Zensor 5s - I would question the need for a sub with them.
But if you must have a sub, either get a Sonos Sub that can be crossed over as low as 50hz, not using the sub out on the Connect Amp which has a fixed crossover of 80hz that doesn't quite suit the Zensor 5s. If you prefer a third party sub, see ones like RELs, that allow a high level input, where they are connected to the speaker terminals on the Connect Amp and not its sub out that does the 80hz crossover.
Userlevel 2
You would need a powered (active) sub. Budget will greatly affect your choices, as will size and impact requirements. An old adage in subwoofer design is:

Cost, Size, Power, Extension. Pick any three, the fourth is non-negotiable.

Ok, so the Connect Amp wont drive an passive sub well?
Userlevel 2
I would recommend a Sonos Sub, using one myself with a Connect Amp and pair of Quad 11L speakers.
However, the Quads are a stand mounted small enclosure type compared to the floor standing Zensor 5s - I would question the need for a sub with them.
But if you must have a sub, either get a Sonos Sub that can be crossed over as low as 50hz, not using the sub out on the Connect Amp which has a fixed crossover of 80hz that doesn't quite suit the Zensor 5s. If you prefer a third party sub, see ones like RELs, that allow a high level input, where they are connected to the speaker terminals on the Connect Amp and not its sub out that does the 80hz crossover.

Im sorry but i dont quite understand, do you mean that a subwoofer connected to the subwoofer-out on the Connect Amp wont go lower then 80hz and that does not suit the Zensor 5:s? How dont that suit the Zensor 5? Im sorry im such a newbie and that im probably asking alot of stupid questions. 🙂
Userlevel 1
Im sorry but i dont quite understand, do you mean that a subwoofer connected to the subwoofer-out on the Connect Amp wont go lower then 80hz and that does not suit the Zensor 5:s? How dont that suit the Zensor 5? Im sorry im such a newbie and that im probably asking alot of stupid questions. :)
No, other way around, if the Connect:Amp detects anything attached to the sub-out it will cut all frequencies below 80Hz from the main speakers and send them all to the sub-woofer.

What Kumar is saying is that the Dalis, being floorstanders, are probably quite capable at frequencies below 80Hz, so would possibly benefit from a lower crossover (say 50Hz for example), which the Connect:Amp can't provide.

It would still work though, you wouldn't be left with a hole in the sound or anything, it's just that the sub would be handling frequencies that you may be better letting the Dalis deal with.

It would be easier to make recommendations if we had some idea of your budget as well.

It would be easier to make recommendations if we had some idea of your budget as well.

Indeed.
I would also recommend holding off from a sub for a while till you know what is it that you are missing that you want a sub to fill in for the music you like. See if moving the speakers closer to the walls is of help - these moves are easily done.
And if you do get a sub, be sure to get it on a returnable basis if you don't like what it does to the sound from the main speaker pair. Subwoofer integration for music play can be tricky and doesn't always work. Boosting low frequency sound energy can cause unwanted interaction with the room and often in such cases, a less is better approach where bass is concerned gives better overall sound quality.
Userlevel 2
No, other way around, if the Connect:Amp detects anything attached to the sub-out it will cut all frequencies below 80Hz from the main speakers and send them all to the sub-woofer.

What Kumar is saying is that the Dalis, being floorstanders, are probably quite capable at frequencies below 80Hz, so would possibly benefit from a lower crossover (say 50Hz for example), which the Connect:Amp can't provide.

It would still work though, you wouldn't be left with a hole in the sound or anything, it's just that the sub would be handling frequencies that you may be better letting the Dalis deal with.

Oh, thank you VERY much, now i get it. 😮
Im not excactly sure of my budget since it depends alot on how much money i have to spend to get a good wubwoofer, i think im prepared to pay enough to get a suitable subwoofer. The guy at the store that sold me the Dali Zensor 5:s and the Connect Amp recommended DALI Sub E-9F which costs around 470 Euro here so maybe that will be my budget if you dont give me a good reason to go higher, im open to all suggestions. 🙂 I understand what you mean with the low frequencies being better handled by the Floorspeakers. This is the subwoofer the guy at the store recommended:

http://www.dali-speakers.com/en-US/Loudspeakers-1/SUB-E-9-F.aspx
Userlevel 2
Indeed.
I would also recommend holding off from a sub for a while till you know what is it that you are missing that you want a sub to fill in for the music you like. See if moving the speakers closer to the walls is of help - these moves are easily done.
And if you do get a sub, be sure to get it on a returnable basis if you don't like what it does to the sound from the main speaker pair. Subwoofer integration for music play can be tricky and doesn't always work. Boosting low frequency sound energy can cause unwanted interaction with the room and often in such cases, a less is better approach where bass is concerned gives better overall sound quality.

I will buy something thats returnable, thanks for the tip! 🙂 Im very grateful to you guys for helping me out!
This is the subwoofer the guy at the store recommended:

http://www.dali-speakers.com/en-US/Loudspeakers-1/SUB-E-9-F.aspx

From what I see of the spec it only accepts input from the Connect Amp's sub out jack, that will divert all bass from 80hz down from the main speakers to the Sub - making your floor standers the equivalent of a cheaper Zensor 1 or 3.
I am not saying it won't work not having tried it, but in effect you are losing the value for the extra you paid for the 5 over the 1 or the 3.
No harm in trying it out as long as you are able to return it if it doesn't add to music sound quality.
PS: Cut and paste from the Dali website, fyi: "The DALI SUB E-9 F is recommended as compliment to the KUBIK FREE as well as the compact models of the ZENSOR and FAZON series.".
Userlevel 2
From what I see of the spec it only accepts input from the Connect Amp's sub out jack, that will divert all bass from 80hz down from the main speakers to the Sub - making your floor standers the equivalent of a cheaper Zensor 1 or 3.
I am not saying it won't work not having tried it, but in effect you are losing the value for the extra you paid for the 5 over the 1 or the 3.
No harm in trying it out as long as you are able to return it if it doesn't add to music sound quality.
PS: Cut and paste from the Dali website, fyi: "The DALI SUB E-9 F is recommended as compliment to the KUBIK FREE as well as the compact models of the ZENSOR and FAZON series.".

Hm, you make some really good points, maybe i should rethink the subwoofer it thats the case... Or do you have some other tip on what subwoofer to buy and how to connect it so that wont happen?

maybe i should rethink the subwoofer it thats the case... Or do you have some other tip on what subwoofer to buy and how to connect it so that wont happen?

In your place I would first see if the music I like has bass content that goes lower than what the floor standers can deliver, to an extent that dilutes music enjoyment.
If yes, a Sonos Sub can be set to as low as 50hz with the Connect Amp, leaving content above that with the main speakers.
Or look for subs that take inputs wired from the speaker terminals of the Connect Amp to a high level input on the Sub - this leaves the main speakers delivering all the music they would if there was no Sub in place. Crossover is then selected in the Sub in a manner that allows it to add to what the main speakers do with bass content. REL recommends this as the best way to connect their subs, even though they can take a line level input from the Connect Amp sub out as well.
As to what will sound best in your set up - the Dali Sub, Sonos, or a REL kind of Sub, I don't have the experience to say, maybe others here can help.
Userlevel 2
In your place I would first see if the music I like has bass content that goes lower than what the floor standers can deliver, to an extent that dilutes music enjoyment.
If yes, a Sonos Sub can be set to as low as 50hz with the Connect Amp, leaving content above that with the main speakers.
Or look for subs that take inputs wired from the speaker terminals of the Connect Amp to a high level input on the Sub - this leaves the main speakers delivering all the music they would if there was no Sub in place. Crossover is then selected in the Sub in a manner that allows it to add to what the main speakers do with bass content. REL recommends this as the best way to connect their subs, even though they can take a line level input from the Connect Amp sub out as well.
As to what will sound best in your set up - the Dali Sub, Sonos, or a REL kind of Sub, I don't have the experience to say, maybe others here can help.
Ok, invaluable advice for a newbie like me. 🙂 Just to be clear, my interest in a subwoofer is mainly for movies. A long time ago I had Wharfedale Floorspeakers and an active Heco Sub, I just bought what I thought sounded good and knew and know nothing about technical stuff. I used to turn off the subwoofer for music and turn it on for movies, it was a bit unpractical but I thought it sounded better. But like you say, I don't think I will buy a subwoofer now after all, you are my soundguru Kumar! 😉
my interest in a subwoofer is mainly for movies.

I used to turn off the subwoofer for music and turn it on for movies, it was a bit unpractical but I thought it sounded better.

How are you planning to see movies with the set up - TV to line in on the Connect Amp?
One advantage of the Sonos Sub is that turning it on/off is easily and quickly done via the controller on your handheld device. And setting the crossover for it at 50-60hz may even work well for both movies and music. I would suggest this route only if you are going to watch movies on the set up as well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
if budget is an issue and you're after a good active sub then check out
http://www.mjacoustics.co.uk/MJ_Acoustics/Product_html/PRO_50_MKIII.html

MJ do great subs at a very good price (< half Sonos)

I had this running through Connect Amp and Dynaudio speakers for a while and it sounded fantastic.

I had this running through Connect Amp and Dynaudio speakers for a while and it sounded fantastic.

How had you wired it - high level from amp speaker terminals or line level from the sub out jack? Did you try both to see what gives better results?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
How had you wired it - high level from amp speaker terminals or line level from the sub out jack? Did you try both to see what gives better results?

I only used the line level so cant compare. The sub has a variable crossover so could adjust to get the level right with the Dynaudio 42s (for my ears anyway!)
Userlevel 2
Hi . same question for me , sort of ..
I have a sonos connect amp and Elipson Planet L speakers . They look great and sound awesome, but it lacks base, I knew I needed a sub , when I bought the system. The sonus Sub was about to come onto the market as I bought the system, so I waited,..so now I have some money again to complete the system.
The high end audio shop , where I bougt the setup 'wont' sell me the sonos sub as they say it doest work well with the sonos connect Amp, instead they advise me the sub with goes with this speaker line. ( Elipson Planet Sub) , which is cheaper, so not a commercial issue I think. (And they are the kind of shop where you can drink coffee and listen for hours in their audio rooms and dont buy anything...)
You guys have any Ideas on this ?
Thanks
( first post woohoo..)

The high end audio shop , where I bougt the setup 'wont' sell me the sonos sub as they say it doest work well with the sonos connect Amp, instead they advise me the sub with goes with this speaker line. ( Elipson Planet Sub) , which is cheaper, so not a commercial issue I think.

If they don't have the Sonos Sub to sell, it is a commercial issue.
I don't know those speakers, but from my use I do know that the Sonos Sub works very well with the Connect Amp + typical stand mount speakers that don't do deep bass well. Expensive, but it is convenient and sounds good - and also allows you to see crossover at 10hz steps from 50hz to 110 hz, based on what works best, unlike third party subs that the Connect Amp will force a 80 hz cross over on.
I also don't know the Elipson Sub you refer to, so I can't offer a side by side comparison with the Sonos Sub.
PS: The best thing to do is try both for some time at home and finally buy the one that sounds best to you in your home. And now that I have taken a look at the Elipson site, I would cross over the Connect Amp at 110 hz, if I could keep the Sonos Sub centred between them and having it face the room as the two speakers do.
Userlevel 2
If they don't have the Sonos Sub to sell, it is a commercial issue.
I don't know those speakers, but from my use I do know that the Sonos Sub works very well with the Connect Amp + typical stand mount speakers that don't do deep bass well. Expensive, but it is convenient and sounds good - and also allows you to see crossover at 10hz steps from 50hz to 110 hz, based on what works best, unlike third party subs that the Connect Amp will force a 80 hz cross over on.
I also don't know the Elipson Sub you refer to, so I can't offer a side by side comparison with the Sonos Sub.

Thanks fo rthe quick reply, they do sell all sonos products, thats the strange thing..
Thanks fo rthe quick reply, they do sell all sonos products, thats the strange thing..
Check my PS too - and if they do, easy for you to try both at home?
Userlevel 2
Indeed, having them both at home is a good option.
I’ve been reading a bit about the subwoofer crossover thing ( didn’t know what it was)
If I understand correctly what you mean, the speakers I have don’t have a lot of base at all , maybe 80 hz for a standard sub connected to the sonos Amp would be a bit too low , and I would still miss a bit of power in the lower sound range.
That would make the sonos sub a better option, cause the wireless connection to the amp + the software will make it able to tweak the crossover output.
I wont be able to put a sub centered between the speakers, does that make a difference ?

That would make the sonos sub a better option, cause the wireless connection to the amp + the software will make it able to tweak the crossover output.
I wont be able to put a sub centered between the speakers, does that make a difference ?

With small sized speakers, the lesser the bass they have to deal with, the better they can do the rest of the music. Hence, higher the crossover the better for such speakers - this, in addition to your correct understanding.
The issue with bass above approximately 80hz is that most people can hear where it comes from - so you don't want it to come from a corner because you will hear it so and it will sound unnatural. Hence the advice to keep the Sub in the centre if you are crossing over much above 80hz.
Simplest way to compare is to crossover the Sonos Sub at 80hz, keep it where convenient, as you would the other Sub, and buy the one that makes the most pleasing addition of bass to your music sound/experience. Note that for both Subs, it is a good idea to move them around within your zone of convenience to see where they seem to do most for the experience.
Note also that with a crossover above 80hz, it isn't essential that the Sub is exactly centred - it just needs to be approximately so, lying in about the same plane as the two speakers it is meant to replace for bass duties.
Userlevel 2
Thabks for the clear explanation . I will try both and let you guys know.
Userlevel 2
great explanation
Userlevel 2
i use my old audiopro b250