Question

What should I pair with the playbar?

I want to pair my playbar with a speaker/s on an opposite wall (8m away). Essentially the purpose is to play music and fill the room with sound but also to watch TV and get sound coming from the front and back of the room. I'm not worried about a surround sound effect. Can I pair with a play3 or play5 ? Are there any disadvantages / problems with doing this? I know that play1's are probably the most appropriate solution but I'm keen to know if the 3 or 5 can work as well?
Thank You

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

So, you don't really care about surround sound at all, but just music? Then I'd recommend whatever device sounds best to your ears. Any of the three (Play:1, Play:3 and Play:5 Gen 2) all sound good, and it boils down to your ears, and your budget.

Not a lot of help, I know, but at the end of the day, it's your ears that need to be satisfied.

And since you're pairing, rather than bonding, they'll be for music only. You'd need to bond them with the playbar to function as surrounds. Of course, you could still use them for music by changing the settings from Ambient to Full in the room settings. That's what I've done in my home, in one of the rooms that I have a Playbar in. In the other, I actually have a pair of Play:3s set up to act as music speakers, while a pair of Play:1s function as surrounds. Yea, I know, a tad extravagant. But it works for me. 🙂
Bruce, thanks for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate that. May I just clarify with you please. Are you saying that I can pair both the playbar and a play 3 for instance but only use it for music or can I pair them and have each broadcast the sound from the TV ? I'm trying to achieve sound from the TV coming from the front and back of the room.
I have play 1's in another set up in another room and find them weak, What I am trying to achieve in room 2 is a much bigger sound from the TV, I'm not too bothered about surround sound,
Thanks mate
Dave
Laugh. So sorry for being obtuse, it wasn't my intention.

Welcome to the difficult world of Sonos' terminology. Pairing, Bonding and Grouping, three entirely different concepts.

Pairing is how you set up stereo pairs. They must be like speakers, so no pairing a Play:3 with a Play:5, for instance. Once paired, you end up with a Left and a Right speaker, just like with your old stereo.

Bonding is what you do to permanently connect a set of speakers. You do it with the SUB, or Surround speakers, which then are "permanently" associated with some speaker(s). I use quotes, because it's not difficult to unbond them, just tedious, and not something you want to do frequently due to that. But if you were to do that with that pair of speakers, then they'd be associated with your Playbar, and would function as both surround speakers when you're playing TV, and then normal speakers when you're playing music. By the way, when you do this, the Playbar will communicate with the surrounds on the 5Ghz band, which helps with synchronization. This is, in fact, the way I'd recommend. You'll see why in a moment.

Finally, Grouping, when you select several "rooms" or sets of speakers to all play the same thing. There's a slight caveat, though. Due to the fact that grouping happens on the 2.4GHz band, it's not quite as quick as the 5Ghz band, so there would be a minor delay of about 70ms between the sound from the Playbar and any non-surround speakers connected to it. So you'd end up with a mild case of stadium delay between the two speakers.

It's really difficult to do speakers on one side of the room have the same TV sound as a playbar on the other. I don't really know what would happen if you pushed the TV into PCM/Stereo, it may still interpolate the data into surround sound.

I hope I've helped, and not muddied the waters.
Bruce, you are a legend mate. Once again thanks. Now I understand ! To be honest I'm still in two or even three minds what to do and what I will benefit from. I'm going to sit on the fence for now and keep the cash in the back pocket until I get comfortable with what I really want.

I don't have a sub as yet, do you ? Worth it or not ?

Dave
You're more than welcome, sir!

Yes, I have two subs, each of them are connected to a 5.1 TV system. To be honest, I was rather pleased with the sound coming from my Playbar, it seemed to be perfect, and then I purchased the sub. Holy cow, what a transformation for movies! I had no idea. I'd say it's worth it.
I want 2 play 5's in stereo for music. I would also like a playbar for tv, just to make a fuller sound.
When I connect the playbar to the tv can I then watch YouTube on the tv and have the sound come out my play 5's? Don't care if The music comes out the playbar. Sub to be added later.

In short I want to play whatever is on my tv thru my play 5's.

Thanks in advance.
Ed
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If you add 2 x Play 5s as surrounds then you would hear some audio through the Play 5s when watching YT on the TV. HOWEVER, you would not hear much.

If you GROUPED the Play 5s to the Playbar then you would hear the full music through the speakers but with a delay to the pictures of around 70 ms
I'm not looking for surround sound. I want stereo music. Playbar to add sound to the tv.
I heard if I have a playbar I can play anything from my tv to my play 5's in stereo. And if I want I can listen to the tv thru the playbar and the play 5's together.
Adding a sub later.
5.1 means nothing at this time.
Loud stereo sound is!! Hoping to play YouTube from my tv to my speakers.
Thanks for your help.
Ed
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
So if you have a Stereo pair of Play 5s in the same room as your Playbar and you start to watch a Youtube clip on your TV the sound will come through your Playbar.
If you then BOND the Stereo pair of Play 5s to the Playbar then they will play the same audio as the Playbar (ie YouTube).

BUT, the sound in the Play 5s WILL be around 70ms behind the Playbar. In order to stop this driving you insane you will need to set the volume of the Playbar to zero. There will likely be a lip synch issue but if you are only listening and not looking at the lips it won't affect you.

This statement of yours "And if I want I can listen to the tv thru the playbar and the play 5's together. " - As I said, Not really if you bond them as there will be a delay between the Playbar and the 5s which would render the experience unlistenable (if they are in the same room)
I think I understand, but just want to be sure. I have a playbar, sub and 2 play-5's. I want to use the Play 5's for surrounds when I am using the TV as a source.

My question is, if I want to just play music in the room, will the 5's act as speakers for that ? or once they are bonded as surrounds, they are always and only surrounds ?

And if they are bonded as surounds, do they act as stereo speakers (as if paired) when there is only music as a source ?

I am trying to find a way to fill a large room (kitchen and family room) with music that sounds great, but also have it act as a great theater room.

To throw one more loop into the mix, I would be willing to put play 5's in each corner of the room. So would the config then be
Rear play 5's are bonded to the playbar as surrounds. Sub is bonded to playbar. Front play 5's are for music only, so they are paired to be stereo, but will all 4 play 5's act as music speakers then ?

The other option is I just put up play 5's and a sub for music, and a playbar, some play-3's or 1's for surrounds and a sub. But I am trying to do away with duplicating speakers.

Thanks all.
I think I understand, but just want to be sure. I have a playbar, sub and 2 play-5's. I want to use the Play 5's for surrounds when I am using the TV as a source.

My question is, if I want to just play music in the room, will the 5's act as speakers for that ? or once they are bonded as surrounds, they are always and only surrounds ?

And if they are bonded as surounds, do they act as stereo speakers (as if paired) when there is only music as a source ?

I am trying to find a way to fill a large room (kitchen and family room) with music that sounds great, but also have it act as a great theater room.

To throw one more loop into the mix, I would be willing to put play 5's in each corner of the room. So would the config then be
Rear play 5's are bonded to the playbar as surrounds. Sub is bonded to playbar. Front play 5's are for music only, so they are paired to be stereo, but will all 4 play 5's act as music speakers then ?

The other option is I just put up play 5's and a sub for music, and a playbar, some play-3's or 1's for surrounds and a sub. But I am trying to do away with duplicating speakers.

Thanks all.
They stay bonded as surrounds. You do have the choice of Full or Ambient surrounds for music sources. Full gives you full volume from both the Playbar and surrounds, Ambient gives full volume through the Playbar and just ambient, low level volume in the surrounds.
So if I had the 5's as surrounds, when playing tv source, they would be in ambient mode and act as surrounds ? but when I was playing music, say from spotify, they would automatically switch to full mode ? Would they be stereo, and would the sub work wtih them in full mode ?

when in full mode, does the playbar still output the music only source ?
Switching modes is not automatically done - AFAIK.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
So if I had the 5's as surrounds, when playing tv source, they would be in ambient mode and act as surrounds ? but when I was playing music, say from spotify, they would automatically switch to full mode ? Would they be stereo, and would the sub work wtih them in full mode ?

when in full mode, does the playbar still output the music only source ?

When playing the TV source the Play 5s, Sub and Playbar play a 5.1 surround. Obviously how much audio goes through the 5s and Sub depends on the format of the audio signal you send to the Playbar - If it is DD 5.1 you will get the audio out of the 5s as the designer of the audio intended. If you send stereo then the Playbar creates a simulated 5.1 so it will send sounds it thinks are ambient to the surround.

For music playback (NOT from the TV source) then the audio mode will be whatever you selected in the advanced audio settings for that room. So if it's FULL then yes it would be stereo and the Sub would be used. There will also be music coming from the Playbar but at a much reduced level than the Ambient setting